Sultan Battery is a town in Kerala in India.
The town in olden days served as a military post of Tipu Sultan and the Sultan had a battery placed here, hence the name Sultan Battery. The town was previously called Hennaradu Peedike (Twelve Shops). The town is at an altitude of 930 meters. The place is famous for its Jain temple.
Sultan's Battery is almost centrally located between Mysore and Calicut.
The nearest airport is Kozhikode International Airport. A new airport is being established at Mysore.
From both Mysore and Calicut, Sultan Battery is reachable by bus in around 3-4 hours.
The nearest railway station is Calicut at a distance of 98 km.
Sultan Battery is 98 km from Calicut on the Calicut Kollegal NH 212. The town is also connected by road to Ooty (100 km), Mysore (115 km) and also Nilambur. Buses run from these places.
Taxis can be hired. Jeeps or any four wheel drive vehicles would be good to negotiate the tough terrain.
- Bathery Cathedral, (Chungam, 1 km from the center of town). The oldest Malankara Orthodox Christian settlement began in the 1915's. edit
- Ganapati Temple. The major Hindu Palce of Worship. edit
- Masjid Madeena. Juma Masjid in town. edit
- Jain Temple. The temple is believed to be built in the 13th century was a palce of commerce and worship until Tipu Sultan made it his military hangout where he placed a battery and hence the name Sultan Battery. Also known as Tippu's Fort. edit
- St. Mary's Orthodox Cathedral. edit
- Mariyamman Temple. Patronised by the local tribes. edit
- Battery Jumaa masjid, (The masjid is situated near the Sulthan Bathery town bus stand). This is the biggest jumaa masjid in the town and it can hold more than 1000 worshippers. edit
- Edakkal Caves. This location of breathtaking beauty in the Ambukuthy Mountain is not a cave in the real sense. As stated in the India Antiquary, it is only a cleft about 96 ft long and 22 ft wide in the rock. It is a fissure made by a corner of rock splitting off from the main Entrance to Edkal Cavesbody due to some natural causes. The depth of both the cleft and the fissure is 30 ft. What makes it a cave to the ordinary observer is the fact that in the other portion of the large cleft, an enormous rock, weighing several tonnes, has fallen forming a roof over a large part of it. The rock wall contains some interesting carvings, which represent human and animal figures and objects of human use and symbols. These carvings speak of a highly civilized people of pre-historic age and inspires the archaeologists and historians to rewrite the history of Wayanad and Kerala as a whole. The caves accessible only by a 1 km trekking trail from Edakkal. edit
- Panaraman Jain Temple, (5 km northeast of Panamaram). edit
- Kuruva Dweep, (40 km northwest of Sultan Bathery). 950 acres of ever green forest on the tributaries of east flowing river Kabini, is an ideal picnic spot, far away from the disturbances of city life. The island is uninhabited. Rare species of birds, orchids and herbs are the sovereigns of this supernal kingdom. As a precaution do not stay on this island after dusk. edit
- Kanthapara Waterfalls, (12 km south-east of Kalpetta). A 30 m high waterfall. edit
- Muthanga Wildlife Sanctuary. Spread over a vast area, Muthanga is a part of the Nilgiri Biosphere region. It is a rain forest reserve connected to two major sanctuaries - Bandipur National Park in Karnataka and Mudumalai Sanctuary in Tamilnadu. Muthanga has a large population of pachyderms, and has been declared a Project Elephant Site. The reserve is also home to a small population of tigers. In addition there is also a profusion of birds, butterflies and insects. edit
- Pakshipathalam, (7 km north-east of Thirunelly temple). It is a bird sanctuary accessible only be trekking. To visit this place, special permission needs to be obtained from the forest department. edit
- Pazhassi Raja Tomb. Memorial of the Lion of Kerala Veera Pazhassi Raja, who organized a guerrilla warfare against the British East India Company. edit
- Thirunelly Temple, (29 km northeast of Mananthavady under the Brahmarigi hills in the reserve forests). Often called Thekkan Kasi. It is believed that a bath in the holy water of Papanasini will wipe off all the sins. Apart from the temple, Thirunelly is a place of scenic beauty. Its Famous for its architecture, the shrine is shielded with 30 granite on the bank of Papanasini river. Pakshipathalam, an interesting trekking centre, is 7 km away from the temple. edit
- Tholpetty Wildlife Sanctury, (20 km east of Mananthavady), ☎ 04935-250853. 6AM-8AM, 3PM-5:30PM. Wide variety of animals. Permitting authority Asst. Wildlife Warden, Tholpetty. edit
- Banasura Sagar Dam - It is the largest earthen dam in India and the second largest in Asia, and an ideal starting point for hikes into the surrounding scenic mountains.
- Ambukuthi Mala, (12 km from Sulthan Bathery). These three caves are located at a height of 1,000 m (3,281 ft) on Ambukuthi mala near Ambalavayal. From Edakkal, you have to walk 1 km to reach Edakkal Caves. One can see the new stone age pictorial writings on the walls of these natural caves. edit
- Thovarimala, (5 km from Sulthan Bathery). One can go trekking 400 m to reach Thovarimala Ezhuthupara where one can see stone age pictorial writings on a rock. edit
- Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary, Muthanga. edit
The place is known for spices, tea and condiments and for the local handicrafts.
- Funstay (Homestays In wayanad), Wayanad Kerala, ☎ 08287039039, . Book best homestays in Wayanad. Select from more than 70 homestays. edit
- KN's Villa (KN's Villa), NH 212, Meenangadi,Wayanad,Kerala, ☎ 91 9496370091 (firstname.lastname@example.org). Located beside National Highway 212, A fully furnished Serviced Villa edit
- WayanadHome Budget Resorts (Wayanad Budget Resorts), WayanadHome, ChettiMoola,Sultan Battery,Wayanad,Kerala, ☎ +91-4936-212065, 09388448374 (email@example.com), . edit
- SunBird Garden Resort, Kolagappara,Wayanad, ☎ +91-4936-314621,09946405089 From this ‘Sunbird’s Nest’ you can enjoy the view of the spice garden and also the view of the Rock, which is particularly beautiful at Sunsets. Tree house, Ayurveda rejuvenation, Conference Hall, Restaurant, Outdoor and indoor games, Swimming pool, Camp fire, Fishing, Trekking, Cultural programs, . edit
- PPS Tourist home, Kalpetta, ☎ +91-4936-203732. From Rs 250. edit
- Haritagiri Ecotel, Kalpetta, ☎ +91-4936-203145 - 48, . edit
- The Woodlands, Main road, Kalpetta, ☎ +91-4936-202547, . edit
- Chandragiri Inn, Main road, Kalpetta, ☎ +91-4936-203049, . edit
- Raincountry Resorts, Lakkidi, ☎ 9447004369 / 9447245288 / 09287576617. edit
- Affas Tourist home, Main road, Kalpetta, ☎ +91-4936-205185. edit
- The Resort, Sulthan Bathery, ☎ +91-4936-220512. edit
- Dwaraka Tourist Home, Sulthan Bathery, ☎ +91-4936-220358. edit
- M.G.T International, Main road, Kalpetta, ☎ +91-4936-202705. edit
- Hiliya Resort, Kenichira, ☎ +914936211575, . edit
- Orchard Holiday Resort, Lakkidi, Vythiri, Wayanad (60 Kms East Of Calicut), ☎ +91 97464 58955, . checkin: 12 Noon; checkout: 11 AM. Rs 3,000+. (11.3N,76.01E) edit
There are few good hotels
- Indian Coffee Hotel. Food is good there, too. edit
- Green leaves Habitat, Sulthan bathery (Opp st Marys College), ☎ 0944647635, . A lovely home stay with all felicities and committed to the principles of responsible tourism. Rs 2,500. edit
- Green Gates Hotel (luxury 3 star hotel), T. B. Road, Kalpettea (280 kms. from Bangalore; 140 kms. from Mysore & 72 kms. from Calicut), ☎ +914936202001/2/3/4, . checkin: 1PM; checkout: 11.00AM. Located on a hillock. A three star hotel. All cottages and rooms here are elegantly appointed. The in-house facilities include a games parlor with pool table, table-tennis, carrom, chess, darts, a state of the art fitness center, an ayurvedic spa, children's play area, a meticulously maintained garden and a swimming pool. The service at the hotel is good. Rs 2,750. edit
- Pugmarks Jungle Lodge, Ammani Vayal (On the way to Kuruva Dweep), ☎ 94475 46386, . Jungle lodge with lots of wildlife sightings. Rs 3,500. edit
- Pepper Green Resorts (Wayanad Resort), Near Kuruva Island, Palvelicham, Kartikulam Mananthavady, ☎ +91 4935 251 110, . 8 eco friendly cottages built in bamboo. An undisturbed hamlet in the lap of nature. Rs 3,000-5,000. edit
- Planet (Kalpetta), Manjilam Kolli Road, Chuzhali, Via KSRTC bus Depot, Kalpetta town (3 Kms from Kalpetta bus stand), ☎ 9746728260, . checkin: noon; checkout: 11AM. Located inside a coffee plantation, surrounded by acres of tea estates. Rooms face the majestic Chembra Peak. Emerald hills surround this picturesque resort. The resort is built in estate house style on pillars in a sloping hill. There are two blocks consisting of five rooms each with separate entry. Deluxe cottage Rs 3,000, premium suites 4,000. edit
- Eddakal Hermitage, (Near eddakal caves, can be reached on the way to Eddakal Caves), ☎ 4936 221860, 91 4936 260123 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Rs 3,500-4,000. edit
- Pappy's Resort (wayanad resorts), Kenichira P.O, Sultan Bathery, Wayanad – 673 596, Kerala – India, ☎ +91 98472 73157 , +91 9895755641 (email@example.com), . edit