Tarija is a city in the Tarija Department of Bolivia.
By plane, Aerocon  operates daily flights between Tarija and Santa Cruz de la Sierra.
By Bus, there are direct connections from most cities including Villazon, La Paz (18 hours, 100 Bs), Sucre (10 hours, 140 Bs) and Santa Cruz (14 hours, 90 Bs.)from tupiza (7hours,50Bs)leave at 7.30pm and 8.30pm
From Argentina, it is possible to take a bus or hire a colectivo (shared taxi) at the bus station from the Bolivian border town of Bermejo. If you have crossed by small ferry from Aguas Blancas and there is no Bolivian immigration officer to stamp you in on the Bolivian side of the river or at the bus station, take a taxi or instruct the colectivo driver to take you to the immigration office at the bridge.
- Hop-on micros, many lines, ask the locals or watch the windscreen for routes & destinations; ride within city limits Bs 1.50. Some go further afield (e.g. San Lorenzo, San Jacinto).
- Trufis and colectivos go to El Valle de la Concepción from the stand at Calle Corrado (btwn. Trigo & Campero) - Bs 10 per person.
- Short rides in taxis cost Bs 3.50 per person.
- El Castillo Azul, (Bolívar @ LaPaz). Strange white and blue striped house in the gabled style of a castle. Old governor's house. edit
- Casa Dorado, (Ingavi @ Gral Trigo). Guided Tours at 9, 10, 11am and 3,4, 5pm Mon- Fri and 9,10, 11am Sat, closed Sunday. Partially restored mansion from turn of the 20th century. Visited by guided tours only, apparently only in Spanish. Beautiful and interesting interior to see how the rich folks lived in Tarija. 5Bs. edit
For visit to both Sama national park and Tariquia national park you need permission (free) from the Serdap at Av Jaime Paz Zamor 1161 ( across the bus terminal ) . Formalities for sama is only registration of details; bring a photocopy of your passport. Tariquia is more difficult, depending on weather and reason of stay.
- wine tour, Calle madrid and calle sucre. tours leave twice a day for the half days to visiting some winery you can buy can buy your ticket at the gattopardo pub for 100Bs edit
- Condor trek, Calle Virginio Lema, entre Mendez y Suipacha, . A local NGO created this program to develop tourism in rural areas. Fabulous treks and best sight seeing of the condor you can dream of. edit
- Gattopardo, Plaza Luis de Fuentes (main plaza). Smart restaurant, very popular with local middle class, parillada, good pizzas, salads, salteñas, good selection of local wines; try the fillet steak finished rare or "a la Inglés" (Bs 40 or US$5.5) - heaven! edit
- Pastelería Yenny (pronounced Jenny), Av. 15 de Abril (btwn. main plaza & D. Campos). Great cakes and real coffee, welcoming staff; definitely try "torta de tres leches y nuez". edit
- Cafe Show, Sucre (corner Del Carpio). Simple, reliable budget option. Set lunch (starter, soup, main course and dessert) for 10Bs, limonada to drink. Also sells cakes and empanadas. Just don't expect coffee here. edit
- El Molino, Calla la Madrid O-0803, near Ramon Rojas. Vegetarian 'comedor' for lunch until 14:00. Set menu includes soup, main course and salad bar for 15 bolivianos. Come around 12:00 to eat with the locals. (March 26th 2012 - seems to be operating at a different location nearby on Ingavi O-550) edit
- Nature Center. Vegetarian food set menu for 14 bs, on the block of Gral Trigo 800, upstairs at the sign. Lunch only. edit
- Kieres Empanadas. A clean place in the city centre with tasty empanadas and jugos edit
- Cafe Mokka, Plaza Sucre (Ave 15 de Abril). Great coffee and cakes, also fairly good speed free WiFi edit
- Nougat, (General Trigo @ 15 de Abril). 9 am - 11 pm. Pretty cafe, nice decor, like most of S America, the milkshakes are mostly milk.Slow wifi, waitress unwilling to fix order when she got it wrong. Fair prices. edit
- XOXO, (Sucre @ 15 de Abril). Americana-decorated diner-esque bar with a solid burger (29 Bs.) as well. Marilyn Monroe & Elvis Presley plaster the walls. One TV for watching sports. Split level seating. Quick wifi. Yummy cocktails at good prices and out of this world milkshakes. Fair prices. edit
- La Bifurcada, (Daniel Campos @ 15 de Abril). Fun, alternative drinking establishment for Tarija's hipsters. Reputably Tarija's gay bar in the sense that anything goes here as the people are nonjudgemental. 25Bs beer. edit
- Blue Parrot, (Campero @ Av Victor Paz Estennserro). Hip night club to dance and be seem. Get there by midnight to avoid a line. 30Bs entry, nightclub high drink prices. edit
- Hostal Bolivar, Bolivar (on Bolivar and Sulpacha). checkin: -; checkout: 12 noon. Great budget hostel, very clean with friendly staff, simple breakfast included. 100-120 Bs. edit
- Hostal Miraflores, Sucre N-920. Close to the plaza and mercado central. Nice courtyard, wifi works sometimes, shared bathrroms pretty rough, bring toilet paper. Double bedrooms with private bedroom and television 130 Bs. Breakfast included. 50Bs per person in room with shared bath, 5Bs extra for breakfast of one roll plus drink. edit
- Residencial Guadalquivir, (left of terminal de autobuses (on Ángel Calavi)). checkout: 12:00. Cheapest hostel I could find, a little noisy due to the bus terminal across the street, but acceptable and clean. 20 minute walk from main plaza. No wifi. 1 bed in 2 bed room - 40 Bs.. edit
- Hostal Estrella, (Sucre @ 15 de Abril). Nice pace in an old building shared with Club Social de Tarija. Comfortable beds, creaky floorboards, and a nice outdoor balcony overlooking the main plaza. 2 br room = 180 Bs.. edit
- Casa Blanca Hostel, Ingavi #645 entre Ballivian y J. M. Saracho. Newly-opened backpackers' hostel. Small and cosy, terrace with hammocks and breakfast for 10 Bs. Also have a small bakery/pastelería on site. Run by young locals, knowledgable and friendly. 70 Bolivianos. edit
- V.H backpackers, Calle ingavi. is really shity hostel and quiet expensive to share a room with two others people, for this price nothing it s included even the toilet paper is not !!for the same price go directly to el rosario. 50Bs. edit
- Residencial Rosario, (Ingavi, one block away from Casa Blanca Hostel). Nice and clean residencial. with free wifi. A 2 bed room - 90 Bs.. edit
Internet cafes and centros de llamadas (call centres) everywhere; expect modem- rather than broadband-like speed. Some places allow you to hook up with your own laptop, e.g. two shops in the plaza principal (opposite Bufalo).