Suchitoto is a town in El Salvador.
Wherever you are coming from within El Salvador, you will likely have to pass through either San Salvador or San Miguel on your way to Suchitoto.
- From San Salvador, take a direct bus (#129) from Terminal Oriental. The last bus leaves around 6pm, takes about 1 hr 30 min, and costs $0.70.
- From San Miguel, take a bus in the direction of San Salvador and ask for the Suchitoto stop in San Martin (a small city on CA-1 close to San Salvador). Make sure they know you are headed to Suchitoto and they will drop you at or near the (tiny and unassuming) bus stop. The bus from San Martin to Suchitoto runs roughly every hour until 9pm, costs $1.30, and takes about an hour.
A ferry operates between Suchitoto and San Francisco Lempa across the lake. There is no specific schedule and the ferry operator will set off when he feels he has enough passengers.
The city is small and can easily be seen on foot.
- Los Tercios Waterfall The police offer free escorted tours daily but the Times change.
- Bird Island $30 per boat, guide service is extra.
Indigo dyeing Indigo production was once a main industry for the area, and traditional methods are still practiced. You can visit a gallery and dye your own item at several locations in Suchitoto.
- Arte Añil Gallery: 2398-1072, 7230-1185; Barro El Cabario #26. $25 to dye your own bag, scarf, or t-shirt. Open 7am to 6pm. Best to call ahead to confirm availability.
- Casa de last Mujer: 4a Ave Sur
- Tienda de Artesanias Guanacos
- Pajaro Flor Spanish School, "4a., ☎ "(503), . The only Spanish school in Suchitoto stocks a host of well-trained local teachers and offers flexible classes on short notice as well as extended stays. Classes are intensive, usually 5 days per week, 4 or more hours per day. They also can provide accommodation in the form of homestay with a local family ($15/day with 3 meals), or in a hostal ($18/day with meals). edit
- El Rinconcito del Gringo, Calle Francisco Morazan #27 (Just 2 blocks west of city hall and municipal market), ☎ (503) 2327-2351, . 8 am to 9 pm. This little restaurant and gallery owned by El Gringo Roberto, an expat from California, offers great Tex/Mex food and typical Salvadorean foods. They are open every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The restaurant also has a small art gallery as well as a new hostel. Try their fish or veggie tacos, super burritos or quesadillas. If you want a real treat try the gourmet pupusas, garlic and basil, mushroom and squash just to mention a few. Robert Broz and his wife Tita are happy to provide travel information to those that ask. $1-$5. edit
Have a drink in Cafe Bar El Necio. It's a shrine to the FMLN guerrillas, with lots of posters and memorabilia. Don't be intimidated by the rough look of the place. Tourists have been posing for cool pictures there for years.
- Hostel El Rinconcito del Gringo, Calle Francisco Morazan #27 (Just 2 blocks west of the market), ☎ (503) 2327-2351, . checkin: anytime; checkout: 2:00 pm. Suchitoto's newest hostel offers two private rooms and one large dorm room with four double beds. The private rooms have great beds, a shared living room with cable TV, drinking water and a book exchange. The hostel also provides a complete breakfast for those staying in the private rooms. The owner, Robert Broz (yes, he is Suchitoto's gringo from who the hostel got its name, also offers tours and travelers information. He is a real expert on Suchitoto and El Salvador and better than any guide book. $10/person. edit
- Los Almendros de San Lorenzo, Ph: (503) 2-335 1200, . Historical hotel with suites with air conditioning, gourmet restaurant & bar, tropical gardens & pool.
- La Posada de Suchitlán, Tel. (503) 2335-1064, Fax (503) 2335-1277, . Colonial - like hotel made of adobe and wood.
- Posada Blanca Luna, At the corner of 1a Ave Sur and 1a Calle Ote. (1 block south of the Church), ☎ 2313-9685. This basic hotel offers a good bargain for the money. Each room has two double beds and private bathrooms. $7. edit
- Hostal los Sanchez, 4a Calle Pte. (From the Church, walk one block north then turn right and walk another block down the hill.). The rooms in this hostal are beautiful, spacious, and spotlessly clean . Rooms from $10. edit
- Hostal Vista al Lago, (At the end of 2a Ave Norte), ☎ 2335-1357. checkout: 11am. Very clean rooms and wonderful views of the lake. $15 single, $25 double. edit