I switched this picture for my own: Image:Daigo-ji.jpg
It's a beautiful picture, but I saw it on Wikipedia and since I have some of my own, I thought it'd be best for Wikitravel to have its own fresh pictures. I'm posting this here in case that picture belongs to someone. I don't want to offend anyone or make them think I'm deleting other people's photos. ChubbyWimbus 20:08, 25 June 2009 (EDT)
- I like your photo more, myself, and I'm fully in favor of swapping out photos wherever it may improve the new looks. (Jani hasn't gotten upset that I already exchanged one of his with one of my own!) With the new articles flowing differently, rethinking the photos is a necessity. - Dguillaime 20:40, 25 June 2009 (EDT)
- Gorilla Jones: I had thought of moving the Ninnaji photo from the Kyoto/North page to the main Kyoto page. It looks awkward on the "North" page as it is, but I personally think the photo is worth keeping. The two pictures unfortunately are really similar, as they are both pagodas and stylistically, they are quite similar. Do you think the Ninnaji photo would be better on the main page or would you prefer leaving the Ninnaji picture where it is (I can post more pictures in the North to keep it from being bare if it is moved)? The picture I uploaded is of the same site as the one I removed (Daigo-ji). My thoughts are that, since Kyoto has so many sites, multiple images of the same place are not necessary...
- I posted the original Daigo-ji picture, but don't worry about replacing it - yours is 100% better. I figured we needed something for that landmark so I trawled Wikimedia Commons for a PD image and found that one. --Diego de Manila 08:12, 26 June 2009 (EDT)
Since we are on the topic of Kyoto pictures, I am also wondering if there are objections to removing this photo of Kiyomizu Temple  from the Kyoto/Higashiyama page? I thought this particular picture was an eyesore even before I joined Wikitravel. It's interesting to look at, but on the site it just looks strange to me.
I hope I am not sounding pushy. Maybe I'm just thinking too much about these things. I have been posting a lot in the talk pages of Kyoto and subcategories lately... ChubbyWimbus 00:12, 26 June 2009 (EDT)
- Agreed — that's neither a good photo nor a good representation of Kiyomizu-dera. No opinion about the Ninnaji photo, except that there will probably be a wealth of temple photos available for the North page when it's filled out. Gorilla Jones 00:22, 26 June 2009 (EDT)
- Agreed as well. It actually looks more like "View of Kyoto from Kiyomizu-dera" than "Kiyomizu-dera" to me, so feel free to swap it for a more representative photo.
- That goes for the picture of Ginkaku-ji as well: just another image I fished out of Commons to show people what it looks like. (NB: Lest it sound like I'm papering the guides with unsatisfactory snaps, the Kiyomizu-dera one isn't one of my contributions.) Does the job well enough but not exactly an award-winning shot. Sadly, I don't have any pictures of my own to contribute for Ginkaku-ji since the renovations referenced in the guide were well under way when I was there earlier this year - I saw the apologetic sign at the gate and did a quick about-face. --Diego de Manila 08:19, 26 June 2009 (EDT)