Tracunhaém is a city in Pernambuco, Brazil
Small town of only 12.8 thousand inhabitants. Located 63 Km northwest of Recife, in the heart of Pernambuco's sugar-cane growing region. The name of the city comes from the native Tupi-Guarani language, and stands for "Ants Pot".
Fly to Guararapes-Gilberto Freyre International Airport (REC) in Recife.
From Recife, you can rent a car or take a bus from the TIP Bus Terminal.
Interstate highway BR-408 (via Carpina) leads you to Tracunhaém.
Expresso 1002 serves the Recife-Tracunhaém route, with stops in-between. Tel.: (81) 3452-2796.
Tracunhaém is one of Brazil's main ceramic and clay art production centers. Half of the population is either directly or indirectly employed in the production of ceramic artifacts. Visit artisans and local fairs.
Ceramics, ceramics, ceramics! This is the place to be if you enjoy ceramics. You can also find good quality tapestry and handicrafts.
- ASSOCIATRA (Associação dos Artesãos de Tracunhaém), the Association of Tracunhaém Artisans. Rua Antônio Felipe de Souza, 181 (Centro), tel.: (81) 3646.1672 / 8801.3251
- Studios of Tracunhaém Itinerary (developed by Imaginário Pernambucano):
- Amaro de Tracunhaém Studio
- Carlos Sivini Studio
- Dona Maria Amélia Studio
- Ivo Studio
- Jair Studio
- Josafá Studio
- Leydson Studio
- Lourdes Studio
- Manuelzinho Studio
- Seu Nuca de Tracunhaém Studio
- Severino de Tracunhaém Studio
- Sussula Studio
- Tibúrcio Studio
- Zezinho de Tracunhaém Studio
- Pousada Engenho Cueirinha, Nazaré da Mata-Buenos Aires road, tel.: (81) 9617-4969, .
- Eco Resort Ruc - Fazenda Engenho Cordeiro, State Highway PE-090, in the direction of Lagoa do Carro/Carpina, tel.: (81) 3621-8188 / 9984-1056, .
- Lagoa do Carro, famous for its tapestry. You can also visit the Cachaça Museum.
- Caruaru, another major ceramic art and handicraft production center in Brazil.
- Recife, vibrant capital of Pernambuco state.
- Olinda, beautiful colonial town in the Atlantic coast. UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Igarassu, colonial town, home to Brazil's oldest church and Latin America's largest collection of barroque art.
- Porto de Galinhas, consistently voted Brazil's best beach.