Yichang (宜昌; Yíchāng) is a city in Hubei Province.
Yichang, Yangtze river view.
The population of Yichang is around 4 million. However, the city itself contains an estimated 1 and a half million, with over half the population in the outside areas. The city is located just below the Three Gorges around 30 km downstream of the dam. It used to be the gateway to the upper Yangze and an important post in the Sino-Japanese war, though not much of those times is visible anymore. Nowadays the city is known as the ending point of the Three Gorges river cruising trip and is less often used for a trip upstream.
There is an airport-Three Gorges Airport in Yichang, located 40min driving out of the city. There are flights going to/from Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Wuhan, Xi'an, etc. Taxi prices to the airport vary from 60-80, there is also a bus going out there, find out in city when and from where it leaves.The airport shuttle buses run from the time when the first flight comes and stop till the last flight leaves. Its terminal is Qingjiang Hotel of Yichang City, which is about 40 kilometers away from the airport. It takes around 50 minutes to get there from the airport with the ticket price of 20 Yuan. It stops at bus stations and wharfs on the way. The airport shuttle buses run from the time when the first flight comes and stop till the last flight leaves.
Yichang can easily be reached by bus. There is a main bus station, where there are buses from/to main cities in China. There are further bus stations at the docks where the river cruises end/start.
Train is also a very easy way to get to Yichang. The old, train station is in the city centre. Many trains now, however, stop at Yichang East station that is about 10km from the city station. You can take bus 1 further into the town and then change to bus 23 (these routes should parallel for a while) and then ride to its terminus (Yemingzhu) from which a non-city bus (number 8) goes to the three gorges dam.
Many people get in by boat. Most boats arrive around 1-1.30pm at the docks from where it is possible to catch a bus to Wuhan the same night which for most people might be the most interesting option of getting out. There are also many Yangtze Cruises sailing on the Yangtze River between Chongqing and Yichang (see Do Section).
The buses within Yichang generally cost ¥2. At present (July 2016) the entire system is being overhauled and is a bit of a mess. There are 3 different types of bus: B, K and minibuses. B buses theoretically have at least one interchange with the new BRT special bus lane, which runs from Yichang East Station to the CBD via Dongzhan Avenue. K buses are city buses which do not have interchanges with the BRT (although the letter K is omitted from bus stop timetables) and any others are minibuses. The BRT stations are very visible and each display a map (a luxury for bus routes in China) by the entrance, however some routes (e.g. B34 and B100) bear no resemblance to the routes displayed on the map, some buses do not stop at certain stations even if marked on the map and all the routes end short of the north/west terminus. Do not use Google Maps to attempt to use the bus routes, as all of the information predates the current lettering system. If you want to go to the Three Visitors Cave take bus 10 leaving at the main Square (hourly or half hourly). A taxi ride out there is ¥10-20.
Taxi fares begin at ¥6 and then increase in small amounts over time and distance. Taxis may or may not use the meter, if you stay in the downtown limits, rides should not exceed ¥10.
- Three Gorges Dam (三峡大坝). The largest dam in the world. From Yichang take the number 8 bus from the Yemingzhu bus station. 30 minutes later you will arrive at the tourist center. The ticket costs ¥130. There are shuttles ready to take tourists from there to Taiziling park which has various viewing platforms of the dam and the lake. Here you can see ships move through the locks. Your ticket will also allow you to get back on the shuttle bus which takes you across the Yangtze River and view the dam from the other side. Good for a 4 hour visit. edit
- Three Visitors Cave and Park (三游洞风景区), (On a peninsula outside the city). The Cave contains some poetry engraved in stone, not very big though but has a nice little story to it. The surrounding park has a view of the Yangze River as well as some old military defense walls, Sino-Japanese war memorial stones, river viewing pavillion and some ancient city remains. The walk around the park has lots of steps and is pretty decent, good relaxing spot. ¥48. edit
- Three Gorges Village (三峡村), (On the edge of the Xiling gorge, about 20km west of Yichang downtown, bus 10-1 will take you there in about 30 minutes). Has an amazing view of the river. The theme park style site features ancient Yangtze tracker's remind, a natural karst cave like an under-earth palace. This site is very popular among Chinese, but very few Western travelers know this place. A day tour will cover all interesting sites at this area. It is suggested that you leave in the morning. ¥120. edit
- Yuquan Temple (玉泉寺). Yuquan Yangcheng is 15 km west of the eastern foot, was founded in the late Eastern Han ago l700 years of history, is the oldest monasteries of Buddhism in China. edit
- ChangBanPo (长坂坡). The changban is located in the city of jade Town, is China's most famous three-country ancient battlefield. According to legend," Three Kingdoms", meaning Jinping plant know heroes" annals of the Three Kingdoms" records Zhao Yun, Cao Cao Zhang war story took place here. Ming Wanli, official confirmation changban slope for the Eastern Han Dynasty Changshan grace vs Cao Jun ancient battlefield. edit
Yangtze River Cuises
There are many luxury Yangtze cruises sailing between Yichang and Chongqing lasting three nights downstream and four nights upstream. The cruise fare usually includes shore excursions (Fengdu, Shennong Stream/Lesser Three Gorges, Three Gorges Dam) and all meals on-board the ship except the dinner of the check-in day.
- Dragon Cruisers, ☎ +86 717 8860467, . Each ship has weekly departures from each of Yichang and Chongqing from mid March to mid November. Operates Emperor, Dragon, Three Kingdoms and Serenity, which are all five star ships. Includes shore excursions at Fengdu Ghost City, White Shennong Stream (only downstream), Lesser Three Gorges (only upstream), Three Gorges Dam as well as on board entertainment. edit
- Orient Royal Cruise (东方皇家旅游船; Dōngfānghuángjiā Lǚyóuchuán), . Operates East King and Yangzi Explorer. Rates at homepage start at $760 for East King (plus $70 for shore excursions) and $1,400 for Yangzi Explorer. edit
- Regal China Cruises (中国皇家公主号; Zhōngguó Huángjiāgōngzhǔhào). edit
- Bungie Jump, Besides the Three Visitors Cave (Xialaoxi Bridge). You can bungie jump near the Three Visitors Cave, though not recommended as the construction looks really old and badly maintained. edit
- Yiling Square. The center of Yichang, a Greenland covers 55,200 square meters. You can shop around this area. edit
- International Trade Building (Guomao), (In walking distance to the railway station). A 6-floor department store. On the first floor there is a huge super market, you can buy wine, food, and daily use stuff. edit
- Beishan Convenience Store. Yichang's 7/11 store. There is a lot of branches downtown, including one at Erma Road which is open 24 hours a day. edit
- YiDou (Yidou Youth Hostel), 50 FuSui road (Across from NanHu Hotel), ☎ 8607176225733. Clean hostel with nice amenities, nice front desk service as well! 50-150RMB. edit
- Yichang Hotel (yichang fandian), Dongshan Dadao. Nice 3 star Hotel, a walk away from downtown, train and bus stations. ¥288, discounts ¥198. edit
- Wonhow Motel, (Opposite the long distance bus station), ☎ +86-717-8867888. checkout: 12 noon. New clean hotel. Staff speak a little English. Free internet access in rooms. Breakfast is included in the price. Double ¥198. edit
- Luck 7 Business Inn, (Near the main railway station; 29 Lvluo road, Xiting area, Yichang), ☎ 400-8870-377, . checkout: 14:00. Brand new and very clean hotel. High-speed internet in all rooms. Staff speaks a little English. Free internet access in rooms. Rooms from around 130 to 200 ¥. edit
- Super 8, 166 Yiling Ave (5 minute walk away from Wanda Plaza, and 2 km away from the railway station), ☎ +86-717-8865666, . checkout: 12:00. Free Breakfast. Internet access in rooms. Domestic direct dial telephone, IPTV digital cable TV, self service laundry and drying machines. $24. edit
- Orange Hotel (Xiaoxita) (宜昌丽橙酒店（小溪塔店）), 2 Luohe Road (Luohe Lu), . The Orange Hotel (Xiaoxita) (Yichang Licheng Jiudian Xiaoxita Dian) is a budget chain hotel located on Luohe Road, only 15 minutes' drive from Yichang Railway Station. Rooms in this Yichang hotel are fashionably designed and furnished. Each room is complete with digital TV, domestic direct-dial phone and free broadband internet access. Business travelers can choose smart rooms equipped with LCD computers. edit
You can leave Yichang by bus, train, air and cruise.