I saw you created a page Cooperating with Wikioverland. Please let me know what is the purpose of this page to be on WT? Thank you! IBAlex 20:08, 5 November 2012 (EST)
- Hi IBAlex,
- (I hope you see this message here on my user page...)
- WikiOverland has been on the Wikitravel:List of related projects for quite some time, and the Cooperation section of Wikitravel:Fellow traveller Expedition says "If there's interest in cooperating with a project, we can make a cooperation page in the Wikitravel: namespace to :talk about what we can offer and what we can use from the project. ".
- I feel that WikiTravel can gain a lot of useful information about traveling with a vehicle by cooperating with WikiOverland, and I wanted to spur a discussion around that. WikiOverland also has a custom MediaWiki extension for currency conversion that I also think would be extremely useful on WikiTravel
- I'd love to hear any and all input.
- Thanks Dangrec 20:19, 5 November 2012 (EST)
- I think it is fine to have Wikioverland listed in the List of Related Projects; but since we have a policy against linking to secondary sources (i.e. other travel guides), and all our content pages are also supposed to be destination pages, I again don't see what place Cooperating with Wikioverland has on WT. Can you make a case that fits within our policy?--IBobi talk email 20:32, 5 November 2012 (EST)
- I think it fits within the policy because it's extremely useful travel information, that is outside the scope of what WT is aiming to provide. The very fact that the "By Car" sections exist in WT shows this information is wanted by the community, but it's clear that information is severely lacking. WikiOverland is so extremely detailed it would not be possible to roll the content into WT in any meaningful way. I understand WT aims to be "the all encompassing" travel guide, but I think in this case that doesn't make sense. In the past, WT users like User:Ryan have suggested inter wiki links could be one option (here: Wikitravel_talk:List_of_related_projects) and I think it's good to have a cooperation page to further that discussion.
- I think it's also worth discussing the currency conversion component, as I know that's been discussed many times here at WT but developer time is very limited for these kinds of "nice to haves". Dangrec 20:42, 5 November 2012 (EST)
- The best place to have discussions about things like interwiki links would be on Wikioverland section of List of Related Projects. There's no reason to have its own page, and it doesn't fit with WT policy. No other sites have their own pages here.--IBobi talk email 20:53, 5 November 2012 (EST)
- Wikitravel:Fellow traveller Expedition specifically says to create a "cooperating with" page to further any discussion about how WT can benefit, so I think by very definition it's within WT policy. There are five other projects that have a "cooperating with" page on Wikitravel:List of related projects. Dangrec 20:57, 5 November 2012 (EST)
- Ah yes I see the "Cooperating With" pages -- I stand corrected. I wonder what should happen next with any of those? None of them seem to have gotten much traction or feedback...--IBobi talk email 21:07, 5 November 2012 (EST)
- I was wondering about the next steps too. I know both WT and Wikipedia work on a consensus approach for decision making, although I find that usually results in no decision being made.
- I hope that creating the cooperating with page will spur some discussion and maybe some decisions can be made about if this is worth pursuing or not. I wonder if I should move move this whole discussion between you and I over to the Wikitravel:Cooperating with Wikioverland page so everyone else can see what's been discussed thus far? Thanks again. Dangrec 21:34, 5 November 2012 (EST).