See also User talk:Evan/Archives
See Talk:Jau National Park for discussion of Jau National Park.
Cycle touring in General
Textbot 02:03, 23 July 2006 (EDT) I am responding to yr " Cycling in Spain" stub. I have no info for Spain, but I am interested in cycle touring in general, and I wonder how to link the considerable info I DO have, into WT ; while being concious that Cycling is a *minority* interest of no use to most WT users ! As an example, I have linked my "Cycling in Indonesia" to WT's "Bali". I have also linnked to a friend's ifo for "Yunnan", and Have "Iceland" too. But I understand the philosophical idea that WT should contain the info, rather than link to it ...any help most appreciated.
DE main page?
Would you scroll down on the DE main page to the bottom? Is there a reason why a picture of cake is on the bottom? -- Andrew Haggard (Sapphire) 08:02, 2 July 2006 (EDT)
- At least in Firefox, the cake appears inside the Logbuch section. It's right next to a logbook entry that says, "7. Oktober 2005: Happy Birthday, Wikitravel! Die deutschsprachige Wikitravel-Ausgabe wird 1 Jahr alt. " I think that means something like: "Happy Birthday, Wikitravel! The de: Wikitravel version is one year old."
- I guess that the layout is messing with your IE7 again. Can you send me a screenshot? --Evan 11:42, 2 July 2006 (EDT)
- Here is a screen shot with the cake in it and another without the cake. The latter image shows the October 7th date in the log book without the clip art image. The first screen shot shows the cake, but you are unable to see any other part of the main page. Notice the scroll bar, because it indicates the main page is rather long. -- Andrew Haggard (Sapphire) 19:15, 3 July 2006 (EDT)
The problem of the +2 hours is not a user-settings-related problem, because when the user is logged in, the time is OK. The problem is when the user is not logged in. An exemple:
Now it's 11:32. When I log in, allright: 11:32. If I log out, I see 13:32. This happens, for exemple, in the "recent changes" page. Dennis 05:33, 3 July 2006 (EDT)
- It functions now, but, in the edit pages (only in those pages), i get this error (php error):
Warning: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. Please use the date.timezone setting, the TZ environment variable or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We had to select 'UTC' because your platform doesn't provide functionality for the guessing algorithm in /var/www/wikitravel/mw/includes/Parser.php on line 3411
Warning: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. Please use the date.timezone setting, the TZ environment variable or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We had to select 'UTC' because your platform doesn't provide functionality for the guessing algorithm in /var/www/wikitravel/mw/includes/Parser.php on line 3412
Dennis 11:31, 4 July 2006 (EDT)
- UPDATE: The problem was not in the "edit" pages, but in the "preview" pages, and it is still there. Dennis 14:10, 6 July 2006 (EDT)
- Really? I'm not seeing it now. Can you check again? --Evan 14:55, 6 July 2006 (EDT)
Seffen M requested that the nifty new page MediaWiki template be used on DE. I've copied and pasted the DE templates into Vorgabe:? so they'll be easy to find and then rewrote the En text so it can be used on DE. Can you add that MediaWiki template to DE? -- Andrew Haggard (Sapphire) 19:21, 3 July 2006 (EDT)
- Oops. See my Sandbox#Tinker space for the potential DE text. -- Andrew Haggard (Sapphire) 19:22, 3 July 2006 (EDT)
- I'd actually like someone to go over the text to make sure the translation is right. I couldn't find my thesaurus or DE dictionary so I used an internet translator. The links, however, are all correct. -- Andrew Haggard (Sapphire) 19:34, 3 July 2006 (EDT)
- ...almost! You had "en" instead of "de", but I corrected it. You can see the new article at de:MediaWiki:Newarticletext. Let me know if it needs corrections. Steffen can fix it too, by the way. --Evan 19:55, 3 July 2006 (EDT)
- Oops. Thanks for catching that. If there's a problem with it hopefully someone will tell you or me and we can fix the translation. -- Andrew Haggard (Sapphire) 11:34, 4 July 2006 (EDT)
Since JanSlupski hasn't been active on PL for going on three months would you have any issue with pl:Osoba:Adam Dziura being nominated by myself? It would be great to have an administrator whose fairly active and can speak Polish. Also, since he did translate a lot of the MediaWiki templates for you I think he's proven himself dedicated. Are there any issues you thought would hinder his ability to work fairly and in accordance with Wikitravel policies? See pl:Wikitravel:Administratorzy -- Andrew Haggard (Sapphire) 03:32, 5 July 2006 (EDT)
- Just a reminder in case this get lost somewhere on your calendar. pl:Osoba:Adam_Dziura's admin nomination should pass either tomorrow or on Thursday. -- Andrew Haggard (Sapphire)
- Thanks, that's a good point! --Evan 08:58, 18 July 2006 (EDT)
I'd like to know whether "Wikitravel" is registered as trademark or just an unregistered one. For what countries is it a (registered) trademark? Do you know http://www.wikitravel.it ? -- Hansm 07:12, 5 July 2006 (EDT)
- I think the trademark registration is happening right now, and it's supposed to be international. Thanks for the pointer to .it; I've forwarded it to IB's lawyers. --Evan 08:34, 5 July 2006 (EDT)
- Weirdly, the wikitravel.it site doesn't seem to be using any of our content though. They also don't much believe in the CC license: "©2006 Wikitravel. E' vietata la riproduzione anche parziale". Then again, it's kind of them to hand over the copyright to Internet Brands like that ;) Jpatokal 09:19, 5 July 2006 (EDT)
- Thanks for the info. -- Hansm 11:49, 5 July 2006 (EDT)
- Don't forget to Meatball:AssumeGoodFaith assume good faith. It appears that this domain owner is just a bit confused. I hope the lawyers are capable of being somewhat gentile with them. -- Mark 00:48, 6 July 2006 (EDT)
- I think there is nothing to do for that website. Wikitravel (this one) has not a domain for every language, sothat that must be consideret a totally different website. It's like www.wikipedia.it and many other exemples. Dennis 11:59, 6 July 2006 (EDT)
- There's a good chance that people who see www.wikitravel.it will be confused by the domain name and title and think that they're reading Wikitravel. That's not fair to readers or contributors. --Evan 12:09, 6 July 2006 (EDT)
Just an organisatorical question: If I would ask for it right now, how much time would IB need to make an up to date XLM-dump of de: available? I would need all articles from the namespaces "Main", "Talk", "Wikitravel", "Wikitravel Talk", "Image", "Image Talk", "Template" and "Template Talk" with their full history. I also would need all image files in full resolution that affect de:, i.e. all from de: and those from shared: that are used on de:. And than, of course, the corresponding "Image" and "Image Talk" dumps of shared:. --- What would be the delay between making the dumps and their availability? -- Hansm 11:19, 6 July 2006 (EDT)
- You should read Wikitravel:How to re-distribute Wikitravel content#XML data feeds, and send an email with your request to email@example.com. --Evan 11:42, 6 July 2006 (EDT)
- Thanks. There was no new information on your link. I have sent a mail with my question. -- Hansm 12:08, 6 July 2006 (EDT)
- Great. I'll try to send you an answer shortly. --Evan 12:09, 6 July 2006 (EDT)
Thank you for your acknowledgements. You know, I try as hard I can to expand the Italian Wikitravel with the purpose of defending the worldwide reputation of my small country. In fact I find more enjoyable to contribute articles in the English Wikitravel but it is still a hard task for me while translating from English is easiest.
- Let me know if you are planning a visit in Rome. In many ways Rome is an awful city but keep in mind Paola B&B for cheap & enjoyable staying.
Bye! Gobbler 10:49, 9 July 2006 (EDT)
P.S. Prodromou... Do you speak Greek? Μιλάω και γράφω Ελληνικά
- Oxi, eimai ellyno-amerikanos, den mboro na milao toso kala. O pappous mou einai ellynikos... I wish I had better Greek skills. I backpacked around Crete a while ago, and my Greek got pretty good, but not any more.
- I'm very excited about the way the Italian Wikitravel is shaping up. I think your small country's reputation is doing pretty well... not just here, but also in the World Cup! B-) I would love to visit Roma, as I've only been once in my life, and then only for a few hours (embarassing...). Unfortunately, most of my travel time these days is for Wikitravel business and conferences. I'll be at Wikisym 2006 in Odense, but I don't think we'll get a chance to get down to Rome this time. Maybe I can convince my social director to let us go to Italy soon... --Evan 11:54, 9 July 2006 (EDT)
The "nl-0" is intended to warn people that, despite my Dutch name, I'm pretty much useless with the language. I grew up surrounded by fellow third/fourth-generation Fries/Hollander immigrants with surnames like "Huizenga" and "Groendijk", so I know how to pronounce Dutch words pretty well, but aside from obvious cognates, their meaning escapes me, and I couldn't craft a coherent sentence to save my life. Sorry. - Todd VerBeek 15:56, 10 July 2006 (EDT)
- That's what I figured. Dang! B-) --Evan 17:12, 10 July 2006 (EDT)
Hello, Evan. Thanks for the warm welcome. The trip to Turkey and Europe was great, in spite of two heatwaves that caught us - I wouldn't say that visiting Naples under 34 degrees (celsius) is a very good idea, but well, we did it afterall! Now I'm catching up with my work and personal life, and I hope to be able to spend more time on Wikitravel and issues concerning the language versions soon. Cheers, Ricardo (Rmx) 13:03, 13 July 2006 (EDT)
Hi Evan, here is DaniloP. Please make User "Broc" admin for the italian Wikitravel. Not many did vote, but I think he can be the right person and he gained 2 votes. Here the votation: http://wikitravel.org/it/Wikitravel:Nominations_amministratore . 184.108.40.206 09:53, 14 July 2006 (EDT)
- Actually the 14 days for the votation will be over only the 18 july.... so maybe you want to wait until that day, even if i wrote in the it:bar that the votation was over today (mistake) (DaniloP)
- OK, I marked it in my calendar. I nominated Gobbler, too. I think he's doing a great job. --Evan 10:14, 14 July 2006 (EDT)
- OK, it's done. --Evan 08:59, 18 July 2006 (EDT)
Hello, thanks for your information
Hello Evan, thanks for your welcome and for info you provided on links. I've seen several different linking styles used here so it is good to review the official policy. I appreciate all you've done to make this site a great place.
Regarding the United States article, I think there is a lot that could be done to improve and shorten it, but I'll wait a while before making changes to see how others feel. In the meantime there are so many other worthy articles to work on here!
SONORAMA 11:28, 14 July 2006 (EDT)
- Great, good idea. You may also want to look at our Article templates, which give an idea of how we want articles laid out and what kind of information to add. --Evan 11:29, 14 July 2006 (EDT)
For whatever reason the de:MediaWiki:Newarticletext template is not automagically appearing when someone attempts to create a new article. I tried to clear the cache several times to no avail. Could you fix this? Thanks! -- Andrew Haggard (Sapphire) 18:19, 16 July 2006 (EDT)
- Actually, I was using English as my language when operating on DE. When I changed my language preference back to German the MediaWiki template was included on the page. Would it be possible to work around so a German MediaWiki template can be seen by all users regardless of which language they have selected under his/her preferences? -- Andrew Haggard (Sapphire) 18:24, 16 July 2006 (EDT)
- Eh... I'm not sure. I mean, isn't the whole point of letting you choose your own language settings that you get different messages than the people who use different language settings? I'm just not sure if what you're asking for makes sense. --Evan 19:51, 16 July 2006 (EDT)
- Oh. I was thought the only difference was the nav bar and tool box being in English. I switched back to the German version, anyway. I figured I'd still get to see MediaWiki template, but it's probably not a very important problem, anyway since I don't suspect that many English users use DE. -- Sapphire
Hi Evan - I left a comment on your talk page earlier about this issue, but given the latest example of User talk:TVerBeek#Delete vandal do you have any thoughts about getting Wikipedia's Tawkerbot running here? I don't think it would hurt in any way, and it might allow us to avoid losing contributions. My earlier comments on the issue are below:
- Hi Evan - here's a link to the Wikipedia bot we were talking about today: WikiPedia:User:Tawkerbot2. The vandalism reversions it makes seem to be remarkably accurate and include everything from the "Bob is gay" edits to page blanking (see WikiPedia:Special:Contributions/Tawkerbot2). It also leaves a note on the user page for an author whose change was reverted, and will not revert a change twice when in "calm" mode, which is the default - there is also an "angry" mode. They have a WikiPedia:User:Tawkerbot2/requests page for getting it to run on Wikis other than Wikipedia. I know Maj had some reservations, so maybe the two of you can consider it, and if you think it might be worthwhile you could then open the discussion to the wider Wikitravel audience in either the Wikitravel:Travelers' pub or Wikitravel:Feature requests.
-- Ryan 16:26, 18 July 2006 (EDT)
- Yes, I remembered and it completely fell off my radar. I think it sounds like a good idea. I think probably we should post it on Wikitravel:Script nominations and run it through the proper channels. Sound good? --Evan 16:33, 18 July 2006 (EDT)
- Sounds great - I'll put it up there now. -- Ryan 17:37, 18 July 2006 (EDT)
- Hi Evan - regarding the question posted on Wikitravel:Script_nominations#Tawkerbot2, do we have an IRC recent changes feed? I'm not aware of one, nor did I realize that was a Mediawiki feature. If we don't I can withdraw the Tawkerbot nomination, I just figured if it was easy to implement then it would be nice to have running here. -- Ryan 15:42, 21 July 2006 (EDT)
- I can set up an RC feed if we need one. --Evan 15:55, 21 July 2006 (EDT)
10k and Wikimania
Did you guys nail down a location for the party? That will be held on the 4th, right? -- Andrew Haggard (Sapphire) 22:52, 25 July 2006 (EDT)
- It's on the 4th, I'm trying to nail down a location. --Evan 22:56, 25 July 2006 (EDT)
- I'll be getting into Boston on August 3rd around 5PM. Should I give you a call on one the 3rd or 4th? Also, when will you be speaking? -- Andrew Haggard (Sapphire) 07:13, 1 August 2006 (EDT)
I want to export close to 50 pages (if not more) and then import them into DE is there an easier way to do this other than copying and pasting? I've tested the export feature, but what type of file am I supposed to save the pages under before importing pages? -- Andrew Haggard (Sapphire) 21:44, 26 July 2006 (EDT)
- I think the exports are XML. I'll be honest -- I've never exported-and-imported an article for Wikitravel. I'd be really careful if I were you, though... exporting takes the entire history of the article, too. If it's just 50 articles, do you want to just make a list of them on a user sub-page, and I can help you copy them over by hand? --Evan 21:46, 26 July 2006 (EDT)
- Sure, that works. If you want to help I'm going to take from User:Cjensen/project/hotelmaker and move it to the respective sub-pages listed onde:Benutzer:Sapphire/project/hotelmaker. I'm hoping to make it easier for DE contributors to find sleep listings when working on American destinations. -- Andrew Haggard (Sapphire) 21:58, 26 July 2006 (EDT)
- Errr, sorry to jump in on this-- but isn't that kinda the goal of the auto translation project? I've had a hard time selling it to the other languages, so I've been focusing on bring content into the English version as a start, but having easy acess to listing information is just the kinda thing I think it would be great for... Maybe we can talk about how to work together on this? Maj 10:45, 27 July 2006 (EDT)
Log in & tool bar
I had in the last days some trouble because wikitravel kicked me out as soon as I was loged in. This is today much better but now the toolbar in the top (my talk...) are right in the wikitravel logo. It's not my computer and clearing the cache doesn't help. Are you working in the infrastructure? Jan 11:11, 27 July 2006 (EDT)
- There was a problem on Monday with starting PHP sessions that got fixed; see Wikitravel:Bug reports for that.
- I did a minor upgrade from MediaWiki 1.6.6 to MediaWiki 1.6.8 last night, see Wikitravel:27 July 2006 for details. It doesn't seem to require changes to the stylesheet or skin, though, so I'm surprised to hear about your problem. Which browser is it? IE7? Also, have you done a force-reload (Ctrl+Reload or Shift+Reload)? --Evan 11:22, 27 July 2006 (EDT)
- The problem with the toolbar is still on today. I refreshed my side, cleaned cache etc. But already when i login the toolbar starts now on theleft side in the wikitravel logo and the log out button is just above the history button. I used IE6 or Mozilla. Jan 05:06, 28 July 2006
- I had the same problem with IE 6, but once I got IE 7 it went away, but I have horrible problems with review:Main Page. -- Andrew Haggard (Sapphire) 05:13, 28 July 2006 (EDT)
Any way you could set up the spam filter on Shared and get the spam black/white lists up? -- Andrew Haggard (Sapphire) 01:38, 29 July 2006 (EDT)
...works now. Jpatokal 23:57, 29 July 2006 (EDT)
- Excellent. --Evan 00:09, 30 July 2006 (EDT)