Hello, Mousy mouse! Welcome to Wikitravel.
To help get you started contributing, we've created a tips for new contributors page, full of helpful links about policies and guidelines and style, as well as some important information on copyleft and basic stuff like how to edit a page. If you need help, check out Wikitravel:Help, or post a message in the travellers' pub.
I've moved your test page to your userspace, so it's now at User:Mousy mouse/nav. You might also want to look at Wikitravel:Templates for some guidance on how Wikitravel uses templates. Thanks for contributing! -- Ryan • (talk) • 19:36, 16 March 2011 (EDT)
- One additional request, Wikitravel makes fairly minimal use of categories, so when your test is done can you remove the categories from the test page to avoid polluting Special:Categories? Thanks! -- Ryan • (talk) • 19:38, 16 March 2011 (EDT)
Great job with this article! Thank you so much! Your work is highly appreciated! Warm regards, IBAlex 18:14, 22 February 2013 (EST)
- Thanks for the compliment. I have driven in many countries as a tourist in my life, and I have a lot of experience with this topic, so I thought this would be good information to share with other travelers. I am still not finished with this article, and being a veteran world traveler, I am planning on writing many more articles on travel topics providing other useful information I have to share. Mousy mouse 23:12, 23 February 2013 (EST)
- Great to hear that! I am so looking forward to seeing your contributions! Creating a page Driving in a foreign country was a great idea as this information can clearly help numerous travelers. I am sure that you have experienced lots of different situations on the road and your knowledge will be very valuable here. Thank you for your willingness to create more articles on Wikitravel! I would be delighted to feature some of them on the Main Page in the section Discover. Just let me know when you are ready.
- Also, we have a very interesting section Top Destinations on the Main Page. We are open to new ideas from the community on what to display next. Maybe "Best Countries for the Road trip"? "Best Road trips?". Your suggestions would be more than welcomed:) Thank you! Warm regards, IBAlex 16:01, 25 February 2013 (EST)
Thank you for all the articles you created! Truly great job! Thank you also for categorizing the articles. On your User Page you mentioned you would need some help with that, let me know. Also feel free to make a note on the pub. Cheers! IBAlex 14:50, 12 March 2013 (EDT)
- Thanks. I am just at the beginning, and there are many more articles I wish to create. Plus there is a lot more I wish to add to the articles I have already written. Rome was not built in one day, of course. If you wish to help out with the categories, feel free to do so at your own pace during your free time. I don't know whether or not you are familiar with how articles are categorized on Wikipedia, but I am trying to follow that structure. Every article then would fit into up to several categories. There are many categories yet to be created. Mousy mouse 15:29, 12 March 2013 (EDT)
- Thanks for your reply! I have just done a small research about the categories on Wikitravel and I found this page. It actually says that However, unlike Wikipedia, Wikitravel has made the decision not to use this feature, except in very limited way. Therefore, i am actually puzzled if we should carry on with creating the categories. Warm regards, IBAlex 16:34, 12 March 2013 (EDT)
- Categories can be very useful to hardworking editors like Mousy and I agree with Ryan's proposals as amended and modified on that policy page's discussion page but would like to suggest that some categories that are not useful to our readers be hidden categories and I have amended the long outdated policy page accordingly. This being a Wiki, anyone who has a contrary view that a consensus has not been reached there, is very welcome to revert me - as long as they expound their rationale there! --118dot93dot73dot30 17:22, 12 March 2013 (EDT)
- PS: That discussion page might also be a suitable place to discuss new categories (and reasons for having them) in advance of their actual creation... --118dot93dot73dot30 17:33, 12 March 2013 (EDT)
- The problem with this system is that it doesn't work for a project that contains over 80K pages. When you have that many pages, you really need to categorize them in the same way you do with Wikipedia. The current system has a single page called Travel topics, which is a list of many different pages with no rhyme or reason to their order, and no guideline as to what the include here or how to organize it. It is also very long, so it is hard to search for anything here. Mousy mouse 18:27, 12 March 2013 (EDT)
Please note I have copied this discussion here to continue it in a more suitable place. Mousy mouse 18:29, 12 March 2013 (EDT)
Thank you for great contributions
This barnstar is to show you appreciation for your great work on Wikitravel.
Your contributions on Wikitravel are outstanding! Thank you for all the articles you have created and for your efforts with categorizing articles. You help us make Wikitravel a better travel guide. Thank you! Please keep it up. Warm regards, IBAlex (talk) 18:04, 16 April 2013 (EDT)
- Thank you IBAlex Mousy mouse (talk) 22:07, 16 April 2013 (EDT)
Hi Mousy mouse! How have you been doing recently? I hope all is good. I found a user (User:WindowsNT) who is interested in helping us with creating more Travel topics articles that are related to technology. He has already helped us update Travel photography article and is willing to contribute more. Any suggestions which article he can work now? (either creating a new one or updating already existing one). I'm asking you since you have become an expert in the Travel topics on Wikitravel. Warm regards, IBAlex (talk) 18:52, 31 July 2013 (EDT)
- I would say that one should look at the List of travel topics I have created and decide from that which ones they want to work on. Everyone has their own individual areas they can contribute to. It is all their call. Mousy mouse (talk) 01:44, 1 August 2013 (EDT)
Hello Mousy mouse! We are very thankful for your help on Wikitravel and the travel topics you created! It’s great to have you in our Wikitravel community! We would love to express our appreciation by sending you a small gift (a mug with Wikitravel logo). Please let me know if you would like to receive it (I hope that yes). I'm looking forward to hearing back from you. Warm regards, IBAlex (talk) 17:59, 25 March 2014 (EDT)
- Hello Mousy mouse, did you have a chance to read the message above? Warm regards, IBAlex (talk) 13:16, 6 May 2014 (EDT)
- I did. I don't edit WT every day. But I do whenever I can. Mousy mouse (talk) 17:54, 6 May 2014 (EDT)
- Thank you! Would you like to get this small gift (a mug with Wikitravel logo) as our way of expressing our appreciation for your contributions to WT? If yes, please send me your mailing address to awocial (at) internetbrands.com and we will ship it to you. Warm regards, IBAlex (talk) 18:00, 6 May 2014 (EDT)
- No thanks. I am not a coffee drinker. It just feels good to be able to help out others with whatever knowledge I have. Mousy mouse (talk) 16:54, 7 May 2014 (EDT)
- No problem. Thanks again for your contributions! Cheers! IBAlex (talk) 16:56, 7 May 2014 (EDT)