North West Sydney is the largely residential and industrial suburbs west of the Sydney/North Shore and north of the Parramatta River and to the north west of the city centre. It includes the Hills District area around Castle Hill and Baulkham Hills. Sydney's Silcon Valley is around Macquarie Park, North Ryde and Macquarie University. There are large residential in Ryde, Epping and Carlingford.
Macquarie Park is generally regarded as the newer area around Macquarie shopping centre and extending towards the city including the area around the western end of Delhi rd.
Macquarie Park includes the Australian offices of some very large companies including Microsoft, Optus and Canon.
Macquarie Park would be regarded as being bounded by Epping Rd, the M2 motorway, Macquarie University and Lane Cove National Park.
Macquarie Park was officially designated a suburb and assigned the name on the 5th of Feb. 1999. Northern Suburbs Cemetery (circa 1922) abandoned its earlier name in October 2003 to become Macquarie Park Cemetery.
Lane Cove River Tourist Park, also known as Lane Cove Caravan Park, is also an early establishment in the Macquarie Park area having been a camping ground since the 1940s.
A common problem for older locations in Macquarie Park is the confusion caused by being known as North Ryde and Macquarie Park.
North Ryde is one of the oldest areas of Sydney and includes the traditional residential areas of the postcode 2113.
The Hills District has been gradually metamorphosing from a more-or-less rural area to a part of suburban Sydney over the past 30 years, so you will encounter elements of both lifestyles here. Travelers may be more interested in the rural qualities and, especially, the nearby National and Regional Parks. However, it can be very convenient indeed to have access to the 'creature comforts' of civilization that are right next door in a modern city of more than 4 million people. Once the main vegetable growing region for Sydney, The Hills District continues to be the centre for plant nurseries, both large and small. You can still find vegetables and flowers for sale alongside the road in many places. Lots of people drive out to the northwest on weekends, visiting antique shops and art galleries and checking out the local markets. Increasing numbers of private schools, alternative centres, churches, etc. have re-located here. Traffic is therefore steadily increasing, but most of the the area still has a rural feel, especially at its outer edges. In short, you can enjoy the bush and still have wireless internet and a good cappuccino!
Official Tourist Information
- Sydney Hills Visitor Information Centre  - located at 'The Pines' (which includes the 1856 Roughley House) 656A Old Northern Road, Dural, NSW 2158. Tel: +61-2-9651-4411. Free tourist information about the area.
The area is connected to Sydney City by the Gore Hill Freeway, Lane Cove Tunnel and M2 Motorway. Travel outside of peak hour if possible, as the roads get congested during the commute hours into Sydney.
CityRail  runs three train lines into Sydney's North West.
Trains on the Northern Line connect the city to suburbs as far south as Meadowbank on the northern side of the Parramatta River, up to Epping, Pennant Hills and Hornsby in the North of Sydney, with trains every fifteen minutes. The suburbs of Eastwood and Epping are also served by regular intercity trains on the Newcastle and Central Coast Line which connect Newcastle and the Central Coast with Sydney.
The suburbs of Carlingford, Telopea and Dundas in the west of the Northern Districts are served by the Carlingford Line. Carlingford Line trains do not run directly to and from the city. To get to these suburbs, take a Western Line train to Clyde and change to platform 1. Note that Carlingford Line trains only run once an hour.
The Macquarie Park and North Ryde area is served by a shuttle train service running between Chatswood and Epping, and also stopping at North Ryde (the stop for Lane Cove River Tourist Park) Macquarie Park, and Macquarie University(the stop for Macquarie Shopping Centre).
There is no train service out further. To access the residential areas of Baulkham Hills, Castle Hill, and further afield, you will need to catch a bus from Pennant Hills Station, or Parramatta station.
Buses from the city(departing from the Queen Victoria Building near Town Hall train station also departing from wynyard station and central station) travel frequently out to Macquarie Park, Epping, and the Macquarie Shopping Centre.
The 545 bus also travels between Chatswood train station and Parramatta on a very regular basis.
Outer areas such as the Hills District are less well serviced.( except for all the city buses. 610 610x 612 612x 619 etc etc. but other than that there arent many ways to get to the exact same place.in fact short of 4am you can get a bus from the centre of the cbd to the middle of the hills area about 1 every 10 minutes )The most convenient railway station for the is located at Pennant Hills, however, in general, it's much more convenient to have your own car for traveling around the area. Hillsbus ] services the area. It runs connecting buses to stations at Parramatta, Seven Hills, Pennant Hills. It also runs services directly to the Sydney City.
The transport infoline  will calculate the end-to-end trip details for you.
- Ambarwell Studio & Gallery - 120 year old building with working pottery studio and gallery (in Japanese tradition) at 12 Garemyn Road, Middle Dural, NSW 2158. Tel: +61-2-9651-1361.
- Dural Galleries  - Local, rare and investment art at 937 Old Northern Road, Dural, NSW 2158. Tel: +61-2-9651-2196.
- Dural Musical Society  - Dural Soldiers Memorial Hall at 604 Old Northern Road, Dural, NSW 2158. Tel: 0413-441-813.
- Kenthurst Galleries  - Fine art plus outdoor sculptures at 39 Kenthurst Road, Kenthurst, NSW 2156. Tel: +61-2-9654-2258.
- Koala Park  - If you don't have time to go out a look in the bush by yourself, you can get up close and personal with a koala or kangaroo at the Koala Park Sanctuary. You can see the koalas being fed at 10:20am, 11:45am, 2:00pm and 3:00pm. Admission is $26 adults and $15 children. 84 Castle Hill Road, West Pennant Hills, NSW 2120. Tel: +61-2-9484-3141. Fax: +61-2-9484-8009.
- Berowra Valley Regional Park  - Walking trails leading to the Great North Walk  can be entered at the very end of Quarry Road, Dural, NSW 2158. No motorcycles or dogs allowed.
- Cumberland State Forest  - Walking trails through a eucalypt forest, picnic areas, information centre and forest shop, kiosk and coffee shop, native plant nursery. Free admission. Dogs welcome. 95 Castle Hill Road, West Pennant Hills, NSW 2124. Tel: +61-2-9871-3377.
- Sydney Ice Arena. Conveniently located just 5 minutes from the M2 Motorway and next door to Norwest Markettown Shopping Centre. Sydney Ice Arena is the fun place to go ice skating with unrivaled facilities. It is located at 11 Solent Circuit, Baulkham Hills.
- Calma Connections - 2 Kenthurst Road, Round Corner (Dural Mall). Tel: +61-2-9651-5755. Bowen Therapy, remedial massage, various therapies and meditation sessions. ATMS accredited.
- Dural Golf Driving Range - 260 New Line Road, Dural, NSW 2158. Tel: +61-2-9651-1999. Two tiers of driving bays and lots of parking. Children and families welcome.
- Dural Putt Putt Mini-Golf  - 2 mini golf courses plus coffee shop in a garden setting at Old Northern Road, Dural, NSW 2158. Tel: +61-2-9651-1334.
- Dural Squash and Fitness Centre - 895 Old Northern Road, Dural, NSW 2158. Tel: +61-2-9651- 2511. Lots of facilities for keeping fit. Includes yoga classes.
- Hills Leisure Centre  - Children's playland, indoor climbing, gymnasium, day spa and ten-pin bowling at 10 Hudson Avenue, Castle Hill, NSW 2154. Tel: +61-2-9766-0200.
- Muirfield Golf Club  - at Barclay Road, North Rocks, NSW 2151. Tel: +61-2-9871-1388.
- Swami Sarasvati Health Farm - Yoga, meditation, stress management and Tai Chi with one of Australia's foremost instructors at 183 Pitt Town Road, Kenthurst, NSW 2156. Tel: +61-2-9654-9029. Set on 60 acres of bushland, with a spa, pool, gym and tennis facilities.
- Lane Cove National Park, Plassey rd North Ryde (Enter from Lane Cove rd, Lady Game Dr, Delhi rd or Plassey rd), ☎ 0298889133, . A beautiful national park located close to the city with Lane Cove River running through the heart of it. Ideal for bush walking, cycling and exploring nature. An abundance of native wildlife and historical features. edit
- Berry Good Farms - Hydroponically-grown strawberries at 53 Arcadia Road, Galston, NSW 2159. Tel: +61-2-9653-1511.
- Galston Strawberries - Grown by the Barba family at 359 Galston Road, Galston, NSW 2159. Tel: +61-2-9653-1082.
- Warrah Farm Shop  - Bio-dynamic and organic produce grown and sold to support charity, at 20 Harris Road, Dural, NSW 2158. Tel: +61-2-9651-3869. Open Monday through Friday.
There are several large shopping centres in the area.
- Castle Towers Shopping Centre  - Huge shopping centre in the centre of Castle Hill at 4 Castle Street, Castle Hill, NSW 2154. Tel: +61-2-8858-9700.
- Dural Antiques - 857 Old Northern Road, Dural, NSW 2158. Tel: +61-2-9651-2113. Open Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
- Stewart Antiques - 934 Old Northern Road, Glenorie, NSW 2157. Tel: +61-2-9652-1662. Open Wednesday to Sunday.
- Dural Orchids - 702 Old Northern Road, Dural, NSW 2158. Tel: +61-2-9651-1294. Closed Wednesdays.
- Geranium Cottage- A nursery growing geraniums and petargoniums at 828 Old Northern Road, Middle Dural, NSW 2158. Tel: +61-2-9652-0475.
- Hargraves Nursery - 630 Old Northern Road, Dural, NSW 2158. Tel: +61-2-9651-1833.
- Highland Rose Nursery - 859 Old Northern Road, Dural, NSW 2158. Tel: +61-2-9651-1243.
- Nati Brothers Roses - 790 Old Northern Road, Dural, NSW 2158. Tel: +61-2-9651-1375. Open seven days since 1966.
- Swane's Nurseries  - One of Sydney's most famous plant nurseries, in business 84 years, with coffee shop and gift shop, at 490 Galston Road, Dural, NSW 2158. Tel: +61-2-9651-1322.
- Virginia Farm Woolworks - Fibres, yarns and spinning equipment for the handspinner, felter and weaver at 112 Annangrove Road, Annangrove, NSW 2156. Tel: +61-2-9654-1219.
- Amaroo Seafood Restaurant  - 233 Annangrove Road, Annangrove. Tel: +61-2-9679-0790. Lunch and dinner from Wednesday to Sunday. Breakfast Saturday and Sunday. (On the site of the former Amaroo Park Raceway.) Seafood restaurant.
- Black Stump Restaurant - 243 New Line Road, Dural, NSW 2158. Tel: +61-2-9651-1143. Steak house, not recommended for vegetarians!
- Butterfly Cafe - Has private gardens and running waterways in a rainforest setting. 628 Old Northern Road, Dural, NSW 2158 (next to Hargraves Nursey). Tel: +61-2-9651-1868. Open only Thursday through Sunday.
- Buoni Amici Italian Seafood Restaurant - 83 Annangrove Road, Kenthurst, NSW 2156. Tel: +61-2-9654-0222. Alfresco dining and take away. Pizza and pasta home delivery.
- Cafe Belle Fleur - 609 Old Northern Road, Dural, NSW 2158. Tel: +61-2-9899-7783. Located inside the Flower Power Nursery. Open seven days.
- Cristina's Pizzeria - 14 Kenthurst Road, Round Corner, NSW 2158. Tel: +61-9651-2840. Eat in, take-away and home delivery.
- Dural Country Club  - 662 Old Northern Road, Dural, NSW 2158. Tel: +61-2-9651-4272. Open for lunch and dinner seven days a week. Entertainment by local and international artists.
- Dural Terrace Chinese Restaurant - off the "Roundabout" at 268 New Line Road, Dural, NSW 2158. Tel: +61-2-9651-2271.
- Gallery Two Cafe - 1 Porters Road, Kenthurst, NSW 2156. Tel: +61-2-9654-2233.
- Ironbark Cafe -- within Swanes Nursery at 490 Galston Road, Dural, NSW 2158. Tel: +61-2-9653-9051. Open seven days for breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea. Closed Christmas Day and Good Friday.
- Journey to India Restaurant - 632 Old Northern Road, Dural, NSW 2158. Tel: +61-2-9651-3700.
- Mother Earth Cafe - 1A Annangrove Road, Kenthurst, NSW 2156. Tel: +61-2-9654-1423. Located within plant nursery in an unusual mud brick building with a waterfall cascading off the roof! Open Tuesday through Sunday for breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea.
- Nobles Restaurant and Bar  - Located within The Hills Lodge Grand Mercure at corner of Windsor & Salisbury Roads, Castle Hill, NSW 2154. Tel: +61-2-9680-3800. Offers buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner seven days a week. Log fire, courtyard, children's menu.
- Puddle Cottage - Located within the Hills Garden and Landscape Centre at the corner of Sedger and Annangrove Roads, Kenthurst, NSW 2156. Tel: +61-2-9654-3068.
- Regals' Rendezvous Restaurant - Located in 100 year old cottage at 249 Annangrove Road, Annangrove, NSW 2156. Tel: +61-2-9679-0175. Indoor and outdoor dining, plus bar.
- Secret Garden Cafe - 658 Old Northern Road, Dural, NSW 2158. Tel: +61-2-9651-1188. Located inside the Dural Garden Centre. Open seven days for breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea.
- Tandoori Sizzler Indian Restaurant - 524 Old Northern Road, Round Corner, NSW 2158. Tel: +61-2-9651-4451.
- Waratah Cottage Cafe - Has a log fire in winter and alfresco dining year round at 272 Old Northern Road, Dural, NSW 2158. Tel: +61-2-9651-5690. Open seven days a week.
- Ranch bistro and hotel, Epping rd North Ryde (Near Macquarie Shopping Centre). Great family orientated place to eat with a very large and popular bistro. This place is more bistro than a pub. edit
- Hillside Hotel, 273 Old Northern Road Castle Hill, ☎ (02) 9680 8788, . Hillside Hotel offers patrons both an indoor and outdoor drinking and dining experience with great live entertainment. Relax over dinner in the bistro, grab a quick bite to eat before or after the cinema or simply catch up with friends over a glass of wine. Comfy leather lounges and chilled out background music. Upstairs sleek cocktail lounge. Modern decor. edit
- Dural Hotel Motel, 271 Old Northern Road, Dural, ☎ +61-2-9651-1811. Cozy pub that offers a bottle shop, sundeck bistro, gaming lounge. Has motel accommodation. edit
- Bull and Bush Hotel, Windsor Road, Baulkham Hills. A relaxed, friendly atmosphere. Casual drinking. Basically, your classic Aussie pub. edit
- Crown Plaza Norwest  - 1 Columbia Court, Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153. Tel: +61-2-9634-9634. 132 rooms and two restaurants. Located within the new Norwest development. 24 hour reception desk. Wi-Fi internet in parts of complex. Multi-lingual staff.
- Dural Gardens Bed & Breakfast  - 24 Sagars Road, Dural, NSW 2158. Tel: +61-2-9654-1424. Beautiful modern Georgian style residence set on 5 acres with formal gardens.
- Dural House at Round Corner - Bed and breakfast at 679 Old Northern Road, Round Corner, NSW 2158. Tel: +61-2-9651-5777.
- Dural Village Cabin & Caravan Park  - Self-contained units and cabins as well as sites for caravans and tents, plus swimming pool, kiosk and laundry. 269 New Line Road, Dural, NSW 2158. Tel: +61-2-9651-2555.
- Hotel Ibis - 200 Pennant Hills Road, Thornleigh, NSW 2120. Tel: +61-2-9481-7500. 105 rooms and air conditioning. Wireless internet.
- Lauders Loft Bed and Breakfast  - 14 Blacks Road, Arcadia, NSW 2159. Tel: +61-2-9653-2422.
- The Hills Lodge Grand Mercure  - Boutique hotel at corner of Windsor & Salisbury Roads, Castle Hill, NSW 2154. Tel: +61-2-9680-3800. Includes restaurant and bar.
- Views at Kenthurst  - Bed and breakfast at 182 Pitt Town Road, Kenthurst, NSW 2156. Tel: +61-2-9654-9170. 2 rooms with ensuite. Views to Blue Mountains.
- Lane Cove River Tourist Park, Plassey Rd Macquarie Park NSW (Epping rd end of Delhi rd. Plassey rd is opposite Julius av), ☎ 0298889133, . checkin: 1400; checkout: 1000. Voted the best Caravan Park & Campground in Australia 2008 by the National Tourism Industry. Only 10kms from the Sydney Harbour Bridge and located within the Lane Cove National Park. 300 caravan, campervan and tent sites. 28 fully self-cantained cabins with all linen and towels supplied. Fantastic public transport links. Very friendly and helpful staff. $34 to $145. (33º 47' 19.56S,151º 8' 34.14 E) edit
- Cattai National Park  - First Fleet surgeon Thomas Arndell's 1821 Cattai Farm and surrounds has grassy picnic areas, barbecues and shelter sheds beside the Hawkesbury River, and car-based camping is available year round (bookings essential). Tel: +61-2-9995-5000. Lots of walking tracks and the ruins of a windmill thought to be the oldest industrial building in NSW. About 30-40 minutes drive from the area, located north of Windsor.
- Marramarra National Park  - Well worth a visit, only about a 15 minute drive north of Dural, at the junction of Hawkesbury River and Berowra Creek. Canoeing, camping, bushwalking, picnicking or birdwatching. Tel: +61-2-9995-5000.
- Scheyville National Park  - near Windsor, is about a 30 minute drive. Conserves endangered ecologicial communities and species of the Cumberland Plain and Hawkesbury River catchment. Some colonial remnants and relics from old farms. Tel: +61-2-9995-5000.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!