Since Phuket is both a province and a city, shouldn't this page be disamb.? For reasons of completeness I think it would be a good idea. However since the province is rather small, I can see why it was not yet chosen to be disamb.. Just wanted to see what other people think. -- Fido 17:21, 16 Sep 2004 (GMT+6)
- Phuket the island and Phuket the province are identical, so I don't really see the point of disambiguating. Phuket Town can be shifted out into Phuket Town if it ever grows large enough. Jpatokal 06:32, 16 Sep 2004 (EDT)
- Agreed -- Fido 17:51, 16 Sep 2004 (GMT+6)
The following interesting comment was posted into "ภูเก็ต":
จังหวัดหนึ่งในภาคใต้ เป็นเกาะที่ใหญ่ที่สุดของประเทศไทย มีแหล่งท่องเที่ยวที่มีชื่อเสียง เช่น หาดป่าตอง หาดกะตะ หาดกะรน หาดราไวย์ แหลมพรหมเทพ เป็นต้น
Oh my. Is that so? Jpatokal 13:38, 15 May 2006 (EDT)
Transiting via Changi?!
Going from Bangkok to Phuket via Singapore makes absolutely no sense any way you look at it; it adds a minimum of three hours of flight and transfer time, and there's no way you can fly BKK-SIN-HKT even on the cheapest LCCs so that it's competitive even with TG's standard 2000B rate, much less Nok and Air Asia specials. SIN airport taxes & charges alone comes to about US$20! Jpatokal 01:57, 16 May 2006 (EDT)
Shouldn't the first sentence of this article say how to pronounce the island's name? I'm pretty sure it's not pronounced like its English spelling would suggest, but I don't know how it is pronounced. 184.108.40.206 02:29, 16 May 2006 (EDT)
- Yes, it should, and it does now. Jpatokal 06:55, 16 May 2006 (EDT)
Phuket is a thai name for the original name Bukit, of Malay origins, meaning, hill, mountain.
Nowadays, phonetic spelling is
Help with sleep listings
Opinons please as to which Phuket article these 2 should go into (taken out of the main article):
- Absolute Chandara Resort & Spa, 99/1 Moo 6, Ban Ao Por, Pa Khlok, Thalang, Phuket, Thailand 83110, ☎ (0)7631 7800, . Absolute Chandara Resort & Spa in Phuket, Thailand is located less than a kilometer from Ao Por Bay. It is also just 20 minutes from the international airport and 30 minutes from the town. Each spacious accommodation also has a dining area, toilet and bath, kitchenette with refrigerator, and living room/ lounge. Rates start at THB 5000. edit
- Laem Sai Garden Beach Resort (แหลมทราย การ์เดน บีช รีสอร์ท) 33/9 Km.3, Mueang Mai-Laem Sai Road (Tel: 0 7621 7120, 0 7621 0193 Bangkok Tel: 0 2514 1011), www.laemsai-resort.com, 40 rooms: 1,500-5,000 baht
Chandra is on the northeast cape - don't think we have a district for that area, Laem Sai is closed, I say to hell with them, we have enough listings as it is. --Stefan (sertmann) Talk 08:55, 20 October 2009 (EDT)
- To hell with them it is :). I also took all the bar listings out of Phuket. All except 1 were Patong and I dumped them there. Frankly they are rubbishy listings and could all be deleted with no loss to the site.--Burmesedays 09:07, 20 October 2009 (EDT)
- We had a major dump by the Thai Tourism Authority before I joined up, which has basically wrecked all of Thailand, simply cause it's so massive and don't contain many individual details/reviews. I think it has been agreed that it's open season on all that content. --Stefan (sertmann) Talk 09:12, 20 October 2009 (EDT)
Remove TAT clutter
I've moved some TAT clutter and placed them at Talk:Phuket/Listings for future reference. --globe-trotter 17:40, 5 February 2010 (EST)
Destinations on Phuket
I'm not really happy with the current regional scheme of Phuket. Does every beach really need its own page? In Bali (a star region), a similar region such as Bukit Peninsula has the same size as Phuket, but the beaches are listed on the See page. Now I know Phuket has more visitors, but the current regions seem a bit too much. --globe-trotter 18:38, 5 February 2010 (EST)
- I see all islands of Thailand have this, including Ko Samui and Ko Pha Ngan. Maybe we could use the huge city template? --globe-trotter 21:06, 6 February 2010 (EST)
- Also I think the beach list could use some trimming. Most of them are empty, and Laem Sing doesn't even have any accommodation! --globe-trotter 22:07, 15 February 2010 (EST)
- And many of the islands I think should be moved to Phang Nga Province, Phang Nga Bay or something similar. --globe-trotter 18:04, 24 November 2010 (EST)
Payphones & misc telephone
It may be wise to describe the payphone situation:
- How many different types/providers there are?
- Access to 1800, 001800 & other free numbers? Payment required?
- Can you get cheap prepaid calling cards for international calls, and do they work from payphones?
Other issues to consider:
- Do mobile phones allow free access to free numbers? (FYI, NZ - yes, Aus - big fat no)
- Cost to call 1155 tourist police (landline/payphone/mobile)?
- emergency numbers (can usually lift from travel.state.gov)
- Example International call prices?
- VoIP - is it legal? is it feasible?
220.127.116.11 08:59, 20 May 2011 (EDT)
There should be NO specific scuba listings in a region article. The following need to be placed in the relevant town article, if they are not there already.
- Geo Expedition Similan Dive Center, 13/61 Moo 7 Khao Lak, Khuk Kak, Takuapa, Phang Nga (Opposite Bangkok bank in the center of Khao Lak), ☎ +66 76 485 792 (email@example.com). Khao Lak's largest dive center offers diving in a friendly atmosphere with an experienced crew. Day trips and daily departing liveaboards to the Similan Islands, Koh Bon, Koh Tachai and Richelieu Rock. edit
- Khao Lak Scuba Adventures, 13/47 Moo 7, Kuk Khak, Takuapa, Phang Nga 82190 Thailand, ☎ +66 76 485 602 (fax: +66 76 485 607). Daily departures by our fast and comfortable speedboats to Similan Islands, Koh Bon Islands or Richelieu Rock. edit
- Kon-Tiki Phuket Diving & Snorkeling Center . 30 years of experience in Thailand catering divers and snorkelers from around the world. PADI 5 star dive center & GoEco operator. Daily diving and snorkeling trips to Phi Phi Islands, Racha Islands, Shark point and Similan Islands.
- Kamala Diving Center: Merlin Divers Co., Ltd. , PADI dive courses and day trips & liveaboard excursions around Phuket. Retailer of water sports gear and sportswear.
- Dive Asia , Phuket's first Padi 5 Star CDC Center, offers a full range of diving services: liveaboards to the Similan/Surin National Parks, daytrips to Phuket's local dive sites and Padi diving courses and IDCs.
- Phuket dash Scuba dot Com , Liveaboards to Similan, Surin, Phi Phi & Hin Daeng as well as day trips to all Phuket dive sites and training from try dives to PADI professional level.
- Sunrise Divers , PADI 5 Star Dive Resort specialising in Liveaboards.
- Just Dive It  Connects to Worldwide dive and sail  with longer liveaboards to the Similan and Surin National Parks.
- ALOHA  offers snorkeling rental gear, SNUBA diving, and scuba diving courses for all ages and abilities.
- West Coast Divers 
- Similan Diving  Liveaboards and overnight adventures to the Similan and Surin Islands
- Thailand Divers, Patong Beach, Phuket, Thailand. Tel: 0 7629 2052 
- Tec Divers, Phuket, Thailand. 
- Santana, Diving and Snorkling  Patong Beach, Padi 5 Star IDC Center, 30 years of experience, English and German instructors available. Daily (Day)-Trips and (MV Discovery) LiveAboards, PADI Courses, Gear Rental.
SweetDreamers  offer sailing day trip to Coral Island for snorkeling with just 6 people on board.
Kon-Tiki Phuket Diving & Snorkeling Center . 30 years of experience in Thailand catering divers and snorkelers from around the world. PADI 5 star dive center & GoEco operator. Daily diving and snorkeling trips to Phi Phi Islands, Racha Islands, Shark point and Similan Islands.
- Aloha Ocean Adventures -  Highly Rated Small Group Full day Sightseeing & Snorkeling Tours to Phi Phi, Racha Yai and the Khai Islands. Premium Tours - Check for their online specials.
- Kon-Tiki Phuket Diving & Snorkeling Center - Dedicated snorkeling program to Phi Phi islands, Racha Yai, Coral island, Koh Khai islands and Similan islands. Depart every day from Phuket.
- Coral Seekers  luxury speedboat charters.
- Thailand Divers, Patong Beach, Phuket, Thailand. Tel: 0 7629 2052 
Day trip snorkeling tour by Mari Tour Phuket 
- Phuket Islands trip by Phuket Thailand Trip 
- ALOHA SNUBA Thailand SNUBA dive tours Phuket, Thailand 
Transferred from Travellers Pub
Phuket Island Hotel Listing
I note that, despite the suggestion that hotels should be listed at their respective destinations, there is a listing from Allamand Laguna added recently. The listing is pretty "tout-y", with "we....do this" sort of comments.
I further note that there is a template for Thalang, but nothing written on it at all.
Perhaps something needs to be done about this listing, so will someone in authority please decide the best option? The listing was added late January.
Avemario (talk) 01:18, 7 February 2015 (EST)
Thanks Avemario for spotting that! The listing was definitely touty and should not be listed there. It was clearly written All sleep listings should be put in their respective city or beach articles. Next time you see something like that, feel encouraged to delete it :) Cheers! IBAlex (talk) 06:12, 7 February 2015 (EST)