Taunton is the County Town of Somerset, a County in the South-West of England.
By road, leave the M5 motorway at exit 25. Taunton has a railway station on the main line from London Paddington (typical journey time 2h 05) to Exeter (25 minutes), Plymouth (1h 30), and Penzance (3h 40). Bristol is 35 minutes away by rail. The nearest airports are at Bristol, to the north-west and Exeter, to the south-west, both about 35 miles away.
Traffic in Taunton is awful. A park and ride service has been added recently (The Taunton Flyer), see National Park and Ride Directory providing transport between the town centre and a large car park at Silk Mills.
Arguably the best options are to walk or take a bus. However, the bus and railway stations are a good 15 minutes' walk apart!
Buses are frequent during the week, but evenings and Sundays are very limited. Buses operated by Firstbus - They are expensive - All day ticket for town travel purchased in peak time is £3.40 (correct at 01/05/06). Buses link to Wellington, Bridgwater, Yeovil, Exeter, and Chard.
- First Great Western operate direct trains to London Paddington and to Worcester and Great Malvern.
- Virgin Trains operate services from Taunton to Birmingham, Leeds, York, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Preston, and Glasgow.
- Both companies run direct trains to Bristol and Cheltenham Spa, Exeter, Paignton, Plymouth, and Penzance.
- For train times, see National Rail Enquiries.
- Somerset County Museum, Castle Green. Tel: 01823 320200, mailto:email@example.com, . Open: Tu-Sa and Bank Holiday M 10AM-5PM. Closed: Christmas Day, Boxing Day, 27th Dec and 28th Dec, New Year's Day and Good Friday.
- Brewhouse Theatre Coal Orchard. Profesional and Community Theatre. 01823 283244
- Castle Hotel, tel +44 1823 272671, . Has a national reputation for cooking excellence, although the prices and formality reflect its notoriety.
All of the major fast food chains are represented, including two branches of both Subway and McDonalds. The town also boasts a range of coffee shops, including the major chains Starbucks, Costa and Caffe Nero.
- Brazz (separate restaurant attached to the Castle Hotel)
- Jenny @ Tristrams (East Reach)
- The Old Bear (Near Police Station)
- Malt and Hops (Pub with good food - Tancred St)
- Uddins (East Reach - Several Awards for its Currys)
- Castle Hotel, Castle Green, . rooms from £115
- Corner House Hotel, 4 Wellington Rd, +44 1823 284683, . rooms from £58.
- Holiday Inn Taunton, Deane Gate Avenue, +44 870 400 9080.
- Crowcombe YHA, 10 miles from Taunton. £10.60 adult, £7.20 under 18, 
- Blorenge House (Blorenge House), 57-59 Staplegrove Road, ☎ +44 1823 283005, . checkin: 12pm; checkout: 10:30am. Blorenge House offers delightful 4 star accommodation in the heart of Taunton. Conveniently situated within a five minute walk from Taunton town centre, the residence is also in close proximity to the railway station, Somerset County Cricket Club and Taunton School. Set in its own grounds, the property includes an outdoor swimming that guests can use exclusively during the summer months. There is also ample car parking at the front of the building; and superfast, fibre-optic can be accessed anywhere on the premises. Blorenge House is also home to two bedroom holiday apartments which are ideal for that overdue family getaway. Whether you are looking from overnight accommodation on business, or you are looking for an extended stay, Blorenge House is the ideal place to stay on your visit to Taunton. From £48. edit
- West Somerset Railway, run by volunteers. Recapture the age of steam.