Teignmouth is a coastal town in South Devon. It is situated on the north bank of the estuary mouth of the River Teign in an area of the South Devon coast that is famed for its red sandstone cliffs. It has a population of approx 14,000.
In 1690, it was the last place in England to be invaded by a foreign power, when a contingent of the French fleet anchored of Torbay attacked the town. The town grew from a fishing port associated with the Newfoundland cod industry to a fashionable resort of some note in Georgian times, with further expansion after the opening of the South Devon Railway in 1846.
Today, its port still operates and the town remains a popular seaside holiday location.
Every summer it hosts a folk festival , Jazz festival  and Carnival .
Teignmouth has a train station located near the centre of town on the line from London Paddington to Penzance in Cornwall. It is served by Crosscountry and First Great Western trains. The journey from Exeter is famous for its beauty as it hugs the red sandstone cliffs with great views out to open sea. It is worth getting the train to Exeter just for the journey. Teignmouth is also just 15 miles from Exeter International Airport  which has scheduled flights to many destinations in the UK and Europe.
There are regular services between Teignmouth and Torquay, Paignton, Newton Abbot, Dawlish, Dawlish Warren and Exeter.
- From the North there is the B3192 which is off the A380 (Telegraph Hill) which is a winding route going through the mostly forested areas. These are particularly colourful in the Autumn.
- From the East the A370 from Exeter takes a longer and more scenic route along the Exe estuary going through Kenton, Starcross and Dawlish.
- From the West the A381, again off the A380, at Kingsteington has some panoramic views up the Teign Estuary towards Teignmouth itself.
- From the South the B3199 from Torquay via Shaldon (which is situated on the opposite bank of the Teign estuary overlooking Teignmouth).
Due to traffic congestion in Teignmouth, especially on Bank Holidays, it is often easiar to use the train to visit. Especially if living or staying locally.
National Express offer one daily departure to Heathrow Airport and London Victoria Coach Station. A daily departure to Bristol and Birmingham also exists. These services operate from Eastcliffe Road Coach Park. Tickets MUST be booked in advance.
Stagecoach South West offer frequent links to and from Exeter and Newton Abbot (Service 2) and Torquay, Paignton and Dawlish Warren (Service 22). The journeys between Teignmouth and Torquay and Teignmouth and Newton Abbot are particularly scenic. These services operate to and from the town centre.
a ferry runs between Teignmouth and Shaldon, apparantly England's oldest passenger ferry. Departures at various times depending on the light and the season. Ferry
Most of Teignmouth town centre is flat and so can easily be reached by foot, although town bus services do exist, operated by Country Bus (number 80, 81 and 83) Taxis can be found near the train station.
Taxis can be obtained from a rank on Station Road at most times of the day. Alternatively they can be booked from the following local companies:
Alpha Taxis 01626 773 030
Bryans Taxis 01626 776 011
The sandy beach and promenade stretch the entire length of the town. The beach is lifeguarded in the summer season. Teignmouth beach
There is a new childrens play area and mini golf on the grass area by the beach front called 'The Den'. Events and concerts are also held here at various times throughout the year.
- Teignmouth Museum and Teign Heritage Centre, 29 French Street, ☎ +44 1626 777041, . Museum showing history of Teignmouth and Shaldon. Check website for opening times as these vary depending upon the time of year. edit
The south west coast path, which passes through the town, is a great way to see the coast in this part of Devon. Part of the coast path runs from Teignmouth along the seafront towards Dawlish, offering both excellent coastal views and a close up view of the main railway line. It is worth noting that this path has no guard rail, so caution is needed, and it can be impassible when the weather is bad. An alternative, signposted route is available in these circumstances.
- Pavilions Teignmouth, The Den Cresent, TQ14 8BG, ☎ "+44. Theatre, Cinema, Arts Centre, bar and cafe with outside terrace. The tourist information centre is also located here. edit website
- Teignmouth Lido, Eastcliff Walk, TQ14 8TA, ☎ +44 1626 779063. Outside heated swimming pool. Located at the seafront. Qualified lifeguards on duty at all times. Children under 4 go free. Reduced rates after 2pm. Adult £4.00, Children £2.50. edit
- Teignmouth Golf Club, Haldon Moor, TQ14 9NY, ☎ 44 1626 777070, . edit
- Fishing - There is some excellent sea fishing to be had from Teignmouth, indeed it is famed for its flounder fishing. There is also a chance of bass, mackeral and there is some good game fishing to be had with both salmon and seatrout running up the river Teign.
- Teignmouth Grand Pier, Promenade, TQ14 8BB, ☎ "+44. Historical pier offering amusement arcade and rides. website edit
- Teignmouth Activity Trail, ", ☎ ". Mile long walk along the sea front, showing various points of interest.website edit
- The Den Playpark, Promenade, TQ14 8BB, ☎ “, . Excellent play park facility featuring adventure golf course, wet play area and multi use games area. Food kiosks are also available. See website for openting times as these vary depending on the time of year edit
- Teignmouth Local Produce Market, The Triangle TQ14 8AU, ☎ "”, . Market offering fresh local produce, held on the last Saturday of every month between 1000 and 1400.Teignmouth Local Produce Market edit
There are a selection of both independent shops, art galleries and national chains located in The Triangle and also on Waterloo Street, Bank Street, Somerset Place and Teign Street. The area around Northumberland Place is referred to as Teignmouth's Arts Quarter, due to the number of studios and galleries here.
Waitrose have a supermarket in Teignmouth Town Centre, which also has a small cafe attached. there is also a large Co-op on Bank Street and a Morrisons on Newfouldland Road, just off the main road to Newton Abbot on the outskirts of Teignmouth.
- Voyage Fair Trade, 11 Northumberland Place (Next to the Arts Quarter Car Park), ☎ 07950450754, . The first and only independent fair trade shop selling unique gifts edit
- Nautilus Seafood Restaurant, Nautilus Seafood Restaurant 34 Brunswick Street TQ14 8AF, ☎ +44 1626 776 999. Lunch Wednesday to Saturday 12.00 to 14.00, Dinner Tuesday to Sat from 18.30. Try the tapas. edit
- The Owl and Pussycat, 3 Teign Street, TQ14 8EA, ☎ +44 1626 775321, . Monday to Friday Lunch: 10.00 - 14.30 Dinner: 18.00 - 21.30 Saturday Lunch: 10.00 - 14.30 Dinner: 18.00 - 22.00 Sunday Bookings essential Lunch: Noon - 15.00 Dinner: 18.00 - 21.30. Courtyard garden. edit
- Naz Indian Cuisine, 9 Somerset Place, TQ14 8EN, ☎ +44 1626 774 786. Excellent Indian Restaurant edit
- Sea View Diner, 32 Regent Street, TQ14 8SJ, ☎ +44 1626 777 888. low cost diner offering a wide selection of meals. Open between 0800 and 1800 daily edit
- The Jolie Brise, 9-15 Station Road, TQ14 8PE, ☎ +44 1626 778 853. Large J.D Weatherspoon chain pub, offering reasonably priced food and drink. Open 0800 until 2400 daily. The Jolie Brise edit
- The Riviera Bar, Den Cresent, TQ14 8BQ, ☎ +44 1626 879 614. Bar and cafe located in the old cinema building on teignmouth seafront. Offers excellent views from the upper terrace and also regular comedy nights. riviera bar edit
- The Beachcomber Cafe, Sea Front, TQ14 8SZ, ☎ +44 1626 778 909. Cafe located on Teignmouth Seafront, offering views out to sea and outdoor seating. Beachcomber Cafe edit
- Bronx Bar, 10 Regent Street, TQ14 8SJ, ☎ +44 1626 777 909. American themed bar and Modern American Bar-be-que restaurant. Bronx Bar edit
- The Colosseum, 15 Regent Street, TQ14 8SJ, ☎ +44 1626 870 000. Italian Restaurant, Open 1630 - 2130 Monday to Saturday. Booking essential. Colosseum edit
- Fresco, 40 Northumberland Place, TQ14 8BU, ☎ +44 1626 777 181. Italian restaurant, open Wednesday to Sunday 1800 - 2300. Booking essential. Fresco edit
- Hung Le, 13 Teign Street, TQ14 8EG, ☎ +44 1626 773 495. Chinese Takeaway, open daily 1200 until 1400 and from 1700 until 2330 Sunday to Thursday and 1700 until 2400 on Friday and Saturday edit
- Oystercatchers Cafe, 12 Northumberland Place, TQ14 8DD, ☎ +44 1626 774 652. excellent cafe in Teignmouth's Arts Qurter, which sometimes hosts blues nights. Details available on the cafe facebook page. edit
- Twenty Six Cafe, 26 Regent Street, TQ14 8SJ, ☎ +44 1626 879 000. French themed cafe and bistro, for details see /Website edit
- Whistlestop Cafe, Teignmouth Railway Station, TQ14 8PG, ☎ +44 1626 777 835. Cafe serving full English breakfasts and other meals, also newspapers. It has a departure board for the station inside. Also holds regular bike nights. See the cafe facebook page for details edit
National chains, such as Costa Coffee and Subway have branches in Bank Street and Wellington Street.
- Ship Inn, Queen St, Back Beach, Teignmouth TQ14 8BY. Good pub looking over the back beach. Outside seating. Great to see the sunset. Serves food. edit
- Brass Monkey, Hollands Road, TQ14 8SR, ☎ +44 1626 773961. edit
- The Kings Arms, French Street, TQ14 8ST, ☎ +44 1626 775 268. Good pub, offers live music and \or disco on certain nights. Also serves food. edit
- The New Quay Inn, New Quay Street, TQ14 8DA, ☎ +44 1626 774 145. Pub overlooking the back beach, with views over the teign estury and Shaldon Bridge. It is possible to sit at tables on the beach itself when the weather is kind. Offers food and regular live music. New Quay Inn edit
- Ye Olde Jolly Sailor, 46 Northumberland Place, TQ14 8DE, ☎ +44 1626 772 864. reputed to be the oldest pub in Teignmouth, offers food, a regular pub quiz and a jazz night Ye Olde Jolly Sailor edit
- The Blue Anchor, Teign Street, TQ14 8EG, ☎ +44 1626 772 741. Real ale pub, serves 6 regularly changing beers and ciders edit
- King William IV, 19 Northumberland Place, TQ14 8BZ, ☎ +44 1626 879 186. Sports and music bar. edit
- Cellars Bar, The Promenade, TQ14 8SY, ☎ +44 1626 775 036. Offering live music, sports and food. edit
- Dicey Reillys, 24 Regent Street, TQ14 8SX, ☎ +44 1626 776 677. Irish Pub, lively in the evenings, open until late on Friday and Saturday night. edit
- The Courtnay, Courtnay Place, TQ14 8AY, ☎ +44 1626 772 348. edit
- Devon Arms Hotel, Northumberland Place, TQ14 8DE, ☎ +44. Quiet pub, Beer Garden. Devon Arms Hotel edit
There are no chain hotels in Teignmouth, the nearest Premier Inn is in nearby Newton Abbot.
- The Sail Loft, 6 St James' Mews, Exeter Street TQ14 8JB, ☎ +44 117 924 7371, . 4 star modern holiday home which sleeps 6 people. Car port and Garage edit
- The Bay Hotel, 15 Powderham Terrace, TQ14 8BL, ☎ +44 1626 774 123, . 17 Bedrooms edit
- Devon Arms Hotel, Northumberland Place, TQ14 8DE, ☎ +44 1626 774 400. Affordable B&B, not en-suite. edit
- Old Salty House, 21 Northumberland Place, TQ14 8BZ, ☎ +44. Centrally located B&B. Also available as a self catering property. edit
- Seaway Guest House, 27 Northumberland Place, TQ14 8BU, ☎ +44 1626 879 024. Cosy rooms with en suite bathrooms. edit
- Dresden House, 26 Orchard Gardens, TQ14 8DJ, ☎ +44 1626 773 465. Popular, centrally located B&B. edit
- Lynton House Hotel, 7 Powderham Terrace, TQ14 8BL, ☎ +44 1626 774 349. Seafront hotel with en suite rooms, and bar. edit
- Brunswick House, 5 Brunswick Street, TQ14 8AE, ☎ +44 1626 774 102. edit
- The Thornhill, Mere Lane, TQ14 8TA, ☎ +44 1626 773 640. Sea front B&B with 10 rooms. The Thornhill edit
- Victoria and Redcliffe Holiday Apartments, Courtenay Place, TQ14 8AY, ☎ +44 1626 774 479. Seafront self catering apartments Victoria and Redcliffs edit
- Southerley Holiday Apartments, 25 Northumberland Place, TQ14 8BZ ("), ☎ +44 1626 770 978. Self catering holiday apartments Southerly Holiday Apartments edit
Exeter University and Exeter College are a 30 minute train journey from Teignmouth. There are also direct bus services from Teignmouth to South Devon College.
Teignbridge council 
RNLI Teignmouth Lifeboat 
Teignmouth Harbour Commission