Take the N7 from Cape Town and join the N14 at Springbok to go to Upington. When coming from the Eastern Cape, take the N10 starting near Port Elizabeth. Travellers from the East of South Africa can go via the N14 from Johannesburg and the Gauteng province. When coming from Bloemfontein or Kimberley use the N12 and N1 westwards, until it crosses the N10.
There are no longer any scheduled passenger trains to or from Upington. Until recently there was a regular overnight train from Windhoek and Keetmanshoop in Namibia to Upington (operated by TransNamib, the national railway company of Namibia), but this service has been cancelled.
The train station is at the end of Morant Street, north of the cemetery.
As with most of South Africa it is best get about by hired car.
The city itself is not very spectacular, but a typical medium sized country town.
- Camel and Rider statue, Schreuder Street, in front of the police station. A statue in recognition of the way law enforcement in this vast dry area was done in the past; by camel mounted police. edit
- Donkey statue, Schreuder Street. Donkeys were often employed to pump water in this dry place. Donkeys were so important in this area that they were awarded a statue in recognition for all the work they did. Even today you will see many people still using donkey carts as their primary transportation. edit
- Kalahari Orange Museum, ☎ +27 (0)54 332-6064. Open 9AM to 12:30PM and 2PM to 5PM, Monday to Friday. 9AM to 12PM on Saturdays. Information and exhibitions detailing the history of the area. edit
- Date palm avenue -- At the entrance to Die Eiland has more than 200 palm trees lining it's 1km length
- The Hortentia Windmill
- Dutch reformed church
- Grave of Scotty Smith
- Oranje River Wine Cellars Co-Operation, ☎ +27 (0)54 337-8800 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . The biggest cooperative in South Africa and the second biggest in the world. Wine tasting can be arranged for you, however most of the grapes are not used for wine production, but exported to Europe to be used as grapes and raisins edit
- Spitskop nature reserve, (J13km north of the town on the R360), ☎ +27 (0)54 332-1336. Around 40km of drivable gravel roads, 3 hiking trails a telescope on a hill for distant game viewing. Many mammals, no carnivores. edit
- Kalahari kuierfees
- Upington Directory, 81 Wildebeest, . Find any Business in Upington edit
It offers a number of shopping centres and stores. The new Kalahari Mall will be opening soon. Will by Upington's first Mall!
- Sakkie se Arkie. The name literally translates to Sakkie's little ark (as in Noahs' Ark). A floating bar on the Orange River. edit
- La Bohème, ☎ +27 (0)54 338-0660 (email@example.com), . A five star guesthouse a few minutes outside town. It is a good place to relax and let yourself get treated. Bains House (firstname.lastname@example.org) is a four star guesthouse situated within Upington. Beautiful accommodation with historic significance. The house belonged to the quantity surveyor, AG Bain (or Major Bain). He is responsible for all the surveying that took place in this region and surveyed Upington, Keimoes and the whole of Kakamas. The house exhibits relics such as a Gunter's chain and ancient surveying tools. As one of the first houses in Upington, the old Victorian style home is situated close to the Oranje river with views over the river. More historical information can be aquired at the guesthouse or at the Museum in Upington, which used to be a missionary. The statue erected in honour of the donkeys are placed close by. edit
- Aardwolf Backpackers, 22 Malherbe Street, 8800 Upington, ☎ +27 83 291 4817, . As a renovated domestic house, Aardwolf Backpackers is centrally located and offers a comfortable and quiet place to spend the night. It offers twin, double and dorm rooms, has a braai area, a cozy garden and very friendly owners. Dorm R125p. (- 28°26' 50.37,22°15' 12.87) edit
- Visit the Augrabies Falls, around 125km to the west
- 240km to the north is the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park (former Kalahari Gemsbok National Park)
|This article is an outline and needs more content. It has a template, but there is not enough information present. Please plunge forward and help it grow!|