I had the pleasure of meeting the staff at Coco Loco Bar during my vacation in Boracay. After a few visits to the bar and chatting with the young and friendly Staff, I began to learn about numerous unfair practices committed by Coco Loco's owners on their Staff.
At least 3 of the waitresses are under 18yrs. old, but they are told to lie about their age by the bar's owners. The owners prefer to hire underage teenagers in order to lure men and older men clientele to the bar.
The wait Staff are each paid P3000/month (about $70/month) way below the minimum wage required. They also have to work 7 days a week with no overtime pay. They often go for months before getting one day off.
Those who read this might want to think twice about spending a dime at Coco Loco in sympathy to their maltreated Staff.
Hopefully this would send the message to the owners that their maltreatment of their Staff has to end.
Today I did some major editing:
I did some minor grammatical changes to make the tenses agree: A restaurant is more generally referred to as in the he/she form not the they form unless you are referring to many restaurants at once:
"The English Bakery has sausages" NOT "The English Bakery have sausages"
"There are a wide variety of gift shops" NOT "There is a wide variety of shops"
[Wrong! Last time I looked, a 'variety' is singular, not plural]
Also, I tried to fix the formatting, making sure that a heading is surrounded by == and that a subheading is surrounded by ===
For example: Get In (surrounded by == ==) Looks like "Large letters with a dividing line" By AIR (=== ===) Looks like "Bold subsection within a general division" By Boat (=== ===) By Bus (=== ===)
I also tried to modify some of the wording so that it doesn't read like a blog "Such and Such's place is really sweat with fantastic steaks" but instead reads like a recommendation that may be more easily trusted. Too glowing of a review sounds like the owner may want to try to spur on sales or, as I said before reads like a blog not a Wiki-page.
I also added a subsection of (=== ===)Breakfast and (=== ===)Lunch and Dinner to the Eat(== ==) section
and I tried to clean up the Sleep section by adding locations.
I really like Boracay and many places there but I write my glowing "hey that was fantastic" to my own blog and I try my best to make this Wiki sound more professional so that it will get used as a professional resource and not get treated like another blog.
I have no time for more changes so I left most of the 'too colourful' and 'too personal' references slide for today. Seaniz 11:21, 5 March 2006 (EST)
- Great work — keep it up! Jpatokal 11:14, 5 March 2006 (EST)
- Hello! Great work fixing up this article, perhaps one day it will become a star. It seems like you really understand the tone we're going for here... Just a couple of quick suggestions: you may want to take a look at our Manual of style and templates to see how we've been formatting things -- for example, we usually don't breakdown the Eat section by type of food but by price.
- Also, it helps if you sign your comments with ~~~~ which will insert your user name and the date/time so we know who's said what!
- Anyway, looking forward to more of your contributions! Majnoona 11:17, 5 March 2006 (EST)
- sounds good I'll check out the style guide, but I do think breakfast should be a category as it's a very different type of meal for me! Seaniz
- In that case you haven't been in Asia long enough =P Jpatokal 21:46, 5 March 2006 (EST) (who had century egg porridge, raw fish and soya milk for breakfast yesterday)
 Eating format
I was just adding a few lines to the eating section and thought that it may be time to start breaking it apart and putting it back together following the style guide, as discussed above. I'd start it but I haven't been to any of the listed restaurants. More than anything this message is just support for anyone that might be thinking of reformating the section. Johnycanal 00:00, 21 August 2006 (EDT)
[add listing] DO
I added more information on Scuba Diving in Boracay in the Do section; the previous content said not a good place for diving, however with 20 dive centres along the beach I feel that this contradicts that opinion. I will add an external reference later to more information on diving in Boracay, when I work out how to do that —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 220.127.116.11 (talk • contribs)
- Cool, thanks for the update! You may want to take a look at Wikitravel:External links though about the reference you're talking about, we don't usually add in links like that... only official websites for the dive shops can go in... If you've got any other info on Borocay, keep updating! – cacahuate talk 17:19, 27 March 2007 (EDT)
- Actually, I removed these links, as they are just advertisements. There are literally dozens of diving shops lining the beach on Boracay, and I see no need to list those two here. People who are interested will have no trouble finding a shop.User:Jdylan 17:18, 29 March 2008 (EDT)
 Added Miscellaneous Section
Hi, I just added the misc. section to list things that I thought travelers should need to know, or would want to know, at least. I put in three things so far, the ATM's, the Vendors and that Bat Cave. The ATMS I put in for obvious reasons, as I myself got stuck with no money. The vendors..well, I wish I had known about them beforehand. Finally, the Bat Cave is very dangerous and there is no mention of it being so. I am open to any more suggestions.User:Jdylan 14:27, 26 May 2007 (EDT)
- I've moved the "Miscellaneous" information to the Buy and See sections, as that's where we usually put information about financial/shopping matters and attractions, respectively. - Todd VerBeek 16:09, 26 May 2007 (EDT)
Okay, thanks. I didn't know where to put that info, such as the ATM section. I thought maybe making a "Travel Tips" section? If more people throw ideas out, perhaps we could later on. User:Jdylan 17:20, 26 May 2007 (EDT)
- See Wikitravel:Where you can stick it for a rather long list of where to put various kinds of information. - Todd VerBeek 17:37, 26 May 2007 (EDT)
 Does anybody Know - Nigi Nigi?
I see info in the site about Nigi Nigi Noo Noo's, with beach cottages, but when I was there I ate and drank at "Nigi Nigi's Beach Resort", which had NO cottages, it was a 3 or 4 story pretty fancy hotel with a nice lobby. I htink the owners might have bought this hotel and renamed it NNBR? I am aware of the Nigi Nigi Noo Noo's and have seen the cottages. Maybe this is new to the beach? User:Jdylan 18:11, 26 May 2007 (EDT)
 No Advertisements, Please!
Today I removed 3 obvious, biased advertisements with links to the respective websites. One for a sailboat company, the other two for diving companies. Looking through the history, I see most of the edits have been made to remove things like these. There are literally dozens of companies offering every service you can think of on Boracay, so we don't need to list them. We normally only list Hotels, Restaurants & Bars. Plus, there are actually too many companies to list. And keep your blatant advertisements out, such as "The Best Diving Company in Boracay!" or "Cpt. Jack will be sure you have a good time!" Okay? They will be deleted anyway.User:Jdylan 17:29, 29 March 2008 (EDT)
 By Air / Sleep Section
Hello everyone! I edited a big part in this section. Kindly check if the edits are ok. I suggests that there should be a [tips / notes] section where we can put our side notes like the 'beware from travel agents' or the 'tips for guests with international flights', etc. Thanks! Wiccaglaiza 12:33, 18 March 2010 (EDT)
Hi! I updated the Caticlan airlines portion. Cebu Pac, Airphil & Pal are already allowed to land at Caticlan. Wiccaglaiza 11:30, 18 March 2010 (EDT)
I edited Asian Spirit, it has rebranded to Zest Airways and they have changed website already. I also edited the routes. SEAIR has no Cebu-Caticlan-Cebu flights already. Thanks!
- Thanks! Jpatokal 05:52, 8 April 2009 (EDT)
Thanks for the reminder. I already edited our part. FYI also, there are other resorts listed under the sleep section that have their outlets in other sections aslo i.e. Fridays Boracay & Boracay Regency.\
You edited again the part of Patio Pacific. FYI, buffet is not served all year round. Also, why delete the accreditation? Other resort listing have their accreditation in their write-up... DOT accreditation is very important so tourist will know the standards of the different resorts.
- Most resort listings in Boracay are absolutely terrible and will be dealt with in due course, please don't use them as a model for anything. Wikitravel:Accommodation listings shows how it should be done. Jpatokal 05:52, 8 April 2009 (EDT)
- Well, I gave the sleep listings a long-overdue once over. There are still way too many listings with nothing informative though... Jpatokal 02:09, 9 April 2009 (EDT)