Tornio  (Swedish: Torneå) is a city in Finnish Lapland.
Being estabilished in 1621 Tornio is definitely the oldest city in Lapland. Today the city has approximately 22 000 inhabitants. Tornio forms a unique economical zone together with Swedish town Haparanda. The city has a large steel factory and a famous brewery (Lapin Kulta), which was closed in August 2010. Outokumpu steel company is biggest employer in Tornio area.
While Tornio may be a good place to see the Northern Lights, many things are closed during the winter (though they may not be advertised as such).
Most people arrive with their own car to Tornio (along E4 road) either from Haparanda, Sweden as Tornio is a border town or from the Finnish side either from Kemi, Rovaniemi or Kilpisjärvi (Enontekiö).
VR  has a night train from Helsinki to Kolari, which stops at Tornio, the station is named Tornio- Itäinen.
More trains stop at Kemi, 30 km away from Tornio. From there you'll have to continue with the bus service provided by Matkahuolto .
From Finland, you can check Matkahuolto's website  for information about timetables and fares.
From Sweden, check Länstrafiken Norrbotten  and Resrobot . Direct expressbus connection from Stockholm to Tornio is offered by Tapanis Buss .
There is an airport in Kemi, 20km away from Tornio.
The city is small; therefore, you can get everywhere by walking. Its also easy to visit Haparanda in Sweden just by walking. However, the winters can be bitterly cold, so dress accordingly.
Kukkola Rapids north of the city center
TornioHaparanda Tourist Information Office Travelcenter, Krannigatan 5, 953 85 Haparanda. Tel. +358 (0)50 590 0562, +46 (0)922 262 00. 
- Church of Tornio One of the most beautiful wooden churches still in use in Finland. The church was designed and completed by Matti Härmä in 1689, making the building over 300 years old.
- Church of Alatornio Classic church designed by Jacob Rijfin and completed in 1797. The church is part of the Struve Geodetic Arc protected as Unesco World Heritage Site.
- Orthodox Church of Tornio An orthodox church completed in 1884 and dedicated to apostles Peter and Paul. Open during the summer. For more information: Tourist information office +358 (0)50 590 0562
- Church of Haparanda Church constructed in 1963 to replace the old church of Haparanda that was burned down. Sometimes called the ugliest church in Sweden due to the copper sheet that has darkened over the years.
- Kukkola Rapids In river Tornio, situated some 10 km north of the town.
- Arboretum Park An excellent teaching and observation area. No entrance fee.
- Butiken på landet Situated in a beautiful country milieu 35k m north from Haparanda.
- Taavolagården Situated 3 km north of Haparanda. You can buy tasty strawberries, fresh black currants and other local products or have a coffee in a beautiful early 19th century environment.
- Historical Museum of Tornio River Valley A visit to the museum gives a good overall impression of the history of the entire Western part of Lapland. Entrance fee: 2-4 euros.
- Haparanda Railway Station The station building was constructed in 1918.
- Stone Age settlements Located on the northern outskirts of Haparanda.
- Hermansons Handelsgård Hermansons trading house was built in 1832 and it is one of the best remained buildings in Northern Sweden.
- Smeds Gold & Silver Gallery Silversmith Jorma Smeds forges traditional Lap Silver using hammer and an anvil. 
- Jaur Showroom A desing gallery which presents the internationally renowned artefacts of Eero Hyrkäs. Open Mon-Fri 12-16.30. Free entrance.
- Aine Art Museum The art collection presented in the museum is from the Aine Visual Arts Foundation collection. Open Tue-Thu 11-18, Fri-Sun 11-15. Entrance fee: 4 euros, children for free.
- Gallery Koivikko Contemporary artist Steve Pratt, working studio, gallery and gardens located within a traditional 1930's farm courtyard, overlooking the Tornio river vallet. Situated 35 km north of Tornio.
- Postelli Paula Salminen Workshop is located by the sea in Laivaniemi 10 km from Tornio.
- Alkunkarinlahti nature trails A bird reservation site with three observation towers, covered trails and a campfire site. A must-see for a bird-watcher!
- Haparanda Archipelago National Park The beautiful park includes two large islands, Seskarö and Seskar Furö, and a number of smaller islands and skerries. There is a boat going to Sandskär in June. Both ringed seal and grey seal can be seen in the waters of the national park. More information from Staffan Svanberg +46 (0)70 552 7636 or the Tourist information office +358 (0)50 590 0562
- Kukkolaforsen Turist & Konferens  Different types of saunas and a fantastic view to the rapids. Local products from Meän Baakeri-bakery. A great restaurant and a café. In the summer time you can participate in long-handle net fishing and river rafting. Kukkolaforsen 184, Haparanda, Puh. +46 (0)922 310 00, 
- Perämeri National Park A group of islands lying far apart from each other; a characteristic view for Perämeri National Park! Many different bird species are nesting in the park and seals can be seen in the waters. A great experience for anyone enjoying swimming and sunshine!
- Pororanta A rental cabin with a sauna and beds for 6 people. There is a grilling hut on the yard and a possibility to rent a canoe or a boat. During the summer time you can fish in the river and participate in reindeer rides in the winter. Ruohokarintie 26, Tornio, Puh. +358 (0)400 882 115, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Artic Iceroad Production A wide range of programme services. For example guided tours with an authorised guide, guided fishing and hunting tours, extreme and survival adventures, rally and off-road safaris. Also equipment rental, bicycles, skies, ice skates and canoes. Hallituskatu 9, Tronio, Puh. +358 (0)40 555 8529 
- Green Zone Golf A unique golf course in the golfing world. The border is crossed four times during the game and you have the possibility to make a hole in one across the border on the sixth hole. The time difference between Finland and Sweden is one hour so it takes an hour to hit the green! In the middle of the summer the sun shines 24 hours a day so you can play even during the night.
- Hovilompolo Situated 23 km north of Tornio.A traditional country manor with a large courtyard, terrace, a smoke sauna and a Lappish tent. A rental cottage for sunny summer days! Husantie 4, Tornio, tel. +358 (0)40 531 9353 []
- Matkakoski Fiskecamp Net fishing, fishing from a boat. Try the different saunas and have a barbecue at the grilling area! Also camping places for caravans and campers. Matkakoski 138, Haparanda, tel. +46 (0)70 539 6392 
- Mattila bärodling Situated 3 km north of Haparanda. Try the local strawberries, black currants and broccoli! You can also buy these delicacies home, and even pick them yourself! Mattila, Haparanda, tel. +46 (0)922 102 74
- Palogården Guided nature trips, trips to the forest for mushrooms and berries. Hunting, tractor safaris, clay-pigeon shooting, go-kart track and a smoke sauna. Unique experiences and fun! Also a summer café. Vojakkala 137, Haparanda, tel. +46 (0)922 601 77 
- Nordic Safaris River and white-water rafting safaris with rubber and rowboats in the summer. During winter time snowmobile safaris to Sampo Ice breaker and Snow Castle. Koskitie 130, Kukkola, Tornio, tel. +358 (0)40 755 1858 
- Traffic park for children Summer fun for children. The park is situated in Tornio, close to the water tower. Open every day during summertime at 11-17 closed in case of rain. Juhannussaari, Tornio, tel. +358 (0)40 776 5852
- Go-kart An exciting go-kart track situated 9 km north of Haparanda. Open during summer time. Aspen Karting Klubb, Vojakkala 167, Haparanda, Puh. +46 (0)70 3335 5723 
- Björkagård A small animal farm with a donkey, a shetland pony, mini pigs, reindeers, a goat, rabbits and cats. Open every day 8-19. Almarksvägen, Haparanda, Puh. +46 (0)70 658 3897
- Candy World & Lekland The largest candy store in Europe! A new playground for children. Day ticket 95 kr. 
- Kotieläinpiha Tara Domestic animal farm in Arpela, 20 km from Tornio. Riding tours and camps. Open all year round. 
The hot summer days can also be spent swimming in the cool Tornio river, lake Karsikkojärvi or in the beautiful island of Seskarö.
- Twin City Festivals Northern town athmosphere and top artists mainly from Finland and Sweden.
- Kalott Jazz & Blues  A yearly jazz and blues festival.
- Rajasoitto  Folk music, folk dance and accordion festival.
- Peräpohjola Historical Market  A market event that takes us to the 1800's.
- White fish festival and Kukkolafästit  Old traditions and culture are cherished on both sides of Kukkola village.
- Wheels Classic Motor Meet Nationals 
- Midnight Sun Golf Marathon Four days and three nights of golfing; an exiciting competition between teams
- National Sauna Day Enjoy sauna, music and good company at Kukkolankoski.
- Art Bazaar  An art event that was first organised in 1991 at Aine Art Museum. Artists from both Finland and Sweden.
- New Year Celebrations The new year is celebrated on the border with double fireworks!
There is an IKEA  in Haparanda. The largest candy store in Europe among other interesting shops can be found from Ikano next to IKEA. There is also a new shopping center Rajalla-På Gränsen  on the border to Sweden that was opened in 2008. Great souvenirs can be bought from Tornedals Hemslöjd .
- Cape East A restaurant at the eastern-most point of Sweden. À la carte and lunch. Sundholmen 1, Haparanda, tel. +46 (0)922 800 791 
- Haparanda Stadshotell Restaurant À la carte every day at 16-22. Game cellar, pub, Café Gulasch Baronen, night club. Torget 7, Haparanda, tel. +46 (0)922 614 90 
- Hulkoffgården An ecological restaurant where they serve food produced at the farm. Korpikylä 197, Haparanda, tel. +46(0)922 320 15 
- Josephine À la carte restaurant. Open Mon-Sat 11-23, Itäranta 4, Tornio, tel. +358 (0)16 433 11
- Kukkolaforsen Panorama restaurant and café with local delicacies. Lunch at 11-14. During summer time á la carte at 14-19, in the evenings bar list at 19-23, Sunday lunch at 12-16. Kukkolaforsen 184, Haparanda, tel. +46 (0)922 310 00 
- Palogården From May to August lunch and in June-July à la carte. Vojakkala 137, Haparanda, tel. + 46 (0)922 601 77
- Seskarö Wärdhus During summer time à la carte and bistro every day untill 21 o'clock. Buffet Sat-Sun 13-18. Industrivägen 1, Haparanda, tel. +46 (0)922 202 44
Budget & mid-range
- Golden Flower The first Chinese restaurant in Tornio. Chinese food and pizza. Open Mon 11-18, Tue-Fri 12-20, Sat-Sun 12-22. Eliaksenkatu 8, Tornio, tel. +358 (0)16 481 384
- Minerva A cosy café and lunch restaurant. Lunch Mon-Fri 11-13.30. Torget 3, Haparanda, tel. +46 (0)922 688 00 
- Kisälli Catering student training establishment. À la carte, café and bakery. Lunch Mon-Fri 11-13. During summer time only café and bakery open 9-14.30. Urheilukatu 6, Tornio, tel. +358 (0)10 343 4491
- Saigon A Vietnamese restaurant. Open Mon 10.30-19, Tue-Fri 10.30-22, Sat-Sun 10.30-22. Lunch Mon-Fri 10.30-19. Kauppakatu 13, Tornio, tel. +358 (0)16 430 565
- Subway French bread and salads. Open Mon-Fri 12-20, Sat 10-19, Sun 12-18. Rajalla - På Gränsen Shopping Centre, Länsiranta 10, Tornio, tel. +358 (0)50 582 3331 
- Café Picnic Lunch delicacies: French bread, salads, pasta, soup. Rajalla - På Gränsen kauppakeskus, Tornio 
- Tasty Fast Food Chinese, Italian and Thai food and pizza. Open Mon 11-20, Tue-Thu 11-22, Fri 11-4.30, la 12-4.30, su 12-20. Lunch Mon-Fri 11-15. Laivurinkatu 5, Tornio, tel. +358 (0)16 480 150
- Tornio Kerhoravintola Lunch Mon-Fri 11-15. À la carte Mon-Fri 11-21, Sat-Sun 12-21. Puutarhakatu 9, Tornio, tel. +358 (0)16 482 201
- Umpitunneli Lounas ma-pe 11-14. À la carte ,a-pe 11-21.30 la 13-21.30, su 13-20. Musiikkia, yökerho, kokoustilat ja sauna. Kesällä terassi. Hallituskatu 15, Tornio, tel +358 (0)16 430 360
- Grillikioski Kukkolankoski Catering Delicacies from Peräpohjola: salmon soup, smoked fish, reindeer, grilled white fish. Open in the summer Sun-Thu 7-22, Fri-Sun 7-02. Koskitie 4, Kukkola, Tornio, tel. +358 (0)40 730 1524
- Meerin Grilli Delicious grilled food. Open Sun-Tue 10-02, Wed-Thu 10-04.30, Fri-Sun 10-06. Länsiranta, Tornio, tel. +358 (0)16 480 430
- Pizzeria Amanda Pizza, grilled food, kebab, tex mex and salad. Open every day 10-22. Repslagergatan 57, Haparanda, tel. +46 (0)922 109 99
- Turkinpippuri Kebab and pizza. Open Mon-Thu 10.30-22, Fri-Sun 10.30-4.30, Sun 12-22. Laivurinkatu 10, Tornio, tel. +358 (0) 16 611 116
- Mario's Pizzeria Kebab, pizza salads and falafel. Open Mon-Sun 10-22 Torikatu 10, Tornio
- Arnolds Bakery & Coffee Shop Doughnuts, bagels, smoothies and other delicacies. Open Mon-Fri 9-20, Sat 10-18, Sun 12-18. Rajalla – På Gränsen kauppakeskus, Länsiranta 10, Tornio. Tel. +358 (0)45 230 7222, 
- Café Aine The coffee shops is situated in Aine Art Museum. Open Tue-Thu 11-18, Fri-Sun 11-15. Torikatu 2, Tornio. Tel. +358 (0)50 597 1189 
- Café Maya Coffee and tea products. Open Mon-Fri 10-17, Sat 12-17. Storgatan 92, Haparanda. Tel. +46 (0)922 137 46.
- Café Station A youth café where you can surf the Internet and play pool. Järnvägsgatan 21, Haparanda. Tel. +46 (0)922 125 57.
- Karkiainen Coffee house and restaurant. Lunch 11-15. Bakery products for sweet tooths. Open Mon-Fri 8-18, Sat 10-17, Sun 12-17. Länsiranta 9, Tornio. Tel. +358 (0)16 480 669.
- Eko Sisu Studio A cosy cafeteria near the shopping centre, that also sells house decor articles. Open Mon-Fri 11-17, Sat 11-15. Länsiranta 9, Tornio. Tel. +358 (0)40 184 0104
- Myllynpirtti Coffee house and restaurant. Open June-August Mon-Thu 9-22, Fri-Sat 9-24, Sun 10-22. Koskitie, Kukkola, Tornio. Tel. +358 (0)16 472 044 
- Nya Konditoriet Fresh bakery products. Open Mon-Fri 8-17, Sat 9-15. Storgatan 73, Haparanda. Tel. +46 (0)922 612 80.
- Hallituscafe Cosy cafe and catering service. Open Mon-Fri 7.00-17, Sat 10-15. Hallituskatu 14, Tornio. Tel. +358 40 931 8491
- Robert’s Coffee & SpiceIce Open Mon-Sat 10-20, Sun 12-19. Rajalla – På Gränsen shopping centre, Länsiranta 10, Tornio. Tel. +358 (0)400 114 790.  
Bars & Pubs and Night Clubs
- Jetset More underground goers than in Umpitunneli. Students get in free every night. Satamakatu , Tornio.
- Paradise and Captain Nelson Tornio City Hotel's bar and nightclub. Puutarhakatu 2, Tornio. Tel. +358 400 105 800 http://www.tch.fi/
- Pikku Berliini A German pub. Hallituskatu 11, Tornio. 
- Umpitunneli A restaurant, a bar and an outside terrace. Beautiful view to the river. Hallituskatu 15, Tornio. Tel. +358 (0)16 430 360 
- Vanha Mestari A pub. Karaoke on Tuesday and Friday. Also serves some food such as chicken wings or pizza. Hallituskatu 5, Tornio Tel. 016-430 663
- Haparanda Vandrarhem Situated by Tornio River in Haparanda centre. 23 rooms. Strandgatan 26, Haparanda. Tel. +46 809922 611 71
Book ahead of time, as they may not necessarily be open during the advertised hours (16:00-19:00).
- Summer hotel Lappia Situated in Tornio centre. In June-July the students apartements are rented for travellers. The rooms have a toilet, shower and cooking facilities. Bookings Mon-Fri 8-16. Urheilukatu 6, Tornio. Tel. +358 (0)10 192 049 
- Palogården Situated 6 km north of Haparanda. The hostel used to be a gardening and agricultural school. Rates from 200 kr (25 euros). Taxi from Haparanda bus station will cost around 200 kr. Vojakkala 137, Haparanda. Tel. +46 (0)922 601 77 
- Harjugården Situated 35 km north of Haparanda. Comfortable rooms for 2-4 people, cottages, saunas. Harju 131, Karungi, Haparanda. Tel. +46 (0)922 320 94 
- Långforsen Situated 25 km west of the Swedish Karungi. Rooms and cottages for rent. Several saunas, a large hut, a scooter café and food. Lappträsk, Haparanda. Tel. +46 (0)922 520 08 
- Norrskens Hotell & Camping Situated 3 km north of Haparanda centre. 10 rooms and 50 camping places. Mattila 233, Haparanda. Tel. +46 (0)922 123 01 
- Peräpohjolan Opisto Situated 2,5 km north of Tornio. 30 rooms with a toilet and shower. Cooking facilities and washing mashine. Kivirannantie 13-15, Tornio. Tel. +358 (0)40 536 4423 [www.ppopisto.fi]
- E-City Bed & Breakfast Situated in Tornio centre, by the beautiful Tornio river. In a somewhat residential area, but close to the city center. Rates start at 50 euros per night for a single room (approx. 415 kr), including breakfast. Proprietors are very friendly and helpful. Saarenpäänkatu 39, Tornio. Tel. +358 (0)16 480 897 
- Älvagård Situated 8 km north of Haparanda in charming countryside surroundings. Vojakkala 287, Haparanda, puh. +46 (0)922 310 00
- Camping Tornio Situated 2,5 km south of Tornio centre. Open 3.5-30.9 (closed in Midsummer 25.-26.6.) 15 cottages, 60 camping places with electricity for caravans and campers. A beautiful beach and riverside sauna. Rental boats. Tel. +358 (0)16 445 945
- Revonsaari Camping Situated 9 km north of Haparanda. Tent and caravan/camper spots and a large cottage. Revonsaari 409, Haparanda. Tel. +46 (0)922 600 07, +46 (0)70 690 1406
- Seskarö Strandby & Camping Situated in the beautiful Seskarö island, 25 km south of Haparanda. The camping site is open during the summer. Various cottages and camper/caravan/tent spots. A beach, mini golf track, campfire places and possibility to fish. Kiosk and grill-café. Trömsövägen 1, Seskarö, Haparanda. Tel. +46 (0)498 203 300 
- Hulkoffgården Situated 35 km north of Haparanda in charming countryside surroundings. High standard Bed and Breakfast accommodation. Possibility to fish and hunt. Korpikylä 197, Haparanda. Tel. +46 (0)922 320 15 
- Nivagården Situated 35 km north of Haparanda. A well equipped cottage for 7 people. Farm animals. Korpikylä 224, Haparanda, puh. +46 (0)922 320 00 
- Cape East Situated in the easternmost point of Sweden, 1,5 km from Haparanda centre, by the river. An outside swimming pool, restaurant, a mini golf track, playground for children and a café. In august 2010 the world's largest spa and sauna will be opened. Sundholmen 1, Haparanda, Tel. +46(0)922 800 790 
- Sverigefinska folkhögskolan Situated in Haparanda centre. 23 hotel standard rooms and cooking facilities. In summer time also 28 hostel rooms. Torget 3, Haparanda. Tel. +46 (0)922 688 00 
- Haparanda Stadshotell Old-time glory in Haparanda centre. 92 rooms, a restaurant, game cellar, sauna compartment. Torget 7, Haparanda. Tel. +46 (0)922 614 90 
- Tornion Kaupunginhotelli Situated in Tornio centre by the river. 98 rooms with shower and toilet, telephone, tv and wireless Internet connection. 5 different restaurant and sauna compartment. Itäranta 4, Tornio. Tel. +358 (0)16 433 11 
- Kukkolaforsen Turist & Konferens Situated 15 km north of Haparanda in beautiful rapids. Cottages, different types of saunas and a restaurant. Also places for tents, campers and caravans. Kukkolaforssen 184, Haparanda. Tel. +46(0)922 310 00 
The Swedish town of Haparanda is situated at the other side of the border.WikiPedia:Tornio