After some discussions on wiaa, I've been going through our uninhabited island articles to see if there was a good way to frame exceptions to the policy, because from an armchair traveller point of view, I quite like many of them. The reasonable suggestions seem to be based on uninhabited island that could be visited (by tourists, researchers, or military) and that are such a distance from other places that including them elsewhere makes no sense.
This article does not fit this exception. As well as being uninhabited, it can't be visited, and WP says it is more of a maritime hazard than an island, being underwater at high tide. Its not a good place to anchor your boat, or to set up a tent. As a result, it has a very encyclopaedic feel, rather than a travel guide. Perhaps we should leave WP to document this one? --inas 08:11, 31 May 2010 (EDT)
- Redirect. Since it's a real place a redirect seems to make more sense than a delete. It looks like Line Islands would be the best redirect target? -- Ryan • (talk) • 00:37, 31 May 2010 (EDT)
- Really? Thats a disamb page itself. Its only purpose is to direct people elsewhere. --inas 08:08, 31 May 2010 (EDT)
- Redirect to Kiribati would be the move I think. Kingman is part of the Northern Line Islands, which are covered by our Kiribati article. It is not officially part of Kiribati but could very easily be covered there with one or two sentences. Alternatively, redirect to Oceania with a similar two sentence profile. --Burmesedays 08:27, 31 May 2010 (EDT)
- Hmmm - we could add something like If you happen to be saling to Hawaii, be careful about 500km north that you don't run into it?. If we decide to redirect, I'd throw my weight behind Oceania. We already have a small section there for uninhabited and unvisitable, lets just redirect this miscellany to there. --inas 00:21, 2 June 2010 (EDT)
- Redirect to Line Islands, I think slapping this together with Kiribati, while a reasonable line of thought, is a slippery slope. Line Islands is fine, even if its a disamb page, since it would tell the would be traveller roughly where the place is. --Stefan (sertmann) talk 17:42, 8 June 2010 (EDT)
Result: Redirected to Line Islands. If anyone feels strongly that this should be redirected elsewhere go for it - I chose the Line Islands simply because there were two votes for it. -- Ryan • (talk) • 23:42, 14 June 2010 (EDT)