Yekaterinburg  (Russian: Екатеринбу́рг yee-kuh-tee-reen-BOORK) is the capital of the Urals region of Russia.
With a population of 1.4 million people, Yekaterinburg is the 4th most populous city in Russia after Moscow, Saint Petersburg, and Novosibirsk. The city was founded in 1723 by the order of Peter the Great as a metallurgical factory. It was named after the wife of Peter the Great, Yekaterina. In 1918, the last czar family was imprisoned, and later executed, in a house in Yekaterinburg which was later demolished. During World War II, the city grew rapidly as industries and people moved west to escape the war. Between 1924 and 1991, the town was known as Sverdlovsk (Свердловск), named after Communist party leader Yakov Sverdlov and signs with this name still abound, particularly at the train station.
To this day, the city retains its metallurgical roots and the metal industry is the largest contributor to the economy.
The city is situated near the Ural Mountains, the border of Europe and Asia, and there are several symbolic monuments to mark the border.
| Daily highs (°C)
| Nightly lows (°C)
| Precipitation (mm)
Average of Yekaterinburg
Koltsovo Airport, (IATA: SVX), +7 800 100-03-33, is 18km southeast of the city centre and serves 4.3 million passengers per year. The airport is the base of operations for Ural Airlines. There are direct flights to most major cities in Russia and there are international flights to Minsk, Rome, Sofia, Frankfurt, Munich, Prague, Barcelona, Vienna, Dubai, Tel Aviv, Istanbul, Tashkent, Bishkek, Osh, and Helsinki.
Bus #1 operates between the airport and the city centre every 15 minutes. The journey takes 50 minutes. A taxi to/from the city centre should cost RUB500 for the 25 minute journey.
Ekaterinburg (Sverdlovsk) Station
See also: Trans-Siberian Railway
All Trans-Siberian trains stop at Yekaterinburg-Sverdlovsk Railway Station.
There is also an extensive network of local trains serving the Sverdlovsk Oblast.
Tourist information and maps
You should either buy a street map from one of the many newsstands and shops in the train stations, print out a street map of Yekaterinburg, or pick up a free detailed street map from the Ekaterinburg Tourist Information Service at 8 Marta St. #21, office #2, located in the city center.
By public transport
The public transport system is efficient. There is a tram network that is inexpensive and reliable. Trams can be quite crowded and you can purchase the ticket onboard. Buses and trolleybuses are very crowded during peak hours.
Yekaterinburg has 1 underground metro line, connecting the city centre (stop is near the Circus) to Uralmash — a large industrial and residential area, with a stop near the main railway station. The metro is popular with locals because it is quick and inexpensive, costing RUB23 per ride. The stations are impressive, decorated with native Ural stones, granite and marble.
All stations are open between 6:00 and 24:00. Train frequency on weekdays in rush hour is 4-5 minutes; all other times and weekends it is 8-11 minutes.
The central part of Yekaterinburg has traffic problems. However, you can drive from one side of the city to the other in 30-40 minutes if there is no traffic.
- Church on the Blood, (Near the metro station Dinamo). Church on the Blood built in 2003 at the site of the execution of Tsar Nicholas II and his family. edit
- Ekaterinburg Museum of Fine Arts, 5, Voevodina str (Just south of the Goroskoy Prud, on the west bank of the river), . Some fine works by Russian 18th and 19th century artists, minor artists of the 16th to 18th Century European Schools and some lovely small sculptures and jewelry. RUB50. edit
- QWERTY Monument, (On the river bank near metro station Ploshad' 1905 goda). Easily one of Russia's weirdest attractions is the gargantuan keyboard monument in this city. Big white stones rise from the earth, and as you approach, you see engraved upon them, typical keys like "Q" and "SHIFT." edit
- Circus, (Near the metro station Geologicheskaya (Геологическая)). Richly ornamented building which hosts all sorts of circus shows. Nearby is the abandoned television tower. edit
- Ural State University, (To the east from 1905 square along Lenin avenue), . It's a wonderful building situated in a neighborhood full of beautiful old buildings. Makes for a pleasant stroll in the direction of Square of 1905. edit
- Ural State Technical University, (Take trams 4, 8, 13, 15, 18, 22, 23 or buses 5, 10, 50, 50a to UGTU (УГТУ)), . Another wonderful building. Alma mater of Boris Yeltsin. edit
- Opera and Ballet Theatres. There are many theatres situated in the inner city around Square of 1905. edit
- Shirokorechenskoye Kladbishche Cemetery (Широкореченское Кладбище), (Take buses 14, 22, 24, 37к, 048, 69 to Kontrol'naya (Контрольная)). This is the infamous "Mafia cemetery" where there are dozens of graves ornated with big life-size images in stone of former Mafia members. edit
- Ledovyj Gorodok (Ледовый Городок), (Right on Ploshad' 1905 goda). During New Year's. A whole city block under the eyes of Lenin made out of ice. On the central Square of 1905. edit
Yekaterinburg offers plenty of cross-country skiing. There are some downhill skiing resorts as well. It will take you approximately 25 minutes to get to the nearest of them from the center of the city.
- Limpopo, . The largest water leisure park in Europe. edit
- Yekaterinburg For You English Club, . Every Wednesday at 8:30 PM at Havana Club. Great place to meet other foreigners and local Russians who speak English. RUB300 minimum purchase required. edit
When in Yekaterinburg, make a visit to the "Chinese Market" or Bazaar. The market consists of many hundreds of small outdoor stalls, selling everything from toilet paper to fur coats, all at the best prices in the city. But this kind of market is not really the right place to buy souvenirs. Vaynera Street, in the center of the city, has a lot of shops with a wide range of small things to buy. Usually this street (it's pedestrian only) is called The Urals Arbat, after the famous Arbat in Moscow.
Leather in Russia is considered some of the best in Europe; handbags and wallets are of especially high quality. Gold jewelery, while expensive, is also very good. Markets, such as the Chinese market is good for cheap bargains.
- MEGA Mall  is a huge mall on the outskirts of town owned by the IKEA group; it features tons of Western/international stores including a decent food court. There is a free, bright yellow bus that picks up Ulitsa Kuybysheva, 57 near the center every 15 mins; return trips leave from in front of the OBI store at the mall.
During recent years many new cafés and restaurants have opened in Yekaterinburg, providing the usual mix of Russian/Japanese and Italian food; unfortunately the level of international cuisine is not that high.
- Uralskiye Pelmeny (Ural Pelmens), prospekt Lenina 69, ☎ +7 343 350-71-50. This restaurant serves Russian, Georgian and Uzbek cuisine. The Georgian and Uzbek meals are done in a separate part of the restaurant with suitable waiters and table cloths and the works. The Russian food is served canteen style, where you choose the dishes you want from a smorgasbord, and pay at the end of the buffet. The Russian food is nothing special but it is filling, the ingredients are fresh and it's cheap. edit
- Pizza Mia, Vaynera St 12. A cheap Italian fast-food place. You will notice that most of the people eat potatoes with some pink souce. edit
- Dacha (Дача), At the corner of Prospect Lenina 20 and Khokhryakova St, ☎ +7 343 379-35-69. This restaurant is vaguely reminiscent of the Mari Vanna restaurant of Moscow for its decor and its cozy atmosphere. Good Russian food is available with the usual European and Asian alternatives. Perfect for a date, a discrete business meeting or for lunch with colleagues. edit
- Paparazzi, Prospekt Lenina 23 (At the 3rd floor of the Europa commercial centre), ☎ +7 343 253-70-80, . Offers Italian cuisine. If you are Italian you will probably prefer to try something else but for all others it should be ok. Deco of the restaurant is nice , food is good, not too many people. edit
- Caffe Del Mare, Vostochnaya St 7g, ☎ +7 343 229-42-29, . A trendy cafe offering a Russia's typical mix of Italian, Japanese and Russian dishes. Located a bit out of the city centre. edit
- Il Patio/Friday's/Planeta Sushi. A franchise that you will find across all Russia. The offer respectively Italian, American, and Japanese accessible cooking. Food is reasonably priced and always ok. edit
- Noble House, 8 Borisa Yeltsina St (At the 2nd floor of the Hyatt Hotel), ☎ +7 343 253 1234 (firstname.lastname@example.org). Offering South-East-Asian cuisine. Sunday Brunch every two weeks from 12:00 noon to 3:00 pm. Very sophisticated environment , good to impress a date or to quietly discuss. It is the only place in town where you will be able to taste some spicy food. Portion are generous at the contrary of what you would expect. Not the best oriental food you will try, but for sure the best of this kind in Ekaterinburg. edit
- La Cucina, 8 Borisa Yeltsina St (At the 2nd floor of the Hyatt Hotel), ☎ +7 343 253 1234 (email@example.com). offers Mediterranean-style and Russian favourite dishes in a modern and colourful setting. Excellent view on the river. Very good place for business lunch. edit
- Troekurov (Троекуровъ), Malysheva St 137, ☎ +7 343 378-81-18. This place of Russian cuisine is very similar to the Pushkin cafe in Moscow, but without its atmosphere, it's location, and its clientele. This is the restaurant for a big closing dinner, for official situations (Medvedev and Angela Merkel were guests at this restaurant). Unfortunately you will find it empty most of the time, which gives you a sense of exclusivity but suggests that maybe you are overpaying for your food. edit
- Tinkoff brewery, 64 Krasnoarmeiskaya ul., ☎ +7 343 287-04-04, . A bar and restaurant, which does a fantastic business lunch as well as a special drink offer for around Rub 500 on Sunday/Monday/Tuesday. Very good atmoshere, a lot of young people, sometimes live music. Better to book in advance during the weekends. edit
- Doctor Scotch, Malysheva St 54a, ☎ +7 343 371-43-63, . Very large pub attracting crowds at weekends. After the midnight there is a lot of drunk people, music, a little dance floor near the bar. Worth a visit. edit
- Jame's Pub, Mamina Sibiryaka St 58. edit
- Old Dublin Irish Pub (Stariy Dublin), Khokhryakova St 23 (Located in the city center near 1905 Square between Lenina St. and Malisheva St.), ☎ +7 (343) 3765173, . 12 - 2am Daily. A popular Irish pub on two floors. Good food and a very friendly, cosy atmosphere. English speaking staff. Seems to be 'the' place to go, to chat and get to know the locals. Check it out.. edit.
- Rosy Jane, Prospekt Lenina 32-34, ☎ + 7 343 371-06-07, . edit
- Havana Club, Mamina Sibiryaka St 36, ☎ +7 343 355-94-14, . An extremely popular place in the city and among elves edit
- Hills 18/36, Bazhova st, 193. A little disco in the ground floor of an hotel. It's some sort of elegant place. edit
- Gold Club, Tkachey st, 9, ☎ +7 343 254-85-85, . edit
- Alibi, Malysheva st, 74, ☎ +7 343 350-06-90, . It's a pub very busy after midnight. Better book a table if you are not alone. There is a small dance floor...it is impossible to avoid rubbing each others face! edit
You can pay hourly rates at the resting rooms (Komnaty Otdykha) at the main train station. To get there, walk to the eastern end of the station to the last and small set of glass doors. First door on the right should lead you to a set of stairs which will take you there.
- BM Hostel Yekaterinburg, Pushkin 2A, 2nd floor (City center), ☎ +7 982 6337012 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . checkout: 12:00. Clean hostel with helpful staff. Dorm bed: RUB450-650; Laundry service: RUB50. edit
- Discovery Hostel, 31 Radischeva str. (entrance is from Khokhryakova str.), (email@example.com), . checkin: 2PM; checkout: Noon. Nice view! Dorm bed: From RUB400. edit
- Europe Asia Yekaterinburg Hostel, Tchaikovskogo 75/216 (10 minute walk from Metro Station «Chkalovskaya»), ☎ +7 343 2102884 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . checkin: 2PM; checkout: Noon. 2 kitchens with all the necessary utensils. from RUB500. edit
- Indie Hostel Yekaterinburg, ul. Belinskogo 85 (bus stop «Dekabristov-Belinskogo». Turn inside the yard through the barrier and then turn left. Go upstairs and about 50 meters straight. You need the third white door of the red building. Dial «53»), ☎ +79221813185, . checkin: 1PM; checkout: 12:00. A small intimate hostel with 8-bed dorm and twin room. Rooms are spacious and bright. Comfortable beds, soft blankets, clean linen and towels are available. Free-of-charge Wi-Fi, ironing facilities, washing machine and hairdryer, security lockers. The kitchen is equipped with oven, microwave, fridge. There is a booking exchange service for book lovers. A tour desk, free city maps and friendly staff. Dorm bed: From RUB550. (56,822631,60,619242) edit
- Omnomnom Hostel (Omnomnom Хостел Екатеринбург), Vaynera 60, Apartment 26 (From Metro station Geologicheskaya, walk east on Lubishevsky street and then north on Vaynera. It's at the end of the street, in a big apartment building on the 8th floor. The entrance door is behind the restaurants, and isn't marked), ☎ +7 982 6737477 (email@example.com), . checkin: 2PM; checkout: Noon. Best to call in advance and make reservations as there isn't always someone present to open the door. Beautiful dorms overlooking the Circus. 6 bed dorm: RUB500. edit
- Atrium Palace Hotel, Kuibyshev St., 44, . edit
- DoubleTree by Hilton Ekaterinburg City Centre, Lenina 9a, . edit
- Green Park Hotel, Narodnoi Voli St., 24, . edit
- Moskovskaya Gorka Hotel, Moskovskaya St, 131, ☎ +7 343 310-00-30, . edit
- Novotel Yekaterinburg Centre, Engelsa St., 7, . edit
- Hotel Onegin (firstname.lastname@example.org), Rozy Luxemburg, 49, ☎ +7 343 310 38 38, 8 800 100 10 38, . checkin: 12.00; checkout: 12.00. There are 142 guestrooms located at the Onegin Hotel Yekaterinburg. The hotel offers standard, studio and suite room options. Amenities include, Wi-Fi, air conditioning, telephone, mini-bar, private bath and bathrobe. edit
- Ramada Yekaterinburg Hotel & Spa, . edit
- Voznesensky Hotel, Mamina-Sibiryaka St., 52, . edit
- Vysotsky Hotel, Malysheva Street 51, 37th floor, . edit
- Hyatt Regency Ekaterinburg, 8, Borisa Yeltsina St, ☎ +7 343 253 1234 (email@example.com), . 296 rooms & suites with views of Cathedral-on-the-Blood and Iset River. Amenities: ergonomic work area, open bath concept, wireless internet access, tea and coffee making facilities. Regency Club Lounge for free continental breakfast, cocktails and hors d'oeuvres. edit
- Park Inn by Radisson Ekaterinburg Hotel, Mamina-Sibiryaka 98 - 620075 Ekaterinburg - Russia, ☎ +7 (343) 216 60 00 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . The Park Inn Ekaterinburg is located in the city centre, 20 kilometres from Koltsovo International Airport and nearby shopping and the business district. There is easy access to various attractions, including the Philharmonic Hall and the Literary Quarter. edit
- Armenia, Moskovskaya St 46, ☎ +7 343 212-74-01, 212-75-14. edit
- Austria, Turgeneva St, 16 / Pervomayskaya street, 13, ☎ +7 343 350-05-03 (email@example.com, fax: +7 343 358-99-01), . M-F 9AM-6PM, persons 10AM-4PM. edit
- China, Chaikovskogo St, 45, ☎ +7 343 253-5780, consul issues - +7 343 253-5778 (fax: +7 343 253-5784). edit
- Democratic Republic of the Congo, Gogolya St, 15, ☎ +7 (343) 377-6338, 355-9210. edit
- France, Ofc #401, 22 Karla Libknekhta St, ☎ +7 343 253-00-81. M-F 9:30AM-1PM, 3PM-6PM. edit
- Bulgaria, Greece, Malta, Netherlands, and Spain (EU Visa Center), Karla Libknekhta St, 22, Ofc 313, ☎ +7 343 278-24-19. 9AM-4PM. edit
- Latvia (Visa service provided by Consulate of Hungary), Gogolya street, 15A, ☎ +7 343 355-92-54, 310-10-06 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +7 343 355-92-55). 10AM-5PM. edit
- Canada, Gogolya St, 15A, ☎ +7 343 31-00-136 (email@example.com). 10AM-5PM. edit
- Ganina Yama (Ганина Яма). You can visit this wooden monastery semi daily by bus tours offered right in front of the main train station building. It is situated in the north direction from the city, near the village Shuvakish (Шувакиш). You can get there by train from the main station in the direction Nizhni Tagil (Нижний Тагил). When you get off the train, go to the bridge over railways and turn right (not to the station). From the bridge turn to the right again, go, go, go and after a while you will get to the asphalt road. There turn left and go some two kilometres. edit
- Europe & Asia border monument, (Take a tour or buses 150 or 180). There are semi-daily tours offered from the main train station. If you can't make a tour, you can take bus 150 from the northern bus terminal (Северный Автовокзал) near metro station Uralskaya (Уральская). Buy your ticket for the 150 at ticket counter no. 13 (for Pevoural'sk) which is outside the main ticket hall. The 150 runs about every 20 minutes and takes about 40 minutes. Ask the driver to let you get off at the old border monument. This is common practice. (On the highway the bus speeds past the new border monument which is much less impressive - look right five minutes outside the city.) When you first get off the bus, there is a small (somewhat historical-looking) stone monument that has a red brick line where the border is. To get to the main monument, follow the tarmac path up through the wood for five minutes and you will get to a tall impressive monument where the tour buses go on the big tour. This is where Czar Alexander II is said to have stopped and opened a bottle of wine in 1837. It is a spot for weddings, so usually you will find a bride or two. After you are done taking pictures, go back down the tarmac path, cross to the other side of the highway and signal a bus driver to pick you up. Buses 150 or 180 take you back, however 180 takes you only near metro station Tsirk (Цирк). If no bus driver happens to be willing to pick you up outside a bus stop (though this is common practice), you can walk into Pervoural'sk. If you decide to walk without attempting to flag down a bus, then turn right at the big monument and walk along the small road, which joins the main road just before the town - this saves about ten minutes walking. Bus 150 stops at the first bus stop you encounter in Pevoural'sk, to take you back to Yekaterinburg. RUB50 (bus 180) or RUB87 (bus 150 in 2014) one-way, or RUB300 and upwards with a tour. edit
- Deer Streams National Park (Prirodniy Park Olenji Ruchji), Nizhnie-Serginskiy rayon, posyolok Bazhukovo (150 km W from Ekaterinburg, take tour or by bus/train), ☎ +79022550062 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . A hiking tour in a national park "Deer Streams". A picturesque river, cliffs, deepest cave of Sverdlovkaya Oblast region, beautiful forest. A very popular place to go among Russians both in summer and winter. Several different routes to choose from, depending on difficulty. To get by bus: take any bus that goes to Mikhailovsk (Михайловск), Arty (Арти), Urmikeevo (Урмикеево), Tulgash (Тюльгаш). Leave at the "prirodniy park Olenji Ruchji" stop. Then walk 2 kilomiters according to sign directions. By train: from the central train station take a suburban train to Druzhinino (Дружинино). From Druzhinino take another train to Bazhukovo (Бажуково). From Bazhukovo station — it is 5 minutes walk to the Park. The train goes 3 times/day. The road by bus takes 2,5 hours. By train: 4 hours> entry ticket RUB100. edit
|Routes through Yekaterinburg
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!