Ota (大田) Ward is a suburban area of Tokyo, located between Shinagawa and Kawasaki.
The name "Ota" is a combination of Omori and Kamata, two former wards which merged to form Ota Ward. Omori and Kamata remain the major urban centers in the ward.
Ota is home to Tokyo International Airport , also known as Haneda Airport. Haneda is the busiest airport in Asia.
The Keikyu Airport Line offers a quick connection from Haneda to Keikyu Kamata, with onward connections available to central Tokyo and Yokohama. The train stops running between 12:20am and 5:30am but taxis are still available.
The main train stations in Ota are Omori (JR Keihin-Tohoku) Kamata (JR Keihin-Tohoku, Tokyu Ikegami and Tokyu Tamagawa lines) and Keikyu Kamata (Keikyu Main Line and Keikyu Airport Line).
The eastern, predominantly industrial side of the ward is served by the Tokyo Monorail, which runs from Haneda Airport to Hamamatsucho Station in Minato Ward.
The only thing worth seeing in the area is the Tamagawa River which stretches from Haneda Airport to Kawasaki city and beyond.
A great place for a jog or a bicycle ride with the locals.
Best time to see it is in spring when all the cherry trees are in bloom.
- Ikegami Honmon-ji (池上本門寺), 1-1-1, Ikegami, Ōta-ku Tokyo 146-8576, . contains a number of buildings, most of which have been reconstructed since the bombing of 15 March 1945. They include the Important Cultural Property designated five-storey pagoda built in 1608, the kyōzō (経蔵, repository of religious writings) built in 1784, and the hōtō (宝塔), built in 1781 where Nichiren was cremated. Other buildings have been rebuilt, or newly constructed, since 1945. edit
- Granduo Kamata, . Located right inside JR Kamata Station and split into East and West buildings, Granduo is a typical department store that has some good and reasonably priced restaurants and take-home food on the top and basement floors. edit
- Don Quijote, (Located right outside the West Exit of JR Kamata Station), . A 24-hour discount store that sells everything from grocery items to clothing, bicycles, electronics, jewelry, and gag gifts. edit
- Tsutaya, (Located inside JR Kamata Station), . Tsutaya is a major video and music rental store located right inside JR Kamata Station. edit
Labeld a "widely known secret", Kamata has transformed itself in recent years into an entertainment hub with a ton of drinking establishments clustred around JR Kamata station.
- Select Bar, 5-45-1 YM Building 1F, Kamata (East exit of Kamata station, head south and turn right at third crossing. Second building to the left), ☎ +81-(0)3-3737-5016. Opens at 5PM daily, closed on Sundays and public holidays. One of the most popular 'standing bars' and frequented by japanese and foreigners alike. All drinks and food is priced ¥300. They serve great meatloaf which fits well with a couple of beers. edit
Apart from Kamata, you'll mostly find small bars serving the locals, those having a few beers before going home. If you're looking for a wild night out, then you're in the wrong neighborhood. However, there is plently of atmosphere and prices are reasonable.
- Shot Bar St. Elmo's, 2-3-4 2F, Sanno, Ota (West side of Omori station, across the street and 100 m left. On second floor), ☎ +81-(0)3-5709-3172. Open daily between 6PM-3AM execpt Sundays. A low-key bar located in Omori serving excellent drinks, free traditional bar snacks are usually served edit
- Hotel JAL City Haneda Tokyo, . The closest reasonable hotel to Haneda Airport, overlooking the maintenance facilities on the west side of the airfield. Single rooms start around ¥10,000. edit
- Haneda Excel Hotel Tokyu, inside Terminal 2 at Haneda Airport, . Single rooms start around ¥20,000. edit
- Ohfu Hotel Kamata, 4-18-24 Kamata Ota-ku (two minutes on foot from Keikyu Kamata Station (West Exit), ten minutes from Haneda airport), ☎ 03-5713-3939 (Intl.:+81-03-5713-3939) (firstname.lastname@example.org), . checkin: 3PM; checkout: 10AM. edit
- Hotel Urbain Kamata Annex, 4-23-13 Kamata Ota-ku (two minutes on foot from Keikyu Kamata Station (turn left at the West Exit, then turn right at the line of taxis and head down the part of the road that the 7-Eleven is on; it's on the right side of the street), ten minutes from Haneda airport), ☎ 03-3732-5123 (Intl.:+81-03-3732-5123), . checkin: 4PM; checkout: 11AM. standard rate is ¥8000 for a single room, however, booking through Rakuten Travel brings down the rate to ¥6000.. edit