Taradale is a town in the Hawkes Bay region on the east coast of New Zealand's North Island. It's about 10 kilometres southwest of the city of Napier and is also known as the Taradale and Greenmeadows area. It's the home of some of Hawke's Bay's finest vineyards.
Taradale had a population of about 16,599 in the 2006 Census. It's a 10 minute drive from the tourist destination of Napier City and with over a third of Napier district’s population, is one of the most important areas in the region, with one of the highest socio-economic demographic profiles in the Hawke's Bay. Many of Taradale's residents commute to Napier or Hastings CBD and prefer rural or suburban life as opposed to the city life of Napier.
The town itself is a prosperous, established community nestled against the Taradale hills in an area rich in wine heritage dating back as far as the 1850s. Two of the most famous vineyards in Hawkes Bay, Mission Estate and Church Rd, are located in the area and together attract over 300,000 tourists annually.
- From Napier: Prebensen Drive, Kennedy Road , Meeanee Road, Taradale Road,
- From Hastings: State Highway 50 or Napier-Hastings Expressway 50A.
Driving or biking are the best options although, because of its compact nature, walking is also an option.
Taradale is the location of some of the region’s oldest established wineries'
- Mission Estate Winery in Church Road is one of New Zealand’s oldest winemaking concerns and has become a very significant tourist attraction. Today the Mission Estate Wineries Mount St.Mary Seminary building has recently been completely refurbished to accommodate a first class restaurant and function rooms. The Mission is a favourite venue for weddings. The now well known “Mission Concert” has been held every February for many years and has become an event not to be missed.
- Church Road Winery (formally known as McDonalds Winery) founded in 1897 by Bartholemew Steinmetz, a lay brother from the Marist Mission, this winery is one of the oldest in Hawke's Bay. Some of its most illustrious years were spent under the leadership of pioneer winemaker, Tom McDonald, now widely acknowledged as the father of New Zealand's premium red wine industry. The winery buildings have in recent years been refurbished and include a restaurant and function room together with a Wine Museum housed under ground, traces the history and techniques of winemaking.
- Moana Park WineryMoana Park is a small family owned boutique winery situated 5km from Taradale in the western hills of Hawke's Bay. Drawing fruit from both the Gimblett Gravels appelation and the Dartmoor Valley, where specific wine styles are selected each vintage and hand crafted to explosively represent their vineyard origin and the oversized passion of our viticultural and winemaking teams. They offer wines such as the best Viognier in the World, rated by Decanter to multi award winning Merlot and devine Chardonnay.
- Other wineries near the area include Brookfield's Vineyards Hawke's Bay's Oldest Boutique Winery, Dobel Estate situated on the banks of the Tutaekuri River and Tironui Estate nestled just below Sugarloaf Peak.
- Silky Oak Chocolate Factory, 1131 Links Road. The Silky Oak Chocolate Company is a family owned business which was founded in January 2000, With the Gift, Wedding, Easter, Special Occasions and everyday chocolate lines available, The Silky Oak Chocolate Company continues introducing new and exciting varieties as and when perfected to its growing selection of chocolate delicacies.
- Taradale Clock Tower (War Memorial). The Taradale clock tower was built in 1923 as a Taradale and District World War 1 Memorial. The tower is situated where several roads converge and is a prominent landmark.
- Mc Donald's Art Deco Family Restaurant, previously the first hotel in Taradale.
- Sugar Loaf Reserve, The 127m hill known as Sugar Loaf or Pukekura dominates the Skyline of the western hills above Taradale and its distinctive shape can be seen from all over Taradale and parts of Napier. Eastern views from the summit cover the Napier-Taradale area and much of the Heretaunga Plains, while western views include the Ruahine and Kaweka Ranges. The track to the summit is steep especially from the Cumberland Rise entrance. The walk is graded moderate to difficult. Care should be taken in wet conditions.
- Otatara pa, is the largest pa you can visit in New Zealand. The views from this site are outstanding. You can see Napier, across to Cape Kidnappers and out to the sea. It is possible on a clear day to see Ruapehu in the centre of the North Island. It’s no wonder that Otatara was the most prized pa in Hawke’s Bay and its ownership was so strongly contested. Otatara Pa is situated close to Taradale and is signposted clearly. Look out for the palisades on the hill above the Eastern Institute of Technology.
Taradale also has several large parks and reserves, Taradale Park and Centennial Park, Anderson Park, Dobel Reserve, Tareha Recreational Reserve.
Gloucester St, the main street and shopping area in the Town Centre, is located within 2km of the wineries and is perfectly situated to benefit from the regular influx of visitors generated by these wineries. It has many boutique and local stores.
- Greenmeadows New World Supermarket, 9 Gloucester St, ☎ +64 6 844-6240. M-Su 07:00-22:00. edit
- Four Square Taradale, Gloucester St. Upmarket Four Square edit
- The Duke of Gloucester, 389 Gloucester St, ☎ +64 6 835-8815. Lunch M-Su 12:00-14:00, Dinner M-Su 17:30-21:00. The restaurant's innovative menu utilises the best fresh meat, seafood and produce available which are in season. Starting from $6. edit
- Billy Burke's Steak House (Billy Burke's Irish Bar and Restaurant), 246 Gloucester St, Taradale, ☎ +64 6 844-2697. M-Sa. Licensed Restaurant & Irish Bar in Taradale edit
- Heavens Bakery Taradale, 297 Gloucester Street, ☎ +64 6 844-2816, . Daily. Heavens Bakery have won numerous awards starting with New Zealand Baker of the Year six times, the Great Kiwi Pie Competition and in 2002 the Hawkes Bay Business of the Year Award. edit
- Heavens Bakery Meeanee Road (Heavens Bakery), 11 Meeanee Road, ☎ 6468448470. M-Sun. edit
- Heavens Bakery Greenmeadows (Heavens Bakery Head Office), 6 Gloucester Street, ☎ 6468442401. edit
- Mission Estate Restaurant (Mission Estate Winery), 198 Church Road, Taradale, ☎ +64 6 845-9354. M-Sun. The upgraded seminary building provides a stunning location for the unique, award-winning Mission Restaurant. Exquisite cuisine is served from 10am daily, with the lunch menu and dinner menu changing regularly to reflect the seasonal influence. Nestled in the Taradale hills, diners at the Mission Estate Restaurant enjoy sweeping views of Napier city and the coast beyond. Beautiful by day and spectacular by night, the vista is unparalleled in Hawke’s Bay. The outdoor dining terrace is drenched in summer sun while the indoor restaurant spaces have been cleverly designed to provide intimate dining. edit
- Church Road Winery, 150 Church Road, ☎ 64 6 844 2053, . Over 100 years of winemaking. At the cellar door, open daily from 10am to 5pm (excluding most public holidays), you can taste and buy all Church Road wines, including the limited release Cuve Series and iconic TOM range. Special events over summer months in beautiful park-like grounds. Check back regularly for the latest news on what's on at Church Road. edit
- Thai Lotus Restaurant, 275 Gloucester Street, ☎ 6468442760. Lunch: Tue – Sat 11:00am – 2:00pm Dinner: Mon – Sun 5:30pm – 10:00pm. edit
- Subway Taradale, 480 Gloucester Street, ☎ 6468450585. M-Sun. edit
- Billy Burke's Irish Bar and Restaurant, 246 Gloucester St (Town Centre), ☎ 6468442697. M-S. Licensed Restaurant & Irish Bar in Taradale. edit
- Taradale Club, 55 Wharerangi Road, Taradale, ☎ 6468442088. M-Sun. Restaurant Taradale Club are specialist caterers and are available for weddings, conference, birthdays, special events, Christmas parties, group gatherings, etc. So come and enjoy yourselves in a fun and relaxing atmosphere. edit
There are a few hotels and several upmarket Bed and Breakfasts, but the majority can be found in the near by city of Napier.
- Ballina Motel, 393 Gloucester St, ☎ +64 6 845 0648 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +64 6 845 0649), . One of Hawke's Bay's newest luxury (4-star plus) motels. 16 self-contained, air-conditioned, spacious suites in a quiet residential location. Positioned midway between Napier (10min/8km) and Hastings (15min/14km) city centres. Stylish and comfortable studio, 1 and 2-bedroom suites. All smokefree. Access facilities. Kitchenette with microwave. Twin/queen/king-size beds. Double spa baths. Sky Digital TV (2nd TV in bedroom). Desk with free broadband internet access. Private sunny balconies. $110 - $300. edit
- Visit nearby Napier and the surrounding wineries near Taradale
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!