Toliara is a city in Madagascar.
Air Madagascar connecting flights from Antananarivo (daily), Morondava (once a week), Ft. Dolphin (twice a week). Book your flight early as these flights often fill up.
Mini-buses are the cheapest way to get to Toliara. In Tana you can catch them at the Fasan-karana taxi brousse station. They leave around 9AM and 4PM. They cost 35,000 Ariary and take 18 - 24 hours to get to Toliara depending on the quality of the car and the number of times you break down. The drivers are pros at repairing their vehicles, with an array of parts in the trunk, and friends/connections along the travel route. You can also catch a taxi brousse to Toliara from any of the major cities on the RN7.
Many travellers rent a car and work their way down the RN7 over a few days. This is a great way to see a lot of different parts of the country. Major attractions on this route are Parc National Ranomafana (near Fianarantsoa) and Parc National Isalo. Cars usually run 130,000 Ariary a day plus fuel. Car rentals almost always come with a driver.
Rickshaws, locally called, "Pousse-pousse" are seemingly everywhere in Toliara. They are the cheapest form of transport available and are great to get you out of the hot sun or to go short distances with heavy luggage or shopping bags. While it may seem a bit odd for the first-time tourist to be pulled around the street by a man, rest assured that this awkwardness is only one way. These guys are proud of their pousse-pousse and the work they do. These aren't just for tourists, everyone uses them so go ahead and hop on-board!
- Arboretum d'Antsokay, RN7 (12km east of Tulear on RN7), ☎ +261 34 07 600 15, . 7h30 AM - 5h30 PM. This impressive botanical garden outside of Tulear gives you a taste of the spiny forest. English speaking guides are extremely knowledgeable of the plant life. Birds, chameleons, and other lizards are sure to be spotted. 15,000Ar includes an optional guide. 15,000Ar. edit
The downtown craft market "Tsena Cociagy" is located behind Etoile de Mer and the Alliance Francais. Numerous handicrafts and shells are available. Please note that some of these shells are endangered species and bringing them into your home country can get you in a lot of trouble. Handicrafts are not made locally, but are brought in from Ambositra and Fianarantsoa so if you come down the RN7, better to buy them there or in Tana as prices are lower there and the selection is greater.
Getting Money Out
ATMs are located at the BNI, BFV and BOA banks in town, 24/7. The former two will accept Mastercard and Visa, BOA will only take Visa.
- Etoile de Mer, (Main coastal Rd not far from center of town). Open for lunch and dinner. Large restaurant with an extensive menu, this restaurant serves French and Indian dishes as well as pizza. There is a wide, breezy terrace and a pool table. Occasionally the restaurant is closed to the public for marriages or private events. Free Wifi! 12,000. edit
- La Maison, Avenue d'Independence (Across from the post office). French restaurant and bar with a slick atmosphere, a big TV (usually playing music videos softly) and a pool table. Many of the French residents of Toliara frequent this restaurant for enjoyment of French cuisine and wine, and a bias to their language of origin in the Euro form. Free Wifi! 12,000 Ar. edit
- La Terrase (Pizza Jeff), Toliara Centre, near Galana station. French-owned restaurant on a terrace. Specializes in breakfast (including English breakfast), salads, and pizza. Offers large glasses of delicious fresh made juice. Has almost free Wifi; they charge a small fee to plug in to their power socket. 11,000 Ar. edit
- Traveaux (Brochette alley), (Behind (towards town) B52 Casino and Etoile de Mer). The local watering hole, this is where Toliara's residents turn out in force to quaff beer and spirits, and gourmadize on kebabs, grilled chicken, taro and other tasty foodstuffs, and generally just socialize. Food and bars start serving around 6pm but the place doesn't get going until 8pm. This is the only place to get food in Toliara after 10pm. edit
- Hotel Victory, Tuléar, . checkin: 06am; checkout: 12mid-day. A modern hotel 43rooms/suites fully equiped in a beautiful tropical garden with swimming-pool. Large menu. English spoken here. 10 minutes from the airport with pick-up by hotel bus. Many possibilities for excursions, sailing, diving, snorkelling, big game fishing. 50/80€. edit
- Le Refuge, (On road to Anketa from downtown, on left). Small, smart hotel with beautiful garden and swimming pool 40,000 Ar and up. edit
- Serena Hotel, Boulevard Philbert Tsiranana (Near BNI bank towards the market. Above the Evolution Super market), ☎ +261 (0)20 94 411 73 / +261 (0)32 05 600 39, . Small hotel with 8 rooms located downtown. Has free wifi connection in the rooms and a nice tea parlor overlooking the street. 40,000 and p. edit
- Hôtel Le Palétuvier, Boulevard Lyautey (Located on the seaside road near the intersection with the Boulevard Philibert Tsiranana), ☎ +261 (0)20 94 440 39 / +261 (0)32 02 542 83, . Toliar's largest hotel and main conference center. Has a pool and a small internet cafe. 60,000 and up. edit
- Central Hotel, Bazary be (Center of town near the Ganivala Internet Cafe), ☎ +261 (0)20 94 428 84 / +261 (0)32 02 553 25 / +261 (0)34 01 410 80. This authentic small local hotel in the center of town with spacious rooms and terraces overlooking the street is a real find. Terraces have swings which are perfect for napping in the hot mid-day sun. Rooms have large ceiling fans and internal showers. Some rooms have private toilets, others share. The location central to town center is VERY quiet during the night, whereas other areas can be very noisy with dogs, music, and roosters. The bustling market begins at 7am, with the sounds of those putting merchandise and goods out in the stalls. Not enough to greatly disturb sleep except for the light sleeper. You can be the first at the market steps away should you wish. Rooms are very reasonably priced and discounts are common for longer stays. Ask! 25,000 - 35,000 Ariary. edit
- Auberge de la Table, RN 7 (12km east of Tulear on RN7), . checkin: 14h00; checkout: 12h00. ☎ +261 34 07 600 15. Check-in: 14h00, check-out: 12h00. A wonderful place to stay on the grounds of the Arboretum d'Antsokay. The bungalows are clean, spacious, and luxurious -- much attention is paid to detail. You'll wake up to the sound of birds who call the arboretum home. Being far out of the city, this is a place to get away relax. A swimming pool and restaurant round out the grounds. Free Wifi. Accept Visa and MasterCard payments. Bungalows start at 60,000Ar as of 11/2014. 60,000Ar. edit