Tsitsikamma forms the eastern part of the Garden Route in South Africa. Also is the
- Tsitsikamma National Park: encloses one of the most beautiful coasts in South Africa between Eersterivier and Nature's Valley.
South African Airways has regular flights to George. The nearest international airport is in Cape Town
The Garden Route is easily reached from
Cape Town : east on the N2 highway
Durban, Port Elizabeth : west on the N2 highway
Pretoria, Johannesburg, Bloemfontein : south on the the N1 then the N9
Kimberley : south on the N12
The N2 is the main highway that passes through the Garden Route, connecting Cape Town with Port Elizabeth.
The main companies offer regular services along the Garden Route from Cape Town and Port Elizabeth. The region is also on the Baz Bus route.
As local public transport between the towns is rare (except minibus services), the best way to tour the Route is by car. You can hire a car all along the Garden Route, be aware though that there is a fee if you drop the car off somewhere else from where you have picked it up.
- New Fusion, ☎ +27 (0)21 555-1600, . Garden Route travel services including a range of itineraries; Safaris;accommodation venues; car rental and private guiding services. edit
Substantial roadworks are in progress on the N2 with the current single lane sections being upgraded to double lanes in both ways. Imagine the intro photo on this article with two extra lanes being constructed on the left of the current road. Some sections are restricted to single direction traffic flow with manned stop/go control points. Typical delay at these points are 20 minutes each. Expect delays and plan your travel accordingly.
Tsitsikamma Forest walkway at the Big Tree
- The Big Tree, (In the Tsitsikamma forest, just off the N2 between the Storms River Bridge and the Storms River Village turn-off. You will see the signboards). One truly massive old yellowwood tree. Note: due to the roadworks is the Big Tree closed until December 2009. The nearest Big Tree is situated near the Khoi San Village at the Bloukrans Bungy site. edit
- Visit Tsitsikamma National Park and hike the Otter trail
- Surf in Plettenberg Bay or Vic Bay
- Bloukrans Bungee, ☎ +27 (0)42 281-1458, . Do the world's highest commercial bungee jump Bloukrans Bridge edit
- Bridge Walking Tour, ☎ +27 (0)42 281-1458, . Take a walk on the catwalk under the deck of the Bloukrans Bridge, 216m above ground and see how it is build. edit
- Wolf sanctuary, ☎ +27 (0)82 33-9799, . edit
- Tsalanang Township Walk, Stormsriver, ☎ +27 (0)84 801-6274, . Get acquainted with the locals of the Tsitsikamma and share their lives with your personalized guide, Geraldine Damons. R75. edit
As a main tourist destination there are many restaurants for every taste. Enjoy superb fish from the ocean ; Knysna is the place to taste some oysters.
The Tsitsikamma sites at Storms's River mouth and Nature's Valley are also places of scenic beauty, and out of season can be havens of peace where otters appear on the beach .
Compared with the larger cities the towns along the Garden Route are quite safe. As always use your common sense. Driving at night is fine.