Takaka is the hub of, and largest town in, Golden Bay, in the northwest corner of the South Island of New Zealand.
It has a great groovy-granola vibe supplemented with a liberal (in more ways than one) sprinkling of people from around the world who stumbled across this little piece of hidden Nirvana on earth.
Agriculture and tourism are the main industries in Golden Bay, so the economy is fairly seasonal.
Just over the Takaka Hill, which is also known as The Marble Mountain (because that's what its made from). A stunning drive with roughly 250 bends and stunning views over both Tasman and Golden Bays. (Which probably explains its undiscovered nature.) If you want to fly in, Golden Bay Air provides regular flights on a small aircraft from Wellington.
- Farewell Spit Lighthouse - Take a 4WD tour along Farewell Spit to the historic lighthouse on the tip.
- Waikoropupu Springs - The home of the clearest water in the world.
- Kotinga - Feed the tame eels at Bencarri nature park and visit the Salmon farm next door.
- Beaches. Golden sand - what else - in bay called golden.
- Go Caving in Harwood's Hole and other cave systems in the area.
- Te Anaroa Caves (rockville), 526 Plain Road Rockville. (Sign posted from Collingwood), ☎ 0275248114. 350 meter long family caveing expeirence for all.No ropes or hassels. $10-$50. edit
- Salmon Fishing @ Anatoki Salmon Experience the thrill of catching your own food. Only pay $22.00 per kg/catch. Free use of fishing equipment. Fully licensed Café and beautifull surroundings. Only 7 minutes from Takaka town centre - 230 McCallum Road - 03 525 7251 - http://www.anatokisalmon.co.nz - Just follow the brown Road signs - Next to Wild Earth nature park.
- Cape Farewell Horse Tracks It gives you views of all of Farewell Spit and, as you look out to sea, if you are really lucky, you might spot a whale. 23 McGowan Street, Collingwood - 03) 524 8031 - Not exactly in Takaka but near by and a must do activity!
- Walk the Abel Tasman track from wanui Bay to Kaiteriteri.
- Whole Meal Cafe, 60 Commercial St, Takaka, ☎ +64 3 525 9426. Small cafe with a number of organic and vegetarian offerings. edit
- "Anatoki Salmon Fishing & Café" - Great selection of Salmon related food served in a beautiful environment - great value for money - Open Year Round. 242 McCallum Road, Takaka - (03) 525 7251.
- "The Dangerous Kitchen" - Our ‘dangerous kitchen’ is a legendary street-front café’ in the heart of Takaka in Golden Bay. Global flair and warm atmosphere make it a meeting place for colourful locals and people from near and far. Relax outside covered from rain or sun, or in our beautiful back garden with a pint of beer or an Italian wine. 46A Commercial street, Takaka (0)3 525 8686
- Bay Country Lodge@Pohara, ☎ +64 3 525 9438 (firstname.lastname@example.org). edit
- The Sandcastle. 6 self-contained chalets set in a peaceful gardens and native bush. A spa, sauna, and cold dip are available at this relaxing facility conveniently situated between Takaka and the Totaranui beach. edit
- Pohara Beach Top 10 Holiday Park, 809 Abel Tasman Drive, Pohara, RD1 Takaka, ☎ +64 3 525 9500 (toll free: 0800 764 272, email@example.com, fax: +64 3 525 8689), . Beachfront location. Accommodation options include power and tent sites, comfortable, fully equipped standard and kitchen cabins, fully serviced motel units, self-contained units and ensuite cabins. Access facilities available. Qualmark 4 Star plus Holiday Park. $34 - $155. edit
- Adrift Beachfront Accommodation, 52 Tukurua Rd (2 km north of The Mussel Inn), ☎ 03 525 8353, . checkin: 3PM; checkout: 10AM. Five star luxury self-contained cottages. Absolute beach front, right on a quiet, sandy beach. Seasonal rates, up to 50% discount in low season. $190-520. (S 40° 44.167,E E 172° 42.150') edit
- Pukeko Retreat, 75 Motupipi St, Takaka, ☎ + 64 (0)3 5257435, . Pukeko Retreat is a family owned B&B set in a comfortable and homely refurbished 1910 villa in Takaka township with rural outlook. + 64 (0)3 5257435 - Mobile: + 64 (0)274808829 $95-75. edit
- Onekaka - Where the finest beer (Monkey Puzzle) and some of the tastiest grub can be found at the Mussel Inn, about 17 kilometers past Takaka towards Collingwood (great beach). Great place do do a little drinking, eating, making friends and listening to music. There's a glow-worm trail across the way that's just lovely to wander through once you've had a few.