About Me
I'm an American fortunate to have an international career that has allowed frequent travel and residence abroad. I love to travel, especially longer trips where I can "settle in" to a place and enjoy it like a local. I've been to a lot of countries, starting with Ecuador as a high school exchange student. That country perhaps inspired a love of mountains. Here's a list of the countries I've been to, or major regions within countries:
- Ecuador You can't beat the snow capped peaks and high mountains of the Andes. A wonderful, complicated country to live in or travel to.
- Colombia My travels here are quite limited -- only to Las Lajas, right across the border from Ecuador
- Bolivia Once I read that one can go skiing here, I had to go]]
- [[Costa Ric]a Nice place. I spent a summer here while in college
- The Netherlands I'd like to go back here, was only in Amsterdam for a few days
- France Only went to Paris for a few days
- Spain My travels in Europe are indeed rather limited - it was about a week spread over Holland, France and Spain
- Canada Just a few quick trips. I've never been up north.
- The Philippines This country is such a unique mix of Asia and Latin America and the USA. Very friendly people. Great memories.
- China Big, vast country with a very difficult language
- Tibet The high peaks, haunting vistas, and colorful temples reminded me of Ecuador
- Taiwan This is without a doubt the best of China. So easy to travel around, people are friendly and straightforward.
- Vietnam Spent a week in HCMC. Friendly place, still very much a developing country.
- Singapore Nice. "
- Hong Kong Reminds me of New York only bigger -- virtually everything is a skyscraper. Very easy to travel around, bigger in terms of land area than you expect, and inexpensive if you like Cantonese food.
- Japan Just two trips here, around Tokyo
- New Zealand My favorite. Very friendly people and traveler-friendly in general
- Australia Again, two trips here, mostly around Sydney. Liked what a saw. Will be back.
- United States My homeland. The most unique states which I have visited, without a doubt, are Hawaii and Utah. No mistaking it when you are in those states. I'm from the Northeast, and once took a bus trip across the country. I'm also very familiar with Tiffin Ohio.
I love reading and editing Wikitravel and it usually is the first source I turn to when considering travel to a new place. I think it's especially useful for off-the-beaten-path locations and modes of travel.
Future Trips Here's places I'm planning to go to, or would like to go to:
- Fuzhou, China
- Japan (again)
- New Zealand
- Isle of Man
- Falkland Islands
- Pitcairn Islands
 Your Comments
Please feel free to add your comments, positive or negative, to my talk page. Don't expect me to engage in arguments with you - I will not.