Tiruchirappalli (Trichy or Tiruchy) is in the state of Tamil Nadu in southern India.
Trichy is an ancient city of South India and it was capital of Chola and Naicka kings for many centuries, having historical background. The battle between British (East Indian Company) & French with the help of locals, decided the beginnings of British empire in southern part of India.
Tamil is the language spoken in Trichy. The accent of Tamil spoken here is the closest to neutral (unlike the cities of Chennai, Madurai, Coimbatore and Tirunelveli, which have their characteristic and heavy accents).
English is understood by most of those in the city.
Hindi is neither spoken nor understood by the majority of the people.
Tiruchy or Tiruchirappalli is well connected to Chennai the capital city of Tamil Nadu by bus, train as well as by air services. Frequently there are buses and trains from Chennai. Night travel is the best if travelling by train or by bus.
The highest number of buses leaving Chennai is towards Trichy and vice versa. There is almost a bus leaving every hour in each direction.You can either take the state government run buses(State Express Transport Corporation or TamilNadu State Transport Corp.) or private buses.The Private buses run by the following operators are very convenient and timely and comfortable:
- KPN Travels
- Parveen Travels
- SRM Travels
- Narmada Travels
Other alternatives are at Redbus 
All these have Internet bookings so you can plan your trip in advance.
The airport is located around 5 km towards Pudukottai at Chembattu.
Since 2008, Tiruchirappalli became a convenient low-cost entry point to India from South-East Asia (or vice versa), as AirAsia  started to fly here from Kuala Lumpur. Tickets booked in advance cost around Rs 3,000 (US$60, for a 4 hr flight), but can be well below Rs 2,000 during frequent sales. This is quite a good option even if you fly from Thailand to South India. Singapore based LCC (Low Cost Carrier) Tiger Airways provides a service from Singapore 4 times weekly. Air India Express LCC subsidiary of Indian Airlines flies to and from Dubai, Kuala Lumbur, Singapore daily and Abu Dhabi weekly twice. Air India Express also operates a daily domestic service to Chennai and weekly service to Mumbai. Sri Lankan airlines gives connection to rest of the world through Colombo as transit point. Jet airways operate daily thrice service to chennai.
Trichy Railway Station is well connected to all cities and most of the major tows in India. It is one of the busiest railway station in Tamilnadu. It is one of the major junctions which has trains to Trivandrum, Chennai, Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore, Kochin, Madurai, Coimbatore and Tirunelveli.
Major national highways pass through Tiruchirappalli leading to well connected road network to rest of India.
- taxiGUIDE.in (Tiruchirappalli Car Rental), ☎ +91 888 023 4455 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Inquiry: 7am to 11pm. Tiruchirappalli Car Rental services on taxiGUIDE.in - a Chauffeur Driven Car Rental service in 75 Cities in India. Fares start from Rs.1400 for full day local & Rs.9.5/km for Outstation. edit
- Thanjavur, another Historical city away from 60 km, Important tourist center in South India, famous for its Brihadeeshwara Temple - Big Temple, Don't miss it. There are many interesting places and temples in and around Thanjavur.
- Pudukkottai at 45 km from Trichy, near by to Sithanna vasal, famous for its carvings & Paintings dated back centuries.
- Jayakondam, 120 km, important historical place.
- Karur, 80 km, Industrial town for handlooms and woven fabrics and you can find few temples.
- On your way to Kulithalai, you can enjoy the road journey virtually on the banks of Cauvery, unforgettable experience.
Trichy district is famous for many ancient and popular temples and religious institutions. The bus network of Trichy is well developed and most of the city readily accessible by bus at reasonable fares.
- The Rockfort Temple, (5 km at the North of Trichy junction. The temple can be reached from Central Bus stand or Trichy Junction with bus #1 for Rs 3). 6AM- 8PM. The temple complex has many temples. Thayumaanavar, Uchchi pillayar and Maanikka vinayagar are the most important temples. One can feel the icy chill of the wind when getting to the top of the rock. (The temple is housed on the top of a famous rock-88 Metres tall). One also gets a splendid view of the city and the Cauvery river from the top. Enjoy the bird's eye view of Trichy, SriRangam, Cauvery and its surroundings in the morning or in the evening. A must-visit place of anyone in South India. edit
Sri Ranganathaswamy temple
- Sri Ranganathaswamy temple, (8 km from Trichy Junction. The temple can be reached from Central or City Bus stand by bus #1 for Rs 4). Temple for the sleeping form of Lord Vishnu. This temple is considred the foremost temple of lord vishnu (Bhooloka Vaikundam)for Vaishnavites. Very big temple having tallest Temple tower ( Raja gopuram).Many interesting things are there try to Explore and understand. One must see this temple for its history, architectural beauty and for its religious value. Non-Hindus can only go up to the sixth wall but not inside the gold topped sanctum sanctorum. The body of the Hindu saint Ramanuja has been preserved since 1000 years inside this temple.</ref> Free entrance, Rs. 10 for roof access. (10.87,78.68) edit
- Jambukeshwara Temple, (7 km from Trichy Junction and less than 1 km from Sri Ranganathaswamy temple). This is a famous Shiva temple and One of the five Pancha bootha kshetras (five elements namely water, earth, air, fire and ether). This one is appu sthala (representing water). free entrance. edit
- Erumbeeswarar Temple is a Hindu temple dedicated to Shiva, located in the town of Thiruverumbur in 14 km from Trichy Junction.Since the temple is atop a hill, it is locally called "Malai Kovil" (meaning hill temple).
- Perumal Malai, in Thuraiur. Another Temple for Lord Vishnu.
- Samayapuram Amman Temple, 13 km from Trichy Junction. People walk in from the surrounding districts to offer their prayers. Popular with the masses. Can be crowded on Fridays.
- Woriyur with Vekkaliamman Temple, 5 km from Trichy Junction. Popular with the masses. Can be crowded on Fridays.
- Vayalur Murugan Temple, The Vayalur Murugan Temple is a Hindu temple dedicated to Lord Muruga. This temple is around 1200 years old built during the reign of the Cholas.
- Thiruvellarai. Sendamarai kannan temple which was built before srirangam Renganadhaswami temple and thiruvanaikovil Jambukeshwara temple. It is 20 km from Trichy or 40 min of travel from Chatram bus stand in goverment/private bus. edit
- Viralimalai Murugan Temple.
- Gunaseelam - Vishnu Temple, dedicated to Lord Srinivasa.
- St.Joseph's Church 5 km from Trichy Jn. and is 200 years old.
- St. John's Church, at the cantonment is one of the oldest churches in India.
- T.E.L.C Holy Trinity Cathedral, Melapudur.
- All Saints Church, Salai Rd, Puthur.
- St. Lourd's Church, Theppakulam.
- Jaamiya Masjid in the centre of Trichy was built by the Nawab of Arcot more than two centuries ago.
- Thablay Aalam Baadsha Dhargah is the mausoleum of a Muslim saint who came to Trichy centuries ago.
Apart from temples, there are also some destinations, ideal for picnics/day trips.
- Mukkombu, A tourist spot at 15 km from Trichy Jn.
- Kallanai, A 2,000 yr old dam built on the river Kallanai, (an offshoot of the Cauvery river) by Karikala Cholan.
- Puliyancholai, A green hideout around a pretty waterfall. On the Foot hills of Kollimalai - Kolli hills near Thuraiur.
- Chinna Kadai Street, The main shopping center is the "Chinna Kadai" street that runs along the "teppakulum" (temple tank) of the Uchchi Pillaiyar Rock temple. The street is packed with apparel, jewellery and household merchandise stores interpersed with restaurants and snack bars.
- The most popular stores for apparel shopping are
- Saradhaas - very old store famous for silk saris and biggest store. Cheap and best quality
- Sri JJ Cut Piece - Superb collection of clothing (especially blouse materials) for Women!This shop exactly opposite to Mangal&Mangal
- Krishna Readymade Hall - cramped shop with good selection of readymade salwars and western wear
- Lakshmi Silks - further down the street beyond the Uchchi pillaiyar temple, good collection of wedding saris
- The Chennai Silks - variety of modern styles
- Traditional jewellery can be found in
- Mangal and Mangal-Good collection of jewellery.
- Gopaldas - good quality, traditional designs
- Shree Lakshmi Kreations - Diamond and Traditional Colourstone Jewelery.
- Thillainagar This is a well developed area where we can shop for the branded items
- Manghalam Towers A Popular mall spread over 60,000² ft at the heart of Trichy. "Reliance Hypermart" occupies 2 floors, has products ranging from groceries, house hold utensils, apparels, furnitures, electronics, luggages, foot wears and so on. The mall has "Vijay Food Court" having various food brands including Tandoor Xpress, Noodle King, Pizza corner, CFC, ifruit, Shree Bhavan and Baskin Robbins.It also houses a two screen multiplex complex and a multi cuisine hotel in the next floor.
- Femina Shopping Mall Hypermart in the centre of the city. Over 40,000² ft of shopping space, with all products from jewellery to chocolates, clothes, high end sarees and garments, a food court and children"s arcade, most products are imported from various parts of the world. catering to clients of all different classes, the moto here is to make sure everyone enjoys shopping as an experience to actually shop, so that they walk out knowing for certain they have got a good deal, this is made possible by our dedicated purchasing team who go all out to shelf products that are new, attractive and of the highest quality yet affordable.
- Dosai kal at Dhas irumbu store inside Srirangam temple or mangal and mangal. They make very thick dosai kal in good quality iron. However the prices need to be negotiated.
There are some very popular schools with high educational standards in the area, including The Higher Secondary School for Boys (Srirangam), SRV Higher Secondary school(Samayapuram),Kamala Niketan Montessori School[CBSE], St. Joseph's Anglo Indian Girls Higher Secondary School, Campion, St. John's Vestry, Sri Akilandeshwari Vidhyalaya, Mahatma Gandhi, RSK, Montfort School and Kamakoti Vidhyala.
There are several colleges in Tiruchy including Mookambigai College of Engineering(MCE),Shri Angalamman College of Engineering and Technology (SACET), JJ College of Engineering and Technology (JJCET) approximately 25 km from the central bus stand, Institute of Ophthalmology-Joseph Eye Hospital, Jamal Mohamed College, Bishop Heber's College, National College, Holy Cross College, SRC, IGC, EVR and the Law College of Trichy.
The National Institute of Technology & the Bharathidasan Institute of Managment are located near Tiruverumbur, 14 km from Trichy.
BharathiDasan University is 20 km from Trichy towards Pudukkottai Road.
Maakali Kizhangu is the special item in the City.This root is available in the Month of Markazhi (December) .this root can be prepared into pickles.
- Khurunji, Hotel Guru, (opposite Central Bus Stand). Pure vegetarian restaurant. Good quality food and fast service. All items are made fresh. Lunch meals priced at Rs 45 are available from 1PM-4PM. A typical meal for two can cost about Rs 70-100. A/C dining room for an extra Rs 5 per person. edit
- Sri Saraswathi Cafe, # 27,Rockins Rd (opposite Railway Junction), ☎ +91 431 241 2333, . Established 1964, traditional South Indian food with prompt service from 5:30AM-11:30AM. then lunch from 11:45AM-3:30PM. Evening snacks and meals up to 10:45PM. A/C dining service available at minimal extra cost. Home delivery and outdoor catering available. edit
- Marrybrown, Williams Rd, (near central bus stand, Cantonment)
- Andavar Sweets, Chathiram Bus Stand, Trichy.
- Sangeetha, Racquet Court Ln. Vegetarian restaurant of the Hotel Aanand edit
- Big chick, Fort Station Road, Thillainagar, (near Odysee)
- Chick punch, Spencers hyper mart food court, near Railway junction
- Cappuccino, The coffee shop, St Jospeh College shopping complex, Chatram bus stand
- Ice Blue Restaurant, Trichy-Tanjore highway near Thiruverumbur, (opposite VKN building). Newly opened non-vegetarian restaurant, serves high class chettinad food with great taste.
- Thanco's Fresh Fruitsz Ice-cream, Yummy Naturals, No.5,Parasakthi Complex, 2nd Cross, Thillainagar Main Rd, ☎ +91 431 4200750. 11AM-10PM. First ever fresh fruit icecream in Trichy, provided without artificial flavours, preservatives or chemicals. Wide variety of unique flavours like tender coconut, guava, sitaphal and chikoo. edit
- Seakings Ice Creams, 6 RR Sabha Buildings, W.B. Rd (near Chennai Silks), ☎ +91 431 270 0731. 10AM-9:30PM. A 33 year old ice cream parlour with a wide range of in-house ice cream sundaes to choose from. Includes signature dishes like Triple Treat and Falooda. edit
- Sree Krishnas, Rockin St (in front of Central bus stand.). A nice vegetarian restaurant which offers Indian and Chinese food. The morning, a continental breakfast is available. Meals at Rs 40. edit
- Domino's Pizza, Tillai Nagar, near Reliance
- Hotel Femina, Williams Rd (near Central bus stand.), ☎ +91 431 241 4501. Restaurant inside the hotel of the same name. edit
- Sangeetha, Racquet Court Ln. Vegetarian restaurant of the Hotel Aanand. edit
- Banana Leaf. Non-vegetarian restaurant.
- Breeze. Non-vegetarian restaurant.
- Vijay food court, Manghalam towers, Cantonment, (above Reliance hyper mart, near Lyyapan temple,). Baskin Robins, Noodle King, Tandoor Express, Adayar shree bhavan, El bustan, Royal feast, Chennai Fried Chicken, Pizza Corner.
- Kannapa Chettinad restaurant, Mannarpuram,Tillainagar. Non-vegetarian restaurant. Here you get high class chettinad food with a traditional taste.
- Kulathur Briyani hotel, (a little away from city on Dindugal Rd). Non-vegetarian restaurant. Famous for Sunday afternoon briyanies with good taste.
- Grand Gardenia, 22-25, Mannarpuram Junction, ☎ +91 431 404 5000 (email@example.com), . 11:30AM-3PM, 7PM-10:30PM, 'tea times' are separate. Multicuisine restaurant edit
- Birmanda Sarbat Stall, Palakarai Main Rd (4 km from Central Bus Stand, bus#1 will take you there for Rs 2). Serves sarbat, an ayurvedic nanari juice. In the city for more than 3 decades. edit
- L.R.sarbath, 17/A Big kammala st., (6 km from Central Bus Stand). Sells sarbat, an ayurvedic nanari juice. In the city for more than 50 years. edit
- Hotel Arun, State Bank Rd, ☎ +91 431 241 5021. A/C and non-A/C rooms. From Rs 400. edit
- Hotel Meega, 3 Rockins Rd (opposite Central Bus Stand), ☎ +91 431 241 4092. checkin: 24 hr. Clean hotel with TV in every room. No hot water is available. Rs 650 for A/C rooms. edit
- Hotel Anand, Racquet Court Ln, ☎ +91 431 2415545. From Rs 500. edit
- Sri Saraswathi Lodge, # 27, Rockins Rd (opposite Railway Junction), ☎ +91 431 400 2000. +91 431 241 0022, . checkin: 24 hr. Newly renovated, cableTV in all rooms, running cold and hot water. Travel desk assistance and hygienic veg restaurant at the ground floor. From Rs 240 for regular Rooms and Rs 700 for A/C rooms. edit
- Jenny's Residency, McDonald's Rd, ☎ +91 431 246 1301. edit
- Femina Hotel, Williams Rd, ☎ +91 431 241 4501. edit
- Grand Gardenia, 22-25, Mannarpuram Junction, ☎ +91 431 404 5000, . checkin: 24 hr; checkout: 24 hr. US$75. edit
- Sahaja yoga Meditation , ER Matriculation School (near Chatram Bus Stand), Trichy on every sunday 6PM.
- CSI Mission Hospital , Woriur
- Mukkombu (14 kms from Rock Fort Temple) ideal place for relaxing and taking bath at the banks of Cauvery river.
- Kallanai (15 kms from Rock Fort Temple) rejuvenates your mind on seeing the Cauvery river water.