Hi Arcane! Thanks for your edits on Aswan, they are much appreciated!
I thought I'd just drop by and welcome you to Wikitravel. If you want to specialize your experience you may want to consider editing your preferences.
Please take a second to look at our copyleft and policies and guidelines, but feel free to plunge forward and edit some pages. Scanning the manual of style, especially the article templates, can give you a good idea of how we like articles formatted. If you're new to the whole wiki software look at the wiki markup to get an idea of how to use the wiki markup.
If you need help, check out Wikitravel:Help, and if you need some info not on there, post a message in the travellers' pub or on my talk page . -- Tim 00:33, 18 August 2006 (EDT)
Hi. In future could you please upload images to Wikitravel Shared (our shared image repository)? That way people from different language versions can use them, and we can use theirs. It's dead easy to do, just click on the link on the right hand side to take you to Wikitravel Shared, and then just sign in (you might have to create an account on there as well as your one on here.) Uploading is the same process as here - just follow the onscreen instructions. It would be great if you could re upload Image:Philae.jpg onto there, because it's a very good picture! Aswan is looking good!Tim 01:16, 18 August 2006 (EDT)
Thanks Tim, will do, still learning the ropes :)
- No probs. Just had a look and there's a few more images from Aswan up there - if you want to add them, just use the same process as you would for a file on the local Wikitravel version. If there are two files with the same name (ie one in shared, one in english) the one in english gets priority. Tim 01:29, 18 August 2006 (EDT)
Well they aren't mine, but I don't mind uploading them if I get a chance, I will be putting some more of mine in anyway.
- It doesn't matter who put the photos up on wikitravel, if they have been uploaded they are for using in articles, so don't feel like you can only put yours in. Some people upload pictures but just don't put them into the articles. However, if you don't feel like they would add anything to the article then dont put them in. Little tip: if you want to sign at the end of your posts in future, just type ~~~~ and it puts the whole name and time thing up. Makes it a heck of a lot easier! Tim 01:39, 18 August 2006 (EDT)
- I'll assume you accidentally uploaded that image to wikitravel english! Image:AswanNile.jpg should have been uploaded to wikitravel shared. In future, please upload photos just to wikitravel shared - they still work fine on here. Tim 01:42, 18 August 2006 (EDT)
Woops, thought I had to do both, thats a hell of a lot easier! Arcane 01:43, 18 August 2006 (EDT)
We normally don't do articles for attractions like a temple, or monastery, however, we have made exceptions in the past, but to figure out what we should to with Philae I have a couple of questions.
Is the temple located on Agilkia Island? Two, is Agilkia Island a populated place and does the island have any other towns. What size is Agilkia Island? Thanks. -- Andrew Haggard (Sapphire) 02:20, 18 August 2006 (EDT)
- Ahh that would explain why there isn't any really appropriate template. Have you thought about expanding to include attractions? I would think that potential travellers would love to be able to get more info without looking elsewhere, but perhaps you have good reason to not include them.
- The temple is on Agilkia, however it is not populated, I would think the island is about 500mx500m - not particularly large.Arcane 02:24, 18 August 2006 (EDT)
- We've done it very few times only when the attraction is the so large or important that it wouldn't properly fit into the closest destination guide. I created a Agilkia Island article and I'd appreciate if you could help move the information there, because it seems like that's the most appropriate place that the information regarding the template should be placed. Thanks. -- Andrew Haggard (Sapphire) 02:29, 18 August 2006 (EDT)
- Ok, I have seen what you have done, makes sense in the context of how you categorise things here. I'll try and work within the boundaries a little more effectively!Arcane 02:33, 18 August 2006 (EDT)