FREE World Atlas
You guys do not use e-mails at all? Coldn't find any emails on your site. So
have to edit the page.
FREE WORLD ATLAS IS AVAILABLE HERE:
Yep! That's what we have these pages for.
I'll check it out -- looks really interesting. --Evan 22:19, 19 Jan 2004 (EST)
Link to Wikipedia
I note that you deleted the wikipedia link from the Wellington article. Why? Tiles 18:55, 31 Dec 2003 (PST)
I didn't delete it -- I just changed it to be like other links to Wikipedia. --Evan 14:45, 1 Jan 2004 (PST)
- Mea culpa. I was looking in the wrong place. Sorry. Tiles 23:59, 1 Jan 2004 (PST)
- No sweat. I realize that it's a weird way to do links, but I think it works better. --Evan 12:52, 2 Jan 2004 (EST)
on my way home, prolly walkingMajnoona
- See you when you get here. --Evan 19:28, 7 Jan 2004 (EST)
- I emailed a copy of the new cmf article draft to your wikitravel and yahoo accounts, lemme know if you want me to do more with it. on my way outMajnoona
Look at this...
Evan, maybe it's been there some time but I discovered it just now. Look at this (3rd place) and this (1st place). No doubt there are others... DhDh 16:52, 9 Jan 2004 (EST)
- That's so cool! I know we get spidered by Google pretty frequently. There should probably be a way to check our page rank on Google automatically for any page. I know they have some kind of API... --Evan 17:09, 9 Jan 2004 (EST)
- (Responding to myself here.) I took a look at the Google APIs. Seems like we could search for article titles on Google, and if they come back in the top 10 results, we'd save that. We could have like a Wikitravel:Top ten Google hits and have it updated by bot. That reminds me -- we need to get that Wikitravel:Bot policy going. --Evan 17:30, 9 Jan 2004 (EST)
I've been wondering, do you or your forerunners know enough Greek to add to the Greek phrasebook? -phma 22:48, 9 Jan 2004 (EST)
- ha ha forerunners. I actually have some Greek, and I'll try to poke at it a bit. I'm pretty weak, though. I do have a dictionary around here somewhere. --Evan 14:14, 10 Jan 2004 (EST)
Looks like my nomination has lapsed. Oh well. -phma 01:08, 18 Jan 2004 (EST)
- Yes. I'm sorry about that. --Evan 11:29, 18 Jan 2004 (EST)
- Is there a waiting period, or some number of new admins, to elapse before trying again? -phma 09:16, 19 Jan 2004 (EST)
- Nope. I'll renominate you right now. --Evan 11:30, 19 Jan 2004 (EST)
I've found a website that contains a wealth of maps of Brazil, but I'm not sure if they are copyrighted or not. Do you have any idea if we could use these on Wikitravel? DhDh 11:38, 22 Jan 2004 (EST)
- I have no idea. We can incorporate public domain information into Wikitravel (as well as by-sa stuff, of course), and in the USA works created by federal government employees for their jobs are in the public domain. I don't know if that's the case in Brazil, though. You should contact the Webmaster for that site, but make sure you make it clear that the works would be re-licensed under the by-sa. It's not OK if they say, "sure, you can put them on your site." They need to understand our copyleft and what it will mean. --Evan 11:41, 22 Jan 2004 (EST)
Hi Evan, I noticed your comment on Lessig's blog and here I am, probably in the best place to answer to you. Well, most of our articles were written before November 2003, so they were copyrighted by World66. This means we don't have to ask anybody the permission to change the licence. There may be problems with those who edited some of our articles under the GFDL in November and December and now see their articles licenced under a CC licence... but, sincerely, the two licences are almost the same (with the exception of all those boring sections/invariant sections etc...) so I don't think that anyone will complain about that. - Giorgio Baresi
I really like the Visual Language wiki
Thank you for the kind comments.
I hope the Visual Language wiki inspires more people to make interesting maps, and I hope some of those maps can be used at Wikitravel.
Wikitravel looks very successful to me. Congratulations. Thank you for starting and maintaining Wikitravel.
Should 220.127.116.11 be blocked? He's been doing nothing but writing an ad for phone service, and has edited it many more than three times. BTW, is there a page for discussing blocking someone? -phma 19:48, 29 Jan 2004 (EST)
- I believe there's a broken link on my TODO page to something that should be a discussion. It seems to be under control right now, and I'm not sure that a ban is the best response. After all, we've been on the air for 6 months, and we haven't had to do a user ban yet (as can be noted from the fact that the user ban policy is still a broken link).
- Let's give it a while -- one guy, working on one page, is pretty much a sitting duck for SoftSecurity. (That said, it's probly a good idea to get started on the ban policy -- it'll be good to have it in place if we need it.) --Evan 22:55, 29 Jan 2004 (EST)
Re: The Copyright on my photo I'm actually a bit confused about what you meant. I understand that everything must be by-sa, and that's fine with me. I thought you wanted me to include information on what the original copyright was, which is why I labelled it by-nc (it is my photo, and that's how I've licenced it on my personal photos website). So, what should I put for copyright info? BTW, you can delete the first photo I uploaded, I don't need it anymore. --Dawnview 01:02, 31 Jan 2004 (PST)
- Thanks for the reply Evan, and the clarification. You'd have to do a lot more than talk about CC licences to scare me away. :) Wikitravel is a brilliant idea. It's a perfect example of how to use the Internet and CC licensing. I look forward to contributing. --Dawnview 17:25, 31 Jan 2004 (EST)
Romanian Wikitravel redirection problem
Evan, I saw that you changed the redirection on the main page to go to www.wikitravel.org/ro/article/Portal instead of www.wikitravel.org/ro/articol/Pagina_principală. That's great, but now it doesn't work because the /article/ should be /articol/. So, when the users go to http://www.wikitravel.org/ro, it should redirect to www.wikitravel.org/ro/articol/Portal. Could you change this if you have time, Ronline 04:28, 31 Jan 2004 (EST)
- Done. Sorry about that! --Evan 12:43, 31 Jan 2004 (EST)
- Thanks a lot! Ronline 17:45, 31 Jan 2004 (EST)
- It was a dumb mistake. I was originally doing the redirect using an HTML page because I was too lazy to look up the .htaccess directive. Once I had the .htaccess thing set up for en, I just copied it for ro. Gotta remember to check those things next time... --Evan 17:59, 31 Jan 2004 (EST)
Thank you for your welcome :-) --RedBit 16:18, 31 Jan 2004 (EST)