This page should be merged with Townsville and the page name changed to Townsville-Thuringowa. Townsville and Thuringowa would redirect to the Townsville-Thuringowa page. For the traveller there is no difference between Townsville and Thuringowa and the 'twin cities' should be treated similar to Albury-Wodonga and Kalgoorlie-Boulder. - Ctbolt 06:46, 14 March 2007 (EDT)
not a good idea to merge
The visitor experience is very different in Thuringowa and I feel that this page should be left here as Townsville has (for years) taken the credit for many of the great attractions that Thuringowa has to offer, and by merging the 2 together would again take away the independents of Thuringowa's tourist attractions.
Thuringowacityrep 22:28, 14 March 2007 (EDT)
- The visitor experience is very different in Thuringowa and the experance is not the same in both cities
- You can’t tell when you’re leaving Townsville and entering Thuringowa – the suburbs of Townsville don’t have the same experience - The Strand / Palmer St / city centre – but we don’t have separate pages for them.
- as Townsville has (for years) taken the credit for many of the great attractions that Thuringowa has to offer
- This is no reason to start confusing the traveller. If you want to raise the profile and promote Thuringowa, instead of going the whole hog with it’s own page, how about starting out with the twin cities title Townsville-Thuringowa. Few people outside of Queensland would know that Townsville was a ‘twin city’ so this would raise it’s profile better than separate pages - when they are looking for Townsville and the Townsville-Thuringowa title comes up they will be learning something.
- by merging the 2 together would again take away the independents of Thuringowa's tourist attractions
- Again I’d rather think of it from the travellers point of view. Eating, Staying, Drinking, Seeing etc are going to be the same for both – if there is a problem with the ownership, say it in the article. And in the section Understand explain what is going on with the twin cities.
- as it is 2 cities even though it looks like one
- I realise, according to the Local Government boundaries, that they are two different cities but to the traveller / tourist they are one – similar to the Albury-Wodonga, Kalgoorlie-Boulder situation.
- just linking the two would be a better thing
- Linking is do-able but we’d be doing the traveller a disservice. In my opinion there will be few people who would click on the Thuringowa link and so would miss out on the all the information on that page. However, when staying in ‘Townsville-Thuringowa’ they would want to do activities on both pages.
- it would get very messy trying to popint out this is in Townsville and this is in Thuringowa
- This is not a problem. Just say they’re in Townsville-Thuringowa if you must or just Townsville if you don’t want to confuse people.
- I really think it would be important for a ‘twin city’ of 160,000 people to have only one page for travellers and tourists. You can explain the difference and promote Thuringowa under the heading Townsville-Thuringowa rather than the separate page.
- The other quotes were left on my talk page User_talk:Ctbolt - Ctbolt 04:34, 15 March 2007 (EDT)
sorry but this is how i feel and as you may already now i am against the Townsville-Thuringowa term, The Townsville page has never said anything about Thuringowa before now so i can't see why there needs to be now, it's about time Thuringowa got better known as a city and not a suburb or part of Townsville as it gets called most of the time.
Again sorry but i feel that how it is will be fine. Thuringowacityrep 06:11, 15 March 2007 (EDT)
- My gut reaction is to put Thuringowa up for merging then deletion (redirect) as it doesn't help the travellers by having two pages about the same area and your reasons seem personal rather than for the good of Wikitravel. However, you seem willing to put in a lot of effort for your city - you should just think about how good a combined page would be. I've added a prominent link to your page on Townsville. Good luck - Ctbolt 07:36, 15 March 2007 (EDT)
How is Thuringowa pronounced.
How is Thuringowa pronounced.--Dmol 03:04, 20 March 2009 (EDT)