Tairua is a coastal town on the east coast of the Coromandel Peninsula in the North Island of New Zealand. It is a popular destination for summer holidays.
- Drive, State Highway 25 passes through the town centre. The town is situated about 40km south of Whitianga and about 36km north of Whangamata.
- Ferry, catch the short ferry ride from Pauanui across the Tairua Harbour.
- Sail, Tairua is a safe harbour and a good place for stopover.
The surrounding areas are covered in native bush and pine forests, and native bird life is plentiful. Estuaries and rivers are great fun to navigate on kayak.
- Ocean Beach, Ocean Beach Rd. Great for surfing and soaking up the sun.
- Tairua Harbour, Manaia Rd. Children can swim safely in the warm water of the sheltered harbour beaches.
- Paku, Tirinui Cres. Walk to the summit of this volcanic peak which was once a maori pa site for an amazing view of the Pacific Ocean, Tairua Harbour and the Coromandel Ranges.
- Tairua River, Tairua Rd. Excellent for kayaking and other water sports.
- Coromandel Forest Park, Kopu Hikuai Rd. Loads of areas for swimming, walks and trailbike riding in the area.
The harbour and ocean provide an abundance of fresh seafood such as flounder, pipis, cockles, crayfish, scallops and snapper.
- Out of the Blue Cafe, 227 Main Road, 64 7 864 8987. Open 7 days from 8am.
- Blue Water Motel, 213 Main Rd, 64 7 864 8537, fax 64 7 864 8537, . $85-$175 per night based on double occupancy - extra fee for extra occupants.
- Colonial Homestay, 202 Paku Drive, 64 7 864 7743, fax 64 7 864 7743, . $145-$160 per night depending on season.
- Pacific Harbour Lodge, 64 7 864 8581, fax 64 7 864 8858, . $100-$180 per night depending on season and number of occupants.
- Saltwater Lodge, 4 Tui Terrace, 64 7 864 9592, fax 64 9 278 9322, mobile 021 959 911, .
Dmoz:Oceania/New Zealand/Coromandel Peninsula/Tairua