- Stay safe - that ripoff should probably be put in some more general terms.
- "Ask for Dr. so-and-so" - I am not sure what to make of this... If there's only one reliable doctor, we might as well remove the hospital.
- Original author states that there are cyber-cafes in various parts of town but Orissa is a state
-- Nils 04:04, 23 May 2004 (EDT)
Do we change the spelling immediately because the government changed the spelling? Travelers around the world don't know the state as Odisha. I don't think the immediate spelling change is in keeping with the "common English name" policy of Wikitravel. Ikan Kekek 04:45, 4 January 2012 (EST)
- It's a tough one. It looks like usage is swinging toward the new name, but it's hard to tell for sure. Wikipedia hasn't made the switch yet, but it's a fairly obscure state. That said, it looks like the new name is inevitable; while I wouldn't have suggested making the change, since it's already been made I'm finding it hard to recommend going to the trouble of reverting. LtPowers 15:54, 5 January 2012 (EST)
- Hi peeps. I made these changes thinking I was doing a good thing. I'm terribly sorry if this was a major breach of etiquette by doing so unilaterally. One thing I tried to do when doing the change was to ALWAYS refer to Odisha as the state "formerly known as Orissa", and to make sure pages such as "Orissa" redirected properly. My thinking (and hence why I foolishly acted unilaterally) was that this way, anyone looking for "Orissa" would find the information they need, and get the explanation as to the name change. Second point: I live in Odisha right now, and the Government went through a lot of trouble to update the name everywhere. My main concern would be that someone who doesn't know about the name change might get confused, say, if they're looking for a train from Kolkata to Puri, Orissa, and only see Odisha in train stations, etc. It's probably better to be confused on Wikitravel than once here. :) Anyway, I don't have a vested interest in this, so feel free to revert if you feel it would be better. Again, my apologies. --Triseult 05:10, 10 January 2012 (EST)
SWEPT IN FROM THE PUB
Hi, everyone. User Triseult has been editing every mention of the Indian state formerly known as Orissa to reflect a new official Indian government spelling. I appreciate his/her diligence but have doubts about his/her decision. We have not changed the spelling of Bangalore to Bengaluru, for example, because the latter spelling is still at least somewhat more common in English.
I have started a thread in Talk:Odisha and invite your participation.
All the best,
Ikan Kekek 05:21, 4 January 2012 (EST)