To help get you started contributing, we've created a tips for new contributors page, full of helpful links about policies and guidelines and style, as well as some important information on copyleft and basic stuff like how to edit a page. If you need help, check out Wikitravel:Help, or post a message in the travellers' pub.
I'm the one removing your listings, I've tried to contact you through your IP's talk page. I guess by now you may have noticed that you have been blacklisted for edit warring and spamming. Below is an except of our policy on tour listings;
- Tour listings are welcome on Wikitravel as long as they constitute a value-added activity, rather than a booking service or general travel planning. In general, if a traveler could fulfill the substance of the tour on their own, the tour should not be listed on Wikitravel. Here are a few guidelines to determine whether a tour should be listed in our guides:
- 1. The operator must have a "real world" office with a phone number and address.
- 2. Do not list tour operators that act as a booking agent or travel-planner for the traveler—tour agencies should offer something as a supplement, rather than a replacement for Wikitravel guides. Listed tours should count as an activity available at a destination (e.g., a helicopter tour of a city, or a camel expedition into the Sahara).
- 3. Do not list resellers of tours, only list the actual tour operators.
- 4. Always list tour agencies if they are requisite to visit a certain area. Examples include tours required by law (e.g., Panmunjeom) and tours required due to exceptional danger (e.g., war zones and extreme environments such as the Amazon, Antarctica, Space, etc).
Your agency does not seem to fulfil the requirements, hence the removal. We are particularly hard on policy in our Rome guide, since it's the guide on the whole of wikitravel, that is subjected to most spamming. To be fair I've suggested we remove the entire section of tour operators here: Talk:Rome#Tours - feel free to give your input. Your blacklisting is at the button of this page. Wikitravel_talk:Local_spam_blacklist. Kind regards, --Stefan (sertmann) Talk 10:19, 7 July 2009 (EDT)
- I've now also blacklisted your email address—this all is going to hurt your search engine rankings. Perhaps in the future you will conduct yourself like an adult. --Peter Talk 13:07, 7 July 2009 (EDT)
Ok, what is going on here??!! Firstly, we are a legitimate company which I wished you would have looked up before any of this started. I am the wife of one of the four guides that make up our company (which i cant now mention). When i found this site a few days ago there were four tour companies. One who wrote a lot about themselves and the others that just left their contact info. I felt simpler was better. As my info kept getting deleated the other companies were getting deleated and someone who is NOT internet savy and trying to type WHILE looking after a walking 1 year old didnt realize people could contact eachother on other parts of this site and people were trying to contact me. Look at it from my side. I keep adding info that is the same as other things I see and I'm geting removed. If you look on the net you'll see we Never write about ourselves on travel forums or do any other thing considered spam. We have been running a legitamite business since 2000. This site has a section devoted to individual tour operators. We are one, I dont understand this at all. I never removed anyone elses content and wrote the message about removing others content on the page as I didnt think there was anywhere else to write it. Let me state again I AM NOT INTERNET OR COMPUTER SAVY IN ANY WAY AND AM DOING THIS WHILE LOOKING AFTER A TODDLER. Please look to our site and the paypal connection to see that we are in fact a legitimate business, offer the same tours as Context, pay taxes and I think most importantly people really like us. I ask you to look at our reviews on tripadvisor and contact each and every reviewer as to their authenticity. I am asking you to devote some time to this as in my efforts to help i do not want to have hurt our company. If you do not consider us legitimate then I ask you to remove the block or whatever you put on us remove the whole section and I WILL NOT post again..
- You seem to missing the point here, no one has ever doubted you are a legitimate business and for we all we know you might offer splendid tours that everyone is happy about. The point is if we let business owners have their way around here, we would have lost all the credibility we have, since it would basically be one big yellow pages with adverts for hotels, tours, etc. with very little use for travellers. Admitted we are particularly hard on Rome, since this is by far and wide, the guide that get the most spam, so your treatment probably hadn't been so harsh anywhere else. But you might want to try to compare this version from last year, to the current version of the page, to see what happens when we don't moderate.
- I would have accepted your plea, if it wasn't that you continued to be destructive, even after communication had been established and you had an explanation given to you. --Stefan (sertmann) Talk 16:13, 7 July 2009 (EDT)
How it that we provide the same service as Context rome but we were immediately removed and they were not? With regrads to the page on tours we fit all of the criteria. As to before I see why you wouldn't want one big list of ads which is why 1.my first placement was short and didn't have any unessessary info. 2.I did not create the tours section.! Am i crazy to think the tours section which on the prior version had 3 companies should have listed tour companies. Also, i reposted as i was positive if you looked at our company, really looked you would see it was the same as the other one listed and remove whatever problem you had with it. As for my plea, yes it is a plea as i dont want to have caused any lasting damage to our company as we are a small company that has relied for years solely on personal reccomendations and is now trying to have our name and reputation known, I dont even know what you did but it sounds important and scary. Please realize affecting peoples livlihoods affects peoples lives. so I ask again please remove whatever it is that you have done. One thing that stuck out in my mind is when i was reading the section about competition removing your posts (as is what I origionally thought) It said 'be fair to one another' I honestly thought our posts were being removed by someone else, we fall under ALL of the criteria for this section, I did not create the section I just included our info. Under the tours section at the moment there are now options, only one. Does that help people trying to find out info (including info on tours in rome)? The only thing I did wrong was keep reposting as all i saw was it de\iesappearing and then preemptively assuming you would understand that I did not have knowledge of this system and how it worked. And peter I am not throwing another temper tantrum, I feel all of my points are valid and if they are expressed in what you feel to be an extreme way i apologize as i am a very emotional person to begin with not to mention being pregnant. I really think you should add a few tour companies at least if you are going to have the section or remove it entierely