See also User talk:Evan/Archives
Old Town School of Folk Music
Since you are going through Chicago... this is a must. See the article for details. Check out the Wiggle-Worms CDs and books. -- Mark 00:32, 2 March 2006 (EST)
I'm very sorry for my comment. No offence was meant. I was under the impression from IRC conversations some time ago that this was the case. Thankyou for setting me straight. The_bellman 02:22, 2 March 2006 (EST)
- (For those of you following along at home, Robin is referring to a message I left on his Wikinews user page at http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/User_talk:The_bellman#Wikitravel_and_Wikipedia ).
- That's no problem; I just wanted to clear up a misconception that I found disconcerting. Wikitravellers work extremely hard to keep our guides copyright-clean, and to maintain friendly relations with Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects. --Evan 14:00, 2 March 2006 (EST)
Some problem on the French-Language Wikitravel
Hello Evan, it seems we have some problems in the Franch version since you updated Mediawiki.
- First, the link to the help pages on the left sidebar were linking to an empty page fr:Aide:Aide. I made a redirect to the proper page fr:Wikitravel:Aide.
- Then, there are problems with logging in: when we close my browser we have to log to Wikitravel back each time (if we don't we're considered as anonymous). I think that problem comes from the cookies.
I'll report you the others problem if we have some. Best regards. Julien 12:24, 5 March 2006 (EST)
- Thanks. First, the upstream value for the help page changed; I changed it to use Wikitravel:Aide instead. Second, the login problem was pernicious, but you're correct, it was a change in the name of the cookie (from "UserToken" to "Token"). I've updated the server so it should show you as logged in or not-logged-in depending on your status.
- Thanks for the bug reports, and let me know if there are any more. --Evan 13:06, 5 March 2006 (EST)
Testing new message indicator
testing new message indicator. --188.8.131.52 15:39, 5 March 2006 (EST)
I got your message! Majnoona 16:03, 5 March 2006 (EST)
Hi Evan. For a while now we've had an option to "Hide patrolled edits" in the recent changes, but as far as I can tell there is no way to mark an edit as patrolled. Is enabling that functionality something that is on your to-do list? Just curious. -- Ryan 19:00, 5 March 2006 (EST)
- Well... I dunno. It'd be a non-trivial of work, and I'd like to know why the feature isn't, as far as I know, enabled on Wikimedia sites. It sounds good, and it'd be nice to know that someone's checked over a particular edit. --Evan 20:28, 5 March 2006 (EST)
- The little throbber image next to the "my talk" link is very cool. Anyhow, I was mostly just curious about the patrolled edit thing -- it's been there for ages and it seems like it would be a good idea to allow logged-in users to mark edits as "good". I'm definitely not clamoring for it, but wouldn't complain were it to be implemented, either. -- Ryan 20:38, 5 March 2006 (EST)
So that's what the annoying blinking red ball is! Only problem is, I read my messages already, and it's still there... Jpatokal 22:04, 5 March 2006 (EST)
- Dang! It's supposed to clear when you read your own talk page. You're the first person to have a problem with it, but then again, I just enabled it for non-logged-in users. So, I've cleared it by hand for you, and I'll keep debugging on my side. --184.108.40.206 22:11, 5 March 2006 (EST)
One little thing...
Since the little person icon is to the left of the user's name, the little blinker should probably be to the left of the "my talk" link. Right now it makes it look like there's something up with your preferences. ;)
It's super cool that you got this working! Thanks for sorting through the rewrite stuff! -- Mark 04:51, 6 March 2006 (EST)
For some reason it doesn't work in Konqueror though. I don't know what it could be. Perhaps it's caching or something? -- Mark 04:55, 6 March 2006 (EST)
- What part doesn't work? Does the blinkenlight not appear, or does it not clear when you read your page? --Evan 20:19, 6 March 2006 (EST)
Sv: Wikitravel and MWI
We have some problems with the MWI function, and a suggestion for an improvement. Please check your swedish Talk page. BR Riggwelter 17:53, 6 March 2006 (EST)
Hi! I just got around to logging into Wikitravel for the first time in a couple of months and saw you signed? my user talk page with a request for something about Shediac (a great place to visit!). I would be happy to help out with a page about shediac, though I would definetly need some help with formatting and what not. Traslaen 02:17, 13 March 2006 (EST)
Whatever I do, I don't get the blinker. I tried it on both Firefox (1.5) and IE (6.0) I cannot think how my setup is different. It's a laptop, Win XP, wireless connection... --Ravikiran 06:59, 13 March 2006 (EST)
- Sounds like it is more of a system issue then with the browser. I would suggest you update the display driver for your system and see if that helps. --Tom Holland (xltel) 07:17, 13 March 2006 (EST)
- Evan, I think I've narrowed down the problem. (I should have heeded Tom's advice first.) It's because I have an underscore in my user name. It is working for my IP address, It is working for User:ravikiran2 whom I just created. It is not working for User:ravikiran_r2. The culprit is the underscore. The image is turning up on the server, but not displaying on my browser.
- I was thrown off-track by some Firefox sessionsaver weirdness which is why it took me time to narrow down the problem. --Ravikiran 16:34, 13 March 2006 (EST)
Hi evan! how are you?
My name is Leandro, from Buenos Aires, Argentina.
I've been collaborating in the Spanish wikipedia. Today
Today I discovered Wikitravel, this brother project, and the truth that has interested to me.
I would like to collaborate in the Spanish version.
I am going to translate the "Special Pages" from the English to Spanish. But, i have a question.. could you say me who are the administrators from the spanish weikitravel?
Thank you, have a nice day.
Loco085 00:44, 17 March 2006 (EST)
- You can find that information on es:Wikitravel:Especial:Listusers/sysop. Currently it's just me, although es:Usuario:Wikiluque is the go-between for the project. --Evan 08:50, 17 March 2006 (EST)
- Hi again!.. the page es:Wikitravel:Especial:Listusers/sysop does not exist, and the es:Usuario:Wikiluque has been absent for more than a month. What can i do? another sysop to talk?. Thank you ; ). Loco085 11:49, 17 March 2006 (EST)
- Sorry, that should probably be es:Especial:Listusers/sysop. What do you need? Maybe I can help. --Evan 11:54, 17 March 2006 (EST)
- Nothing in special, simply wanted to ask to the Sysop, in what Can I help?. For the moment I'm going to translate the "Special pages", like "Help" or "FAQs". Thank you, Loco085 12:11, 17 March 2006 (EST)
There's no link to Shared even from the "Upload file" page -- please fix this! Jpatokal 05:33, 17 March 2006 (EST)
The problem, that the isIn template cannot be used in cases of using non-ASCII characters, is not yet solved. I posted a reminder in several discussion sections but nobody answered. Therefore I ask you again to find a solution or a work-around. In particular, in the German wikitravel edition this concerns Austria (Österreich) and Egypt (Ägypten) with several hundreds of sub-pages - because of the umlauts. I than you for your endeavour. Unger 10:45, 19 March 2006 (EST)
- It's a high priority and I'll make a point of getting to it soon. Sorry for the delay. --Evan 18:54, 19 March 2006 (EST)
So were you in Knoxville recently? I just noticed that you added an Eat entry there. Knoxville is in my watch list, that's why I noticed... and I thought it was interesting. -- Ilkirk 14:59, 22 March 2006 (EST)
- Yes, we whipped through Chattanooga and Knoxville last week on our way from Biloxi to New York. We stayed in Gadsden, Alabama overnight, then Roanoke, Virginia the next night. Sorry we didn't call you earlier, but we changed our plans so I could come out to a MediaWiki planning meeting in Los Angeles, and I don't think either of us were sure where we were going through until that morning. It would have been nice to meet up! We'll come through again, though -- it's a nice part of the world. --Evan 09:44, 27 March 2006 (EST)
- I've actually moved to Nashville recently, so meeting up wouldn't have been quite as easy. That's pretty cool that you blasted through - too bad it wasn't a little deeper into spring. -- Ilkirk 22:04, 27 March 2006 (EST)
Found a great photo for Rail travel in North America, however, I'm unsure if WikiTravel's copyright organization will allow me to add this photo. The disclaimer on Wikipedia's site confuses me.
Will you check it out for me? Sapphire 20:46, 26 March 2006 (EST)
- It looks like it's a public domain image, so I think it should be fine. --Evan 09:46, 27 March 2006 (EST)
Sorry to use the talk page for this but: do I need to be at the airport at 10pm or no? Thanks! Majnoona 20:10, 27 March 2006 (EST)
- No! B-) --Evan 21:58, 27 March 2006 (EST)
Thank's for accepting me Traveler2006 11:07, 28 March 2006 (EST) look I did South Portland, Maine if you have heard of? Traveler2006 11:07, 28 March 2006 (EST) anyway thanks!
Are you on right now? feverwarrior is mine iam talking to Maj and tom will hopefully come on.
Certainly there is still a lot to translate in LanguahePL.php file, but one change I just spotted is important.
On the bottom of the edit pages text should say:
Proszę pamiętać o tym, że przyjmuje się, iż wszelki wkład do Wikitravel jest udostępniany na zasadach Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 1.0 (zobacz Wikitravel:Copyleft).
Jeśli nie chcesz, żeby Twój tekst był dowolnie zmieniany przez każdego i rozpowszechniany bez ograniczeń, nie umieszczaj go tutaj.
PROSZĘ NIE UŻYWAĆ BEZ POZWOLENIA MATERIAŁÓW OBJĘTYCH PRAWEM AUTORSKIM!
Niniejszym oświadczasz, że ten tekst jest Twoim dziełem lub pochodzi z materiałów dostępnych na zasadach public domain albo licencji zgodnej z Attribution-ShareAlike 1.0.
Currently it states that contnet submitted is under GNU FDL.
Also, I'm collecting more minor changes to interface file. What is the best way to incoroprate them?
Later we may decide to make even more changes, as I'm not sure if we stay with polish name of Wikitravel - Wikipodróże or stick to English name.
Thanks, --JanSlupski 12:31, 31 March 2006 (EST)
- Hi again.
- Recently my thought is to use original name of Wikitravel instead of Polish translation Wikipodróże at least for namespace naming.
- I've tried to see if I'm able to change Wikitravel_talk name: O_Wikipodróżach to O_Wikitravel. But I don't think it is something I'm able to do. One of the reasons is that currently there is inconsistence, because Wikitravel namespace is not translated to Wikipodróże at all. So probably it would be better to change this now, before there are (nearly?) no references to this namespace.
- Also, current naming scheme for talk pages is a bit different than in English, eg O Wikitravel is something like About Wikitravel. This is because Wikitravel talk would be in Polish something like Dyskusja Wikitravel which is a bit long. But the subject wasn't discussed yet, so later the majority may have different thoughts about this.
- Thanks, --JanSlupski 10:26, 2 April 2006 (EDT)
MediaWiki Extension with RFD Tags
After asking a question on the discussion page for the Main Page, I learned that the WikiTravel hierarchical directories (e.g., Asia: Middle East: Iran) that appear on the top of each destination page are the result of a MediaWiki extension that you designed which uses an RFD specification. Being new to designing a web site, never mind launching a wiki, I'm not sure where to find this extension or how to use it. Many thanks,
220.127.116.11 01:09, 27 March 2006 (EST)
- If you're not used to designing a Web site, nor launching a wiki, I don't think it's going to be useful to you. However, it's available at http://wikitravel.org/~evan/mw-rdf-0.5.tar.gz if you want to try it. --Evan 09:57, 27 March 2006 (EST)
- Thanks for your help, I have accessed the file and installed RAP. I am having a problem with installation, though: what the is the /*Config Stuff*/ to /*Config End*/ in MwRDF.php intended for? Is it necessary? I have pasted it in LocalSettings.php (not sure what is meant by "reset") and moved it around within MwRDF.php, but I still get an error message on my page when I try to run it that reads, "Notice: Use of undefined constant MwRdfCreativeCommons - assumed 'MwRdfCreativeCommons' in c:\program files\easyphp1-8\www\mediawiki-1.5.6\extensions\MwRdf.php on line 62". This message is included for all constants included in that section ('MwRdfLinksTo', 'MwRdfCategories', etc.) I get this same message with reference to LocalSettings when I place the section there. Where are these constants defined (it appears they are defined in MwRdf, but that does not explain the error msg)? When I have simply eliminated this section entirely from MwRdf.php, the site has launched as usual, but there is no indication of Rfd capabilities and Special:RFD does not exist. Can I eliminate this section entirely and go through some other procedure to have Special:RFD created? Your advice is a big help, I hope this is not too time-consuming for you. 18.104.22.168 03:31, 2 April 2006 (EDT)
- No, it's fine. Did you read the "README.RDF.txt" file? There's a section on installation. You should only have to add two lines to the config file. You should not copy all those other lines between Config Start and Config End; those are variables that can be set in your LocalSettings.php, and they are documented in the README. Please: take a close look at the README file. --Evan 11:05, 2 April 2006 (EDT)