Truckee is a pleasant town in the Lake Tahoe region of California.
Just east of the Donner Pass on Interstate 80, Truckee is an easy entry point for travelers from the Bay Area to the region.
I-80 bisects Truckee allowing access from Sacramento and the Bay Area from the west, and Reno to the east.
From Lake Tahoe, SR 267 heads north into Truckee.
While easy to approach under clear conditions, travelers should pay close attention to inclement weather during the winter. Roads in and out of Truckee can rapidly become treacherous during heavy winter storms. Donner Pass (over 7,000 ft/2,100 m elevation) in particular should not be attempted during heavy storms without strong winter driving skills and chains or 4-wheel drive. While well-maintained and regularly plowed, the pass can live up to its infamous name under the worst conditions.
Truckee has an airport, however it does not offer commercial flights in or out. The closest large airport is located approximately 36 mi (58 km) away in Reno, Nevada. The Sacramento International Airport is also an option, and is about 120 mi (193 km) away, on the north side of Sacramento, California.
Greyhound Lines offers two runs a day through Truckee on the Reno-San Francisco route via Sacramento and Oakland, with connections throughout the nation. Greyhound no longer overbooks on this route.
- Amtrak (California Zephyr), 10065 Donner Pass Road, . Amtrak's California Zephyr has daily service to Truckee in each direction on its route from San Francisco (Emeryville) to Chicago. A number of buses connect Truckee to Amtrak's Capitol Corridor trains in Sacramento. edit
John Dewald's House on St. Croix street
- Coyote Moon Golf Course, 10685 Northwoods Blvd., ☎ +1 530 587-0886, . May-October (weather permitting). Tee times: 5AM-6PM. Regular rate: $160. Twilight Rate: $100. edit
- Northstar-at-Tahoe, (100 Northstar Drive), ☎ +1 800 466-6784, . Downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, geocaching, ice skating, and wine tasting. edit
- Soar Truckee, Martis Creek Dam Road (Truckee Tahoe Airport), ☎ +1 530 587-6702 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . May-October (weather permitting). $109-$255. edit
- The Niche Boutique  10164 Donner Pass Rd Truckee, CA 96161 (530) 587-3100 Fun women's clothing and home furnishings.
- Tahoe Dave's  10200 Donner Pass Rd Truckee, CA 96161 (530)582-0900 Ski, snowboard, snow shoes, x- country ski and snow clothing rentals.
- Grant Kaye Photography (Grant Kaye Photography), 10098 Donner Pass Road (upstairs) (Above Pianeta Resturant downtown), ☎ 5303866492, . by appointment. Truckee's only full-service photography studio and gallery. Featuring fine art prints of local areas as well as notable international destinations such as Hawai`i, Iceland and Alaska. Also offering classes and workshops in landscape photography, night photography, Lightroom, and timelapse. edit
- Dragonfly. Tasty Asian fusion food (530) 587-0557  eclectic blend of Thai, Japanese, Indian and Malaysian influences, all of which combine to create a delicious dining adventure.
- 50/50 Brewing Company, . Outstanding local Microbrew with a large menu and live entertainment.
- Full Belly Deli, 10825 Pioneer Trail Road, Suite 103 (Pioneer Commerce Center, Donner Pass & Pioneer Trail), ☎ 530-550-9516, . 7:00am-4:00pm. Housemade breads, huge sandwiches, fresh soup, housebaked goods, full espresso bar, local favorite edit
- Moody's Bistro & Lounge  10007 Bridge Street Truckee, CA 9616 (530) 587-8688 Pricey, but delicious sustainable food in an elegant setting.
The oldest stretch of "Downtown" Truckee (towards the East end of town) features a string of bars and is a lively scene most nights during the high season. Visitors should take note that the Truckee Police and California Highway Patrol have a zero-tolerance policy for drunk driving, and sobriety stops are not uncommon. While crime rates in the area are very low, a larger-than-expected number of locals boast a D.U.I. on their records due to this enforcement focus.
- Best Western Truckee Tahoe Inn, 11331 Brockway Road, ☎ +1 530 587-4525 (fax: +1 530 587-8173), . edit
- Holiday Inn Express, 10527 Cold Stream Rd, ☎ +1 530 582-9999, . edit
- Hotel Truckee - Tahoe, 11331 Brockway Road, ☎ 530.587.4525, . checkin: 3:00 PM; checkout: 11:00 AM. Near Donner Lake and view of Sierra Nevada mountains. There is a restaurant on the premise called Mountain Burrito Company. edit
- Tahoe National Forest - Truckee District, 9646 Donner Pass Road, ☎ +1 530 587-3558 (email@example.com), . Truckee is at the center of the Truckee District of Tahoe National Forest which offers hiking, hunting, fishing, skiing, off-highway vehicle usage, camping, boating, and swimming. Most of these are free but permits may be required. Check with the ranger station for details. edit
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!