Sutton is a town of 1,011 people (as of 2000) in West Virginia. It's located in Braxton County, which is known as "the Geographic Center of West Virginia". Sutton was first settled in 1792, and incorporated in 1860, having been named in honor of one of the early settlers. The area is noteworthy for its Civil War heritage, as well as the Braxton County Monster (aka the Phantom of Flatwoods), a green space alien with fiery red eyes and a pungent odor that reportedly frightened a group of local residents in September 1952 and remains one of the most famous creatures in UFO lore.
Sutton is on I-79 and US-19, south of Clarksburg and Weston, just north of the spot where I-79 splits west toward Charleston while US-19 heads south to Summersville.
The Elk River Railroad runs between Gilmer and Hartland, stopping in Gassaway, Shadyside and Frametown on the way.
The nearest major airports are in Clarksburg and Charleston, but the Braxton County Airport (Airport Road, 304-765-9031) is also capable of handling light twin-engine aircraft on its 4,000-foot runway.
- Gassaway Cabs, 201 River Street in Gassaway, 304-364-5272.
- Sutton Cabs, 206 Main Street, 304-765-5004.
- The downtown Sutton historic district is roughly bounded by Main Street, River View Drive and First Street. Walking tours are available.
- Although the county as a whole lays claim to the title, the nearby town of Flatwoods is the precise geographical center of West Virginia.
- Mountain Lakes Amphitheater, 2000 Sutton Lane, 866-700-7284, . Live al fresco musical performances.
- Landmark Studio for the Arts, 4th Street and Main Street, 304-765-3766 or 304-765-3462, . Musicals, plays, dinner theatres, dramatic readings, presentations and exhibits. Home to the West Virginia Landmark Players and the Landmark Youth Theatre Project, located in a converted historic Victorian era church. $4 - $8, season subscriptions $65 - $155.
- ELK THEATRE, 192 Main Street, 304-765-2519. CALL FOR CURRENT FILM. One screen, showing current releases on weekends. Open Year-round. Concession Stand. Admission $6.00. Seating Capacity 250. Circa 1930's. Contributing building in Downtown Sutton Historic District
- Bulltown Historic Area, Millstone Run Road off WV-19 in Burnsville, 304-853-2371 or 304-452-8170, . Open 10AM to 6PM daily, mid-May to mid-October. Civil War battlefield, featuring preserved trenches, structures dating to the mid-1800s, a mile-long self-guided trail, and a visitor's center with costumed interpreters and exhibits. The Battle of Bulltown is re-enacted each fall.
- Sutton Lake, Sutton Dam Road, 304-765-2816, . 1,500-acre lake offering bass, catfish and trout fishing; swimming; boat launch ramps; and the 210-foot-high Sutton Dam, completed in 1961.
- Burnsville Lake, WV-5 east of Burnsville, 304-853-2371, . 968-acre lake offering fishing, swimming, guide services, boat launch ramps, full-service marina, small game hunting, and the Burnsville Dam. Camping available.
- Mid-Mountain Lanes, exit 67 off I-79, 304-765-2811. Bowling alley with on-site restaurant.
- Mountain Lakes Amphitheater hosts a summer full of the best entertainment in West Virginia. Visit us at 
- ELK THEATRE, 192 Main Street, 304-765-2519. CALL FOR CURRENT FILM. Escape for a couple hours, visit the Elk Theatre. Open Year-round. Concessions. Admission $6.00.
Braxton Citizens' News, 304-765-5193, .
Braxton Democrat Central, 304-765-5555, Serving Braxton County, West Virginia since 1883.
- Flatwoods Factory Outlet Stores, 250 Skidmore Lane, 304-765-3300, . Open 10AM to 9PM Monday through Saturday, and 12PM to 6PM on Sunday, April through December; in winter, stores close at 6PM Sunday through Thursday, and 9PM Friday and Saturday. Save up to 70% on quality merchandise from over 20 stores, including Fenton Art Glass, clothing, gifts and the Flatwoods Farmers Market.
- Poplar Forest, 82 Skidmore Lane, 304-765-3995, . One of West Virginia's finest and most diverse cooperatives, representing over 200 juried artists and craftsmen of Central Appalachia: glass, quilts, pottery, furniture, books, West Virginia food and wine, baskets, bowls, hand forged ironware, dulcimers, mountain music, toys, dolls and more.
- Lost Road Candles, 252 Skidmore Lane, 304-765-4044 or 877-273-2888, . Embellished, heavily-scented candles in coffee, pie and fruit scents, flower and herb scents, and holiday or special occasion varieties.
- Nanny's Primitives, 89 Skidmore Lane, 304-765-3636, . Handmade primitive furniture, primitive candles, accents, decor, primitive tea-dyed quilts, wall hangings, stoneware, handmade rugs, lighting and more. You can also buy a statuette of the Braxton County Monster.
- Everything Fiesta, 52 Skidmore Lane, 304-765-5383, . 1st and 2nd quality Fiesta, decorated Fiesta items, and accessories such as Fiesta linens, glasses, flatware, and much more.
- Sisters' Antique Mall, 1954 Sutton Lane, 304-765-5533. Antiques and flea markets.
- Bear Heaven, exit 67 off I-79 (adjacent to the Sunoco), 304-765-7993, . Open 8AM to 10PM daily. West Virginia's largest Boyds Bear dealer with a distinguished Platinum Plus status; also offering gifts, souvenirs, novelties, scented candles and candle crumbs.
- Summer Hollow Pottery, WV-1 in Frametown, 304-364-5527, . Unique handcrafted pottery including mugs, teapots, bowls, vases, pitchers, candlesticks, piggy banks, prayer boxes and more.
- Cafe Cimino, 400 4th Street, 304-765-2913 or 877-9-CIMINO (924-6466), . Open 5 to 10PM Tuesday through Saturday; reservations recommended. Serving fine Italian cuisine and other European specialties. $10 - $32.
- China Buffet, 245 Skidmore Lane, 304-765-7468. All-you-can-eat buffet with appetizers, main courses and desserts, as well as an abundant menu.
- Giovanni's Pizza, in Burnsville, 304-853-2001. Italian cuisine, including pizza and spaghetti.
- Town Square Cafe & Restauraunt, 400 4th Street in Sutton, WV. 304-750-2086. We have a large variety menu that you are sure to love. Our Menu - 
- Waffle Hut, 2118 Sutton Ln, (304) 765-2775. OPEN 24 HOURS Located On I-79 At Exit 67 Flatwoods. Home Cooked Food, Great Food and Service. Very Affordable Prices. Meeting Room Available for Large Groups. EXXON Gas Station.
- Vae's Diner (Ole City Diner), 517 Elk ST, ☎ 304-364-2326. all week. Family Cookin Done right Great Low. edit
- Conrad Motel, 100 Conrad Court in Glenville, 304-462-7316 or 866-462-7316. $42 - $52.
- Elk Hostel, 200 Main Street, 304-765-5960. 1 unit including 6 sleeping rooms, kitchen and commons room. $140 night, $750 week.
- Elk Motor Court, 35 Camdon Avenue, 304-765-7173, . 12 rooms, 3 campsites.
- Laurel Court Motel, 1321 Sutton Lane, 304-765-7301. Motel rooms and 14 chalets.
- Motel 79, 102 S Main Street in Burnsville, 304-853-2918. $35.
- Sutton / Flatwoods Days Hotel, 2000 Sutton Lane, 304-765-5055 or 866-700-7284, . 200 rooms. Indoor pool, outdoor pool, sauna, exercise room. On-site Visions Restaurant and gift shop featuring quality West Virginia merchandise. $60 - $140.
- Sutton Lane Motel, 2120 Sutton Lane, 304-765-7351. 30 rooms, microwave, fridge, HBO, wifi.
- Flatwoods RV Park, 2000 Sutton Lane, 866-700-7284, . 50 lots. Electric, water and sewer service. Reservations are booked at the Days Inn. $30.
- Microtel Inn and Suites, 115 Reston Place, 304-364-6100, . Offer guests free local and long distance calls within the continental United States, and free high-speed wireless (wifi) Internet access in all of the hotel rooms.
Café Cimino Country Inn- a 9 room B&B with a gourmet restaurant, full bar, spa services, gift shop, cigar shop 304-765-2913
- Weston is about 40 minutes north on I-79.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!
WikiPedia:Sutton, West Virginia