Târgovişte is a city in Muntenia, the capital of the medieval principality Wallachia between 1396 and 1714. Today it has almost 90.000 inhabitants.
There are four Accelerat type trains from Bucharest (travel time is about one hour and half) and three Personal trains (they make the trip in about two hours). Timetables can be checked on infofer.ro  .
There are very frequent buses from Bucharest (leaving every 15 minutes in rush hours), usually starting from an area near Bucharest North train station. Schedules are available on autogari.ro 
The city has a small public transport network consisting of nine bus lines and four minibus lines. A map of the city is available on the city hall website .
- Curtea Domneasca (The Princely Court), strada Justitiei 7, ☎ 0245 613946. A large area that was once the residence of the Wallachian princes, containing the ruins of the main castle (dating from the 15th-17th century), two well preserved churches (one from the 15th century, the other one from the 16th), medieval fortifications etc. edit
- Turnul Chindiei (Sunset Tower). Located in the above mentioned Curtea Domneasca area, the tower (part of the fortifications built by Vlad the Impaler in the 15th century and extremely well restored in the 19th century) is today Târgovişte's best known landmark edit
- National Police museum
- History museum
- Museum of print and books
- Museum of local writers
- The house of the painter Gheorghe Petrascu
- Art museum
- The house of the painter Vasile Blendea
- Tolea Hotel, tirgoviste. 4 star boutique hotel close to centre edit