Old discussions have been moved to the archive
 District break-up
I think it's high time some one split this city up into disrticts. Otherwise it'll be the same old story as it was (no, IS) with Bangalore and Chennai, there'll be 100 See listings, 200 Do's and the article will be stuck in usable status.
Here's my proposal
Well, I was sorta working towards that in the "see" section... the subdivisions I made there were how I was thinking... not too different from what you're doing -
- BBD Bagh
- Salt Lake City - Maybe Kolkata/East is better
p.s... it's probably better to work this out first and wait more than 1 day before creating the articles, in case there's any opposition or suggestions, etc... but thanks for pushing this along! Anyone else care to comment? - Cacahuate 03:39, 7 March 2007 (EST)
- Hey, I've already gone and districtified the stuff because no one was bothering to reply (so I though I'd plunge forward!)
P.S. I'm from Calcutta (I don't live there now but I was born there and still go there twice/thrice a year) and I don't think that Chowringhee would be a good district, it's a street that runs paralled to the Maidan on the Eastern Side. BBD Bagh and Central Calcutta is included in Esplanade (the more generic term) so I think my break-up is quite OK :) Upamanyuwikitravel • ( Talk ) • ( Travel ) • 07:26, 8 March 2007 (EST) PPS. Hey Cacahuate, please check out Shimla now and gimme some feedback!
I don't know much about Calcutta, so all I can say is, if it is natural, unambiguous and covers the whole of Cal, then we've got the right districtification. — Ravikiran 07:37, 8 March 2007 (EST)
- It is all 3. So then that means you're fine with it ... Upamanyuwikitravel • ( Talk ) • ( Travel ) • 07:42, 8 March 2007 (EST)
- I know a little bit about Kolkata (though am far from an expert) and the the districtification seems fine to me. WindHorse 11:14, 8 March 2007 (EST)
- No. Howrah is a separate city and is in the Howrah district. The city of Calcutta lies within the N. 24 Parganas, S. 24 Parganas and Calcutta Minicipal districts. Howrah should have a separate article. It's also on the other side of the river, to the west. There's no denying the fact that it is part of the Cal Megapolis, but that stretches till the harbor and as far as Kaharagpur (over 100km w. of Howrah). We can make that a sub-region of West Bengal and Howrah can fall within it. Upamanyuwikitravel • ( Talk ) • ( Travel ) • 04:35, 9 March 2007 (EST)
So are the Planetarium, Indian Museum and St Paul's in Esplanade or Maidan? I would've thought Maidan, especially since Park St seems to be included in Maidan, and these sights (I think) are inbetween Park St and the park itself - Cacahuate 20:45, 9 March 2007 (EST)
- Yes, sir, you got two out of three, but the Indian Museum is Esplanade as it north of Park Street, near the junction with Sudder Street (if my my memory doesn't fail me). I'll move the other two over to Maidan. WindHorse 10:33, 10 March 2007 (EST)
 still needs clarification
Let's finally get this mess cleaned up. I made a (very raw) sketch based on the outlines discussed so far: map-outlines
1. Where are actually city boundaries? So where do the fringes end?
Answer: Depends, Kolkata city endds roughly on the EM bypass to the east, the Hooghly river to the west, DUmDUm to the north and maybe, Tollygunj to the south. Kolkata Metropolitan area, comprises of everything such as Salt Lake City, New Town and Rajarhat, parts of Howrah.
Maidan is exactly not a single place. Parkstreet is a long road linking the Park Circus 7 point crossing to the Maidan and esplanade. Although visitors are more interested to the area near the Maidan/Esplanade.
Where the Park Street meets the Chowranghee Road.
Park Circus is neither in the above. Near to the eastern area of the city, linking the science city, the Eastern Metropolitan Bypass(EM Bypass) and the Salt Lake City.
5. East of Maidan: Where does Maidan's east end? Gopalpur, Rajahat, Garden Reach - Are they Southern fringes?
Maidan Ends with Victoria Memorial building. Rajarhat is East kolkata Township, Garden Reach is the docks at the south fringes.
6. Tangra - where to put it?
Tangra is the East kolkata.
7. Kasba, Haltu - where to put them?
Kasba, Haltu are the southern fringes. Mostly not in the Kolkata Municipality.
8. Is it ok to throw "East Calcutta Township"/... in one pot with Saltlake?
No, Salt Lake City is around for neary 3 decades now, East Calcutta Township is comparatively new.
9. Dum Dum into East Kolkata with Saltlake? Including North Dum Dum and the airport?
DumDum is actually North Calcutta, please dont mix DumDum with DumDum Airport.
10. Where is the Northern boarder of North (and East) districts / the Southern boarder of the Northern fringes?
Northern Border for the Metropolitan Area streches upto maybe Barrackpore(military barracks), Southern extends till Joka (with the IIMs and many resorts).
Okay, I think that's it - too many questions, I know ... and I apologize for that. So just answer some question if you can
to 2. Right now it is in both district articles (although more in Maidan).
to 3. I would leave Eden Garden with Maidan, as it is kind of part of the Maidan sport/park areas.
Sebindi 07:35, 4 April 2010 (EDT)
- I can't be of any help at all I am afraid as I know zilch about Kolkata. I would suggest though that as the districtification has been pending for years now, wait about 14 days for comments, and if none come just plunge forward with your own plan, always updating the intended scheme here. --Burmesedays 12:19, 4 April 2010 (EDT)