Sydney Districts
This page reflects the current consensus on districts.
- What districts are defined for Sydney
- What suburbs are contained within what districts
- What suburbs and areas within districts are of sufficient interest to the traveller to have their own articles
If the consensus changes, please make the changes here, so everyone knows what goes where.
- If a district is split, consolidated or changed, please remove any old district, add any new ones, and divide the suburbs areas between the two new districts.
- If a suburb or area moves to another district. Update the suburb entry in the index, showing the new district. Update any redirect page that exists in the main guide.
- If a suburb or area has sufficient attractions, or is of sufficient interest to the traveller to have its own article, make a link from the index to the article.
Please have any required discussion in Talk:Sydney (or in the district articles if appropriate).
The first section contains a list of all the Sydney districts. The second section contains a list of suburbs and areas, and where the information for that suburb or area should go. Some suburbs or areas within districts are of particular interest to travellers, and pass the wikitravel test for being their own article. In that case the suburb or area is followed by an (*) and linked to the appropriate article as well as being listed within the district.
Sydney is a huge city, contains few or no listings, rather it contains information on which district articles contain the required traveller information.
The main tourist regions of Sydney are contained in five central districts:
- Sydney/City - Everything in the city, and downtown, from the botanical gardens, George St movies, Hyde Park, Australian Museum, and Art Gallery. Circular Quay and south. Sussex St and east. George St north from Liverpool St.
- Sydney/Darling Harbour - Quite a separate area, from Tumbalong to Harbourside, to King St Wharf and Cockle Bay Wharf, including the bits of Pyrmont that adjoin it, like the Casino, and Powerhouse Museum. West of Sussex.
- Sydney/Chinatown - Area from Central, Capitol Theatre, Haymarket, Paddys Markets, Entertainment centre, Dixon St. UTS.
- Sydney/The Rocks - The observatory, Kent north of the bridge turn. George north of the Quay. Overseas Passenger Terminal.
- Sydney/East Sydney - Kings Cross, Darlinghurst, Woolloomooloo and Surry Hills. Generally east of the Australian Museum, East of the Art Gallery.
The rest of the Sydney suburbs are grouped into 10 suburban districts:
- Sydney/Eastern Suburbs - Potts Point to South Head, Moore Park to Bondi, Watsons Bay to La Perouse.
- Sydney/Inner West - Glebe to Strathfield
- Sydney/Parramatta - A district between the Inner and Outer West. Includes east to Auburn, and west to Westmead. North to the river, south to include Merrylands and Guilford.
- Sydney/Outer West - Wentworthville to Emu Plains, including Penrith and Blacktown. North to the river.
- Sydney/North Shore - North Sydney, Mosman, the Zoo, Neutral Bay to Hornsby
- Sydney/Northern Beaches - includes Manly to Palm Beach, and inland to incorporate the Forest areas and Belrose
- Sydney/Southern Sydney - South of the city, north of the Georges, includes Botany Bay, Hurstville and the airport
- Sydney/South West - Liverpool, Bankstown, Lakemba, Cabramatta, and all the way to Campbelltown.
- Sydney/North West - Includes the Hills, Macquarie Park, and Ryde.
- Sydney/Sutherland Shire - roughly corresponding to the LGA. South of the Georges.
Separate articles for areas with exceptional interest to the traveller. Some desinations which are of particular interest to the traveller, or for which there is a large amount of content available, are split into separate articles.
 Retain separate Manly article
Strongly disagree with suggestion that Manly be merged with Northern Beaches. Manly is a destination in its own right, and it easily passes the "Can you sleep there?" test. Having Manly listings integrated with listings for the whole district would make it distinctly less useful for the many (majority?) of travellers who intend to visit only Manly itself. Ian Page 20:32, 19 October 2011 (EDT)
- Join the central discussion at Talk:Sydney#Merging_major_tourist_destinations_.28Manly.2C_Bondi.2C_etc.29_into_districts... --globe-trotter 03:55, 20 October 2011 (EDT)