A very old temple city which has excellent scenic places around it also. The more apt thing would be to say that the every place in this region is scenic. Picturesque beaches and lush greenery around the city are really exemplary.Be ready for at least 3 to 4 days of stay to explore the whole area around this place.
It is located in the western ghats region of karnataka state. Some geographical facts about the city are as folows
- Around 350 kms from Bangalore, capital of karnataka.
- Along with Manipal, these are known as twin cities.
- Weather is almost similar throughout the year due to nearby Arab sagar. Temperature ranges from 30 degrees centigrade to 35 degrees centigrade in day time and around 10 degrees less during night.
- Humidity is generally high most of the time.
- During rainy season, april to september, monsoon shows its true colour in this area. Within seconds, it can soak you in kilo-litres on water.
Religious Places around Udupi
* Gomteshwar jain temple [50 kms from here] * Bahubali jain temple * Parshwanath jain temple with thousand pillars [80 kms from here] * 1000-2000 years old Shri Krishna Mutt in Udupi * Murudeshwar mahadev temple [150 kms]
* Kapu [30 kms]. Also houses a functional light house. * Murudeshwar beach [150 kms]. Shiva temple on beach and a fishing hub. * Gokarna Beach [250 kms towards Goa]
* Mangalore Airport[60 kms from Udupi] has connectivity with Mumbai and Bangalore.
* It is a major station on the konkan railway route. For more information regarding trains by visiting the IRCTC page or Indian Railways. * Connected with Mumbai, Mangalore, Chennai, Trichy etc. However, no direct connection between bangalore and this place.
* It is located right on a national highway connecting Mangalore with Mumbai. For a city-weary person, a journey on this highway will really lighten up the spirits. * Fron bangalore, you first need to come to mangalore via another national highway which mostly passes through zig-zag roads of hilly terrain. After that, take the same highway as mentioned earlier. * Different type of buses regularly plies from major southern cities to Udupi. You may chose from Volvo[AC buses], Airbuses or KSRTC buses depending on your budget.
 The temples of Udupi
After thinking about it, I have decided to remove most of the temple listings. Every village in DK has its temple, every temple is locally important and believers from outside the city may travel to visit them. But to add them to the city article, we need to decide that a particular temple has a large enough following, has an interesting history or architecture. Discuss before adding back.
There are various Devi temples around Udupi. They are
- Shri Janardana and Mahakali Temple, Ambalpady. edit
- Shri Mahishamardhini Temple, Kadiyali. edit
- Shri Panchadurgaparameshwari Temple, Indrali. edit
- Shri Jayadurgaparameshwari Temple, Kannarpady. edit
- Venkatarman Temple, Tenkapet (0.5 km south of Sri Krishna Math). The temple was established on 1896 by Sri Sri Varadendra Teertha Swamiji of Sri Kashi Mathn Samsthan, Varanasi. edit
Ravikiran 01:56, 22 May 2012 (EDT)