This information cannot be easily relegated to a textbox because it deals with several articles (Luxor, Kom Ombo, Aswan, Upper Egypt). I have changed it to an itinerary article, which should help the case against deletion. There is no other real satisfactory information on how to go about taking a long felucca ride, and I felt this would help other travelers who are interested in making the journey. I know I would have appreciated more info.
Merrywanderer 18:25, 2 January 2008 (EST)
- No worries, let's have the conversation at votes for deletion, that's where it counts at the moment :) – cacahuate talk 19:09, 2 January 2008 (EST)
- I left a note in User Talk:Merrywanderer. Not sure if you've seen it. Something like 'A Felucca trip down the nile' (or is it up the nile, never could get that straight) might work and could be quite useful since it is popular enough.--Wandering 19:43, 2 January 2008 (EST)
This pages was at one time nominated for deletion, the discussion follows:
- "Delete". Not suitable for an article. --Wandering 16:06, 2 January 2008 (EST)
- Unsure, but incline to keep. Not a destination for sure, but is there a reason why feluccas and other things like them are less of a topic than cruise ships? -- Bill-on-the-Hill 18:35, 2 January 2008 (EST)
- Keep, but rename... cruise ship articles are pretty controversial already, I don't think I would keep it on those grounds if the article was just about feluccas in general, but it's set up as an itinerary, and I think it's a pretty popular one... I'm sure the info could just as easily be put into the get in / get out sections of Cairo and Luxor, but I don't think it hurts to arrange this itinerary also, as long as it remains an itinerary and doesn't turn into a travel topic about feluccas ;) I vote to rename to Take a felucca down the Nile, or something similar – cacahuate talk 18:58, 2 January 2008 (EST)
- Keep, but rename. "Felucca cruises on the Nile"? Felucca cruises are big in Egypt and, as an itinerary, it has the makings of a decent article already. Jpatokal 02:22, 3 January 2008 (EST)
- Just Nile cruises I think. Feluccas are one option, but there are also bigger boats. I'd suggest one itinerary article covering all waterborne possibilities. Pashley 08:20, 3 January 2008 (EST)
- Or perhaps follow the pattern set by Along the Yangtze river and Along the Yellow river, use Along the Nile? Pashley 08:40, 3 January 2008 (EST)
- Nile cruises is a little to general. Felucca rides and bigger Nile cruises are geared toward different sets of travelers ($5 per night vs. $40+) and are arranged in different ways. Combining them could get unwieldy. I would vote to rename it for easy linking from relevant articles, e.g. "Do: take a felucca cruise on the Nile" Merrywanderer 10:48, 3 January 2008 (EST)
- I don't think "Nile cruises" is too general at all. A sensible way to structure the article would be to put common considerations together (e.g. "Stay safe" will be nearly independent of how large a boat you're on) and then break out sections for feluccas, high-end cruises, etc. The existing article could serve as the core for that, so I'm with Jani: rename this article to Nile Cruises, use the good work you already did as the starting point, and start adding things as alternatives to feluccas are developed. -- Bill-on-the-Hill 11:30, 3 January 2008 (EST)
- I disagree with you a bit about their similarity (Understand, Prepare, and Get In will be different), but I won't argue too much about combining them. Perhaps the name "Nile Cruise" would be better for linking (e.g. "Do: take a Nile cruise" or "Get In: take a Nile cruise from Aswan").
- Nile Cruise is too broad. There is a huge difference between taking one of those big cruise boat trips along the Nile from Cairo to Aswan and taking a felucca ride along the Nile (usually from Luxor to Aswan, I think). Somewhat akin to the differences between Newtonian and Quantum Mechanics. A 'Felucca journey up the Nile' would be a great addition to the itinerary library while a Nile Cruise travel topic (can't really be an itinerary) would be just ho-hum.--Wandering 14:34, 3 January 2008 (EST)
- I'd say Along the Nile would be good itinerary topic, but no-one's started that yet. I thought this might be the first chunk of that, based on someone above talking about "put into the get in / get out sections of Cairo and Luxor". Looking at the actual article, I was wrong; this has much narrower scope. So forget about Along the Nile; maybe someone will do it later, but that's not our question here. Also forget about Nile cruise since that would be confusing — does it mean feluccas around Aswan or big boats Cairo-Luxor, or something else down in Sudan?
- So then the question is what to do with the Felucca article. Is it really localised enough that we can just merge the text into Aswan's "get out" section and redirect the original? Or should we keep the article, possibly re-titled, and link to it from Aswan, Luxor, perhaps other places? I lean to the latter, but don't know the area well enough to be sure. Pashley 18:23, 3 January 2008 (EST)
- I'm a little confused as to where the above conversation ended up, but it was good around the part when we were leaning towards keeping this Felucca itinerary and renaming it. The only reason I don't like "Nile cruises" is that it doesn't sound like an itinerary, and would possibly lead to lame copies like "Atlantic cruises". If it's only covering Feluccas on the nile, it would be nice if it had felucca in the name, or not if it's going to describe more than one way to do the journey – cacahuate talk 19:13, 3 January 2008 (EST)
- I vote for a 'felucca' and 'nile' itinerary. --Wandering 16:28, 4 January 2008 (EST)
- Yeah, I vote to rename as "Felucca cruise on the Nile" Merrywanderer 15:31, 6 January 2008 (EST)
Outcome: Renamed to Felucca cruise on the Nile and made an itinerary. Original name left as a redirect --Nick 02:46, 18 January 2008 (EST)