Tunja is a city in northeast Colombia and the capital of the Boyacá department.
The bus terminal is located at the bottom of the hill where the main plaza is. Collectivos to the surrounding cities leave from upstairs.
- From Bogotá : 18,000 COP / 2h30. Buses leave from the terminal, but it may be faster and more convenient to catch one at Portal del Norte.
- From Cocuy National Park : 25,000 COP / 9h
- From San Gil : 20,000 COP / 4 h
- From Sogamoso : 7,000 COP / 1h30
- From Villa de Leyva : 6,000 COP / 1 h / 39 km
Taxis are plentiful, with a minimum fare of $3.000. Most trips within the city won't cost more than $4.000. tel: 3102183305
Minibuses are usually $1.200, and go pretty much everywhere.
- Unicentro, Av Universitaria #39-77. The largest mall in Tunja. edit
- La Buona Vita, Carrera 9 #23-45, ☎ 7422198. Mon-Sat 12:00-21:30, Sun 12:00-16:00. Italian restaurant with great handmade pastas. $20.000 per plate. edit
- Piqueteadeoro La Novena, Carrera 9 - Calle 22. Cheap traditional Colombian food and fruit salad. edit
- El Maizal, Carrera 9 #20-30 (Just off the plaza's NE corner). Possibly the cheapest breakfast in town: Hot chocolate and roll with cheese, 1500 COP. Also set lunch and dinner. edit
- Restaurante El Gran Pollo Frito, Calle 19 8 88;, ☎ 7401064. 10 am a 10 pm. ;5000 a 20000 COP. edit
All nightlife closes at 1:30 AM, Sundays being rather dead.
- Bruder Pub, Kra 9 #21-89, ☎ 7443444, . Microbrewery and pub, good beer and good food at very affordable prices. $8.000 per Liter. edit
- Berlin, Carrera 10 - Calle 21A; 5th floor. Cocktail bar with roof-top terrace. Nice view over the city. edit
- Pussini, Plaza de Bolivar. Cosy cafe. edit
Dozens of options between the bus terminal and Plaza Bolivar, and somewhat beyond.
- Hosteria San Carlos, Carrera 11 #20-12 (One block NW of Plaza de Bolivar), ☎ 0387423716. Old colonial house, a bit run down. No breakfast. Single 35000. edit
Bogotá is 2 to 3 hours away, $17.000.
Villa de Leyva, one of the nicest colonial towns in Colombia, is 45 minutes to an hour away, take a minibus from the terminal, $6.000.
Paipa has a natural hot springs, with waterpark and spa. 45 minutes by bus, $4.000.
San Gil is the capital of extreme sports in Colombia, and is 4 hours away.