Language tourism & Spanish language tourism
Both have previously been deleted at least once already.
Delete again? Or keep as Travel activities#Other activities? ~ 220.127.116.11 16:05, 17 December 2007 (EST)
Delete. I think I was the one to delete these earlier as non-articles. They are plausibly travel topics, but currently lack any useful information, just fluff. And I'm not convinced there is anything useful to be said on this matter, speaking as someone who does travel for the purpose of language acquisition. If you want to learn language X, go spend time in country X. Any practical information beyond that becomes a guide to "how to learn languages," which seems beyond the scope of Wikitravel to me. While language certainly is a reason to travel, I don't see a practical purpose for a travel topic about this motivation. --Peter Talk 20:55, 17 December 2007 (EST)
- Keep. They are valid travel topics. We should keep them, as we do with many stub articles, and see if they develop. An article on the other side of language travel, Teaching English, was once vfd'd and is now a guide, almost star. Pashley 21:26, 17 December 2007 (EST)
- There's lots they could cover: If I want to learn Spanish, what are the differences in cost, accent, etc. between Spain, Argentina, etc.? Which schools are good? In interesting cities? On good beaches? Which have courses specifically for business Spanish? Pashley 21:35, 17 December 2007 (EST)
- Fair enough, I might have been being shortsighted. I think the generic Language tourism should be delimited, though, to a basic index of specific language tourism articles (which right now only includes the stub Spanish one). I suppose I could cobble together a decent article of this nature for Russian.
- Only one other point, though—I don't like the name "Language Tourism," as it seems neo-logismy to me. Wouldn't Learning Spanish abroad be better? --Peter Talk 22:05, 17 December 2007 (EST)
- I like Learning Spanish abroad much better as well. Tourism is one reason to travel, language learning is another. Texugo 23:09, 17 December 2007 (EST)
- Surely a single-item "Language tourism" index should be a sub-section of the relevent "Travel topics" index, at least until it grows too long to fit there.
- How about redirecting Language tourism to a "Learning languages abroad" section on the Travel activities page? ~ 18.104.22.168 01:10, 18 December 2007 (EST)
- Sounds good to me. --Peter Talk 01:30, 18 December 2007 (EST)
- Me too.Texugo 01:56, 18 December 2007 (EST)
- Me three.Pashley 02:27, 18 December 2007 (EST)
- Done. ~ 22.214.171.124 15:32, 18 December 2007 (EST)