Ok, where does one start in sorting out this page?!
I live in sihanoukville (last 8 months) and have been visiting for the past 2 years, no expert but at least I am prepared to provide completely impartial advice / information.
- I've attempted to engage the user, however, he/she has been attempting retaliatory deletions of the page. Should we do a temp page protection? -- Sapphire • (Talk) • 00:37, 19 March 2007 (EDT)
- Since the offending child has been blocked should I unprotect this? -- 13:58, 19 March 2007 (EDT)
- No, because I already did it. =P Jpatokal 01:41, 20 March 2007 (EDT)
- In the more than two and a half years that have now passed, it looks as if the owner found another IP address and deleted the review of Coasters, despite the criticisms being substantially watered down as a result of his abusive rants and bullying tone on this page. I re-instated the last pre-deletion version of that review. I'm a new member, let me know if that was a breech of Wikitravel etiquette -- Donnacha • 22:50, 05 December 2009 (EDT)
- While I'm at it, it is probably worth noting that the intervening years don't seem to have improved the owner's attitude - apart from more unhappy experiences reported on Tripadvisor and Travelfish, I came across this alarming 2009 Travelpod report of [guests being outright conned by the owner and reportedly having a reputation locally for such shenanigans : http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/stellaone/1/1232332320/tpod.html -- Donnacha • 23:10, 05 December 2009 (EDT)
Sigh. I don't like dealing with assholes, but let's try to figure out if there's a point somewhere in his ranting.
- "MOST OF THE INFORMATION ON BAMBOO ISLAND BELOW IS INCORRECT". This, unfortunately, is useless. Which information?
- Shifty's doesn't have a pool table. Fine, I'll accept this on good faith.
- Same Same But Different Guesthouse doesn't have internet access. Can't really find anything either way on this, might as well delete it.
As for Coasters itself, it gets two of two bad reviews on TripAdvisor  and Travelfish , and there's some mighty familiar-sounding ALL CAPS RANTING on the Travelfish comments page. Anybody care to distill it down into a fair review? Jpatokal 08:31, 28 March 2007 (EDT)
- Having problems with assholes must make living with yourself a hell on earth. You may notice ásshole 'that the reports you saw on both those sites are from the same person. Word for word asshole. Check it you fucking half brain. What about all the other reports. Why did you focus on such a singularly negative report. Where did you get the 'Coasters dismal security' detail from asshole? Malibu security is great you say!!??? Then check this out asshole. http://www.travelfish.org/accommodation_profile/cambodia/southern_cambodia/sihanoukville/ochheuteal_beach/all/1231/0?ord=0
- Your Coasters reports are wrong wrong wrong. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 220.127.116.11 (talk • contribs) 09:36, 29 March 2007
- Y'know, i'm starting to see why people are calling your service "rude"...
- Anyway, I've rewritten the descriptions (except the Bamboo Island stuff, where you still haven't said what is incorrect). Flame away =) Jpatokal 06:46, 29 March 2007 (EDT)
- So what would make you happy? Jpatokal 01:07, 31 March 2007 (EDT)
- And what we're asking is for you to be helpful. Make specific factual criticisms and constructive suggestions. - Todd VerBeek 20:11, 1 April 2007 (EDT)
Where do you get it from??
MONOLITH n. 1 single block of stone shaped into a pillar. 2 A person or thing like a monolith in being massive, immovable, or solidly uniform. Who? Where? When? What? How? What are you talking about? How can you say that?? Have you been here?....its not possible. Would you like a few photos?? Coasters originally had 7 wooden bungalows. Three of them were losing the fight to termites, that was in 2003. It happens in Cambodia. We demolished them before the problem could seriously spread. We saved four of the original seven traditional bungalows and they remain in very good condition, recently re thatched, with the same daily rate they had in 2003, $15, despite the fact that energy utility prices have risen almost 200%. We removed the 3 problem bungalows and built red brick rooms in their place. We were losing business during the very hot season. Some people like air/con and air/con in a wooden bungalow, financially, doesn’t work. We covered the redbrick in the best quality plaster we could source to protect the structure against the heavy rain during that particular season. Its not concrete and It is not ugly. It was built with consideration and is now integrated into the surrounding greenery. Plants and trees grow quickly here. The vistas from these rooms are spectacular. Travelfish’s present introduction to Coasters was written when?? Have a look!! Its almost 4 year old! It was written before the building work was completed. How is that for up to date honest research? Travelfish is a site where time stands still. Its outdated introduction to Coasters is a travesty. It’s the first thing you see…YOUR FIRST IMPRESSION… four year old....COASTERS IS ABYSMAL ETC… The half wit high rise flat dweller full of hate and jealousy who scribbled the introduction said that when he asked for a discount on a $50 room the price was slashed in half in the blink of an eye ( something like that ). What crap. The room rates were not costed at random. The fat bearded prick who wrote that article. (I remember him…..a man on a mission… hostile….he went around the place like a whirlwind…nervous and a tad heavy, progressively indulgent indignant indigestive type. He also wrote a review on ‘’Coasters 2’’ Guesthouse. Find it? Where is it? It dosent exist. He decided to rename Mohachai GH as Coasters 2. And who is he?? No contact addy. A noname. Wikitravel has great potential. It can be edited and updated. Many of the sites are brilliant. Some of the cities mentioned I know well. I think you are the only site I have ever seen that makes Manchester look like its worth a visit .In all honesty do you rate travelfish as a source of reliable up to date information? Please…why did you state that Coasters has a dismal security?? That simply is NOT true. And when I sent you the details of another establishment with truly DISMAL security…why didn’t you include that in your caring information for the public? How do you pick and choose? The monolith part…where is that from? Of all the guest houses in SV why did you choose to demonise Coasters? Unfairly…so unfairly…..why? About our food…to recommend only eating what you can peel was so unfair, that tore my heart out, its so untrue. We care for the people who stay here….their comfort, their security, the food we serve, the service we provide. We watch it constantly. When we don’t get it right we actively care about that. We thrive on feedback and are always VERY open to those who care to tell us that there is something they are not happy about. We do our best, we really do. I have thousands of email addresses of people who stayed here, do you want them?……contact them at random. Coasters is one of the most successful businesses in SV. That Andrew Haggard Sapphire (the aspiring diplomat DUDE who is into pigeons ) believes that I am afraid of or trying to damage competition. There are many guest houses and hotels around us so why are we so busy?? Stupid guests?? I don’t think so. Most of our customers are returns and we are very happy that families with young children enjoy staying here. Our staff are like family and without being intrusive or familiar, it emanates. Our clientele are all ages. Many interesting people. From everywhere. Doctors to diplomats and those in between and beyond. Would you like a copy of our recent guest register. Coasters menu is managed by a professional chef that we recruited in PP. Would you like a copy of our menu? We take food and hygiene very seriously. Come here, you are welcome. See for yourself.
Coasters, Serendipity Beach. One of the older restaurant/hotels on the beach, with older wooden huts (fan only) and newer brick buildings (air-con). Location on the beach is superb, close to nightlife yet quiet, but rooms are basic, plumbing is dodgy. PLUMBING IS NOT DODGY THE ONLY THING THATS DODGY IS YOUR REVIEW. restaurant gets mixed reviews. WHERE IN THE WORLD IS THERE A RESTAURANT THAT GETS STATIC REVIEWS? and service has drawn many complaints. PLEASE SHOW ME THE MANY COMPLAINTS ( How many?? From where? point me towards them?) Rates from US$15 (fan) to $55 (Wrong Wrong Wrong )Rates are from $8 To $60(beachside air-con), fairly expensive for what you get. THE BEACHSIDE AIRCON IS ALWAYS FULL>>>>>EXPLAIN THAT! Lets get to the bottom of this.....where do you get your information from?? And again I ask ....why didnt you offer the information about the guest house where people are being scammed.....I gave you the link to that. Why didnt you use it?
- Hi! Stop shouting please, totally unnecessary. And please keep the comments on the talk page, don't insert your shouting into the article. Thanks! – cacahuate talk 05:19, 7 April 2007 (EDT)
Who is shouting?? Please stop giving false information. I have asked you on numerous occasions about your source. Whats your problem....Afraid of embarresing yourself? And once again why have you not updated your advice regarding: http://www.travelfish.org/accommodation_profile/cambodia/southern_cambodia/sihanoukville/ochheuteal_beach/all/1231/0?ord=0 You place such great faith into that travel site.....why dont you want to use the information in their above link?? Why are you putting false room rates?? You know nothing about this business....nothing.
About Bamboo Island....dont worry I can give you the correct information on that. First I want to clear this up.
- Rob, dude, I'm seriously getting pretty fucking tired of this shit. We don't care who has ever visited Coaster's, we don't care how old the average guest is that has stayed at Coasters. At this point, I'd rather talk to your boss, who allegedly threaten to have some girl, who you accuse of being a drunk, killed.
- Can you pretend, even if for five minutes, that you and I have been best friends since Kindergarten? If you begin to treat me with some respect I'll begin to work with you and respect you, rather than assume you're just out to cause to problems. I tried to work with you when you first started off on Wikitravel, but you completely misunderstood my intentions and started acting like you had never interacted with anyone before.
- You're also completely confusing "us". No organization is out to get you or Coaster's. The wiki process works on collaboration for everyone, and that includes people you do not agree with. So if you hate me, or anyone else that works on Wikitravel — you're just going to have to suck it up, because I intend on being around for a while and anyone else who comes along and you don't agree with is permitted to be around.
- I dislike several things on Wikitravel, but there's not much I can do since other people think the status quo is fine, etc.... So in the words of Yasserr Arafat:
- I come bearing an olive branch in one hand and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand.
- Now, let's discuss, without using "CAPS" or anymore profanity. Yes, I did use profanity at the beginning of these comments, but from this sentence forward I do not want to use anymore profanity with you.
- The way Jani described Coaster's seems decent enough, given some reviews I've been able to find about Coaster's. Not all of them come from the same Englishwoman that you accused of being a drunk and thief.
- I have changed the rates to comply with the rates that are posted on your site. Now, exactly how many rooms does Coasters have available to rent at any given time? Also, is the site that you operate an official website for Coaster's?
- Also, could you ask Don to sign on and preferably get an account to work with us? At the moment, all we need are solid facts, nothing more. No commentary, none of your opinions, and none of our opinions. If we can start talking in a civilized manner, which should reflect none of the past postings, then we can actually get things done and changed, rather than go on and on.
- My last question, for now, is does Coasters serve as an internet cafe? -- Sapphire • (Talk) • 23:29, 7 April 2007 (EDT)
"Rob, dude, I'm seriously getting pretty fucking tired of this shit." Rob?? Rob who?? Who do you assume you are talking to? "Now, let's discuss, without using "CAPS" or anymore profanity." Lets DUDE. Lets start with this ...given some reviews I've been able to find about Coaster's.... Point me towards them...where are they? I keep asking that but you dont reply.....we can understand the others reasons if we have the reasonable relevent information. For example. Dodgy plumbing...Where is that from. Is it one complaint...many...a few?? What?? On what do you base you Coasters reviews on?
"At the moment, all we need are solid facts, nothing more" If you are suddenly interested in solid facts then I am glad to hear that. Up to now you have been working on anything but. And again I ask what about http://www.travelfish.org/accommodation_profile/cambodia/southern_cambodia/sihanoukville/ochheuteal_beach/all/1231/0?ord=0
- Sounds like mixed reviews to me... this is from a quick google search, and by no means comprehensive:
- "Just back from 4 nights at the Coasters Hotel in Sihanoukville and have to say it's not been great. On the positive side, the location is great - right on the beach and next door to a great restaurant..." 
- " Be sure to tell them, that you want the room to be cleaned every day." -  (yes, I picked this out from a mostly positive review)
- One thing I will say for Coasters--the food is excellent. Can't recommend the rooms, but we had some wonderful seafood--and unlike everyone else in Cambodia, they know how to deep fry. - 
- "Coasters" on the beach is a favorite on my guest-house travel list and I`ve seen a lot of them. The rooms are clean, air con and basic, but the restaurant-bar (excellent food) and location are first rate and the staff is the best. 
- "I was traveling with a girlfriend of mine for several months through Asia Pacific. We chose Coasters because of the ideal location on the beach and nice deck setup and looking forward to unwinding. However that is where the positives of the experience stopped. We had hoped to stay longer but ended up leaving after two nights. The staff was rude and were not very helpful. The rooms were pretty run down and inadequate for the price. When we did decide to leave, we found that the initial price agreed for the room had risen by US$10. Out of all of the places we stayed at during our travels, this was by far the worst one. There are so many other great spots on the beach. The place has a lot of potential but the managers are just unwilling to make it happen. Choose another location to stay, the hassle of this place isn't worth the money." - added 12/2006, on travelfish - you've seen this and the others on there, since you responded to them there.
- There were a few more positive ones that I came across, but they sounded like they'd been written by an employee. Again, this is a wiki and anyone can update it. There is no "we" around here, this isn't an organization with employees, this is just a constantly changing group of people that want to write a travel guide. Some articles are really complete, but most are still a work in progress. The fact that someone added a more full-featured review for Coasters, and that nobody had yet added the theft/scams to Malibu's review doesn't show any bias... it simply means that the Sihanoukville page still needs work and isn't complete. Which, by the way, is pointed out by the bar at the bottom of the pages that denote that page's status... Sihanoukville is currently at "Usable", which means it still needs considerable work.
- I've changed the service comment from "many complaints" to "some complaints" to tone it down a bit. But I don't think the rest of the review sounds unreasonable, do you? I'm sure you've had plenty of satisfied customers, and I'm sure you're aware of those that haven't been so satisfied. The review should reflect reality, this guide in no way should become like a tourist brochure. RE: the plumbing comment, that is most likely based on a couple of the Travelfish reviews. Any other questions? Are you still horribly dissatisfied with the Coasters review (keeping in mind that it needs to reflect the opinion of travelers, even those that you don't like or agree with )? I've also added a note to Malibu, since yes, that should be reflected in their review. – cacahuate talk 18:47, 8 April 2007 (EDT)
Hello Cacahuate, Thank you for the feedback and all the information. To be honest I am a bit shocked by some of it but very happy to have the details. I will respond to you in a few days as I have a small journey starting this evening. If you are interested Coasters has 8 computers with reliable high speed internet that are available to the public. They are located at the back of the restaurant so you can surf while watching the surf.
I rolled back the deletion of about half this talk page. Yes, it's perfectly OK to delete or amend harsh words that you regret later (Wikitravel:Using talk pages#Etiquette), but deleting an entire conversation between several people is excessive. --Evan 10:35, 9 April 2007 (EDT)
I agree with you not to delete anything. I did it because when I saved a page the additional text didnt appear. I thought it was because there was no room, sorry. It is Khmer New year now, one of the busiest periods of the year. It takes a few days to wind down. Will be in touch soon. PS I certainly have no regrets about anything I said.
 Hello All, Don here
 For Mr Humble Haggard AKA Sapphire AKA Mary Poppins
"Is Richard Dawkins a jerk for not telling the whole truth about the hypothetical theory of everything? To further this question, are religions juvenile superstitions?" Go on Mr Humble pigeon fucker....you tell us. Put Richard Dawkins in his place. Lets have a laugh. You can do a job on Darwin while your at it.
"If you're from the UK and wondering why my name sounds familiar it's because I'm a bit of a celebrity on the opposite side of the pond." HA HA! a bit of a celebrity!! Go on!!
"My favorite painting is 'Street' by 'John Singer Sargent" How cultivated!! Was he in the military choir?? What a dickhead DUDE!! Go on ...ban me little boy.. get your lawyer daddy after me. Embassadorrr Haggard (very thin especially from disease, worn, weakened, Appearing worn and exhausted; gaunt, wild or distraught in appearance,intractable.)....HA HA HA . The press would love it. Stick to washing pots you little prick.
"Can space be created, if there is no space for space to exist in?" I bet you love trying that one on your boyfriends. Here try this. If it took a man a week to walk a fortnight how many apples are there in a barrel of grapes? "I want to be this that and the other..Anyone know of a good college...Yes try this one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grangegorman Poor andy.....I'll let you off the hook for the moment. This is Don from Coasters here. Do me a favor...take Coasters off your Sihanoukville page. Its off the mark. Tell me...of all the Hotels Guest houses in SV...and there are many....how did you focus your feeble little brain on Coasters?? I may have an idea. Joel ring a bell?? Its all hogwash. Its your ambition to write about a place you have never been. You are doing it already you moron....its fiction...aided and abetted by big egos who pretend their jobs and their hobbies are one and the same. As for drunks and thieves....do you want to talk about that? The travelfish page ....there are no contributions by Coasters staff on that. Another fiction. Thousands have stayed here...have you?
 Stay Healthy
Request someone who knows add statements about the safe potability of tap water or need to use bottled water, and risks of ice made from water from unknown sources. Regards, jdh
 Unexplained deletion
I just reverted an unexplained deletion of Coasters guesthouse. Is there a reason to delete it? Pashley 01:59, 29 July 2010 (EDT)
 More detail about snorkeling please! :-)
"Snorkeling. Possible around most of the islands, with the best snorkeling being at the further our islands for visibility, corals and fish" This is good, but how does one get on such a trip, and to which islands? It sounds like the Bamboo Island trip is not the one that you're referring to with this sentence. ta -NB
 Accommodation advice please
hey, can anyone tell me which are the cheapest options? i´m talking about the $1 - $2 dorm, or room with shared facilities. thanks