Is this the same Marmara, or a different one? WikiPedia:Marmara, Balıkesir
- No, it's not the same. WikiPedia:Marmara, Balıkesir corresponds to Marmara Islands article. Marmara Region is a much bigger surrounding area (which also includes WikiPedia:Marmara, Balıkesir).--Vidimian 08:19, 8 September 2008 (EDT)
I propose the following as sub-regions for Marmara Region to keep the current and future list of cities tidier, as well as to get rid of fairly useless (and inconsistent) provinces as sub-regions (well, except one of them).
- Istanbul Province – this is the only province I’d like to keep as a sub-region because of its central position which makes it hard to attach it somewhere else.
- Eastern Thrace – European Turkey/European Marmara Region except those places that are covered in Istanbul Province. Already a quite substantial article.
- Southern Marmara – Anywhere south of Dardanelles, the Sea of Marmara, and the mountain range running right through the centre of the peninsula to the east of the Sea. It ends just east of Gemlik. Includes Canakkale, Bandirma, Marmara Islands, Bursa, Gemlik, and Armutlu.
- Eastern Marmara – East of Istanbul Province, including both (northern & southern) shores of the Gulf of Izmit. Includes Izmit and Yalova, and two articles that I’ll start soon: Iznik and Osmaneli.
We currently have (a very messy) Balikesir Province and (an essentially empty) Bursa Province which should both be broken up between two proposed subregions each, and after getting their content to right city articles (and creating new articles if they don’t exist already), I intend to turn them to basically disambiguation pages with links to necessary subregion pages (We also have Edirne Province too, but since it’s completely a subregion of Eastern Thrace, its final fate can be decided later).
If there are no objections, I intend to start these subregions within a few days. – Vidimian 16:04, 27 April 2009 (EDT)