Strahan (pronounced "straw-n") is a town in the island state of Tasmania in Australia. It's located on Tasmania's west coast at Long Bay at the northern end of Macquarie Harbour, about 300 km west of the state capital of Hobart, and known as one of the most isolated (and beautiful) parts of Australia. Originally a penal colony, it became a mining port and later an important timber industry and general shipping centre for the area. Strahan is now the main tourist centre for Tasmania's west coast region, the 'gateway' for boats, planes and helicopters taking visitors to the southwest wilderness. There is also a small fishing industry that still operates out of Strahan.
Take the A10 highway from Hobart, via Queenstown. This is about a 300 km drive and takes just under 5 hours.
The West Coast Wilderness Railway  operates as a tourist attraction between Queenstown and Strahan, a distance of 34 km. The ordinary railway connection between Strahan and the rest of Tasmania closed in 1960.
Strahan Airport - Although helicopter and fixed wing flights operate from here for charter flights into the south-west wilderness area, or over locations in western Tasmania, there are currently no regular passenger flights to Strahan from other airports in Tasmania or the mainland. Regional Express (Rex) fly to Burnie daily and Virgin Blue, Jetstar and Qantas flying to Launceston Airport.
- Cape Sorell Lighthouse - Constructed in 1899, 40 metres high and 2.5 metres in diameter.
- Macquarie Harbour Cruises - Tel: 1800 420 155. There are a number of cruises which travel across Macquarie Harbour and up the lower reaches of the Gordon River. River cruises encompass the World Heritage Area, Hells Gates, the local aquaculture industry and Sarah Island.
- Ocean Beach - Desolate and beautiful. 40 km long with large dunes. Waves hitting here have travelled all the way from Patagonia in South America.
- People's Park and Hogarth Falls - At the northernmost end of Strahan Harbour, the Park a mix of natural forest and botanical gardens, with picnic and camping facilities. From here it's a 30 minute walk to the Hogarth Falls through rainforest.
- Sarah Island - Former convict station, dating from 1822. Ruins of buildings still visible.
- Strahan Wharf Centre - Tel: 1800 420 555. Comprehensive display recounting the story of the Tasmanian west coast.
- The Ship That Never Was  - Strahan Visitors Centre, at The Esplanade. Tel: +61-3-6471-7700. Longest running theatre production in Tasmania, the true story of the escape from Sarah Island, by the Round Earth Theatre Company.
- Visitors Information Centre - The Esplanade. Tel: +61-3-6472-6800. Good place to check first. The Government of Tasmania sponsors a web site just for the town of Strahan .
- Water Tower Hill Lookout - Esk Street. Excellent view of town and Macquarie Harbour.
- West Coast Yacht Charters - "Stormbreakers" at The Esplanade. Tel: +61-3-6471-7422. Sailing tours to the Gordon River, etc.
- Gordon River Cruises  - Tel: 1800 420 555. Six hour cruise with professional guides, includes Hell's Gates, Macquarie Harbour, Sarah Island and The Gordon River World Heritage Area.
- There are a range of adventure tours available in Strahan, including Wilderness Air, Wild Rivers Jet Rides, Hell's Gates Wilderness Tours, Seair Adventure Charters, in addition to the various trips around the Gordon River, operated by World Heritage Cruises  and Gordon River Cruises . Details and bookings are available at the Strahan Visitors Centre.
- You can go on the West Coast Wilderness Railway - Fully restored steam railway operating between the mining town of Queenstown and the port of Strahan. The railway has live commentary throughout the journey and professional guides which bring the history of the railway and the towns to life. Bookings essential.
- Wilderness Woodworks Strahan  - 12 The Esplanade. Tel: +61-3-6471-7244. Crafts people using only salvaged and reclaimed Huon Pine to produce original and functional wooden articles.
Several of the small shops in town offer fresh crayfish by request, see the signs posted outside for availability.
- Franklin Manor Restaurant  - The Esplanade. Tel: +61-3-6471-7247. Also a boutique guest house.
- Ormiston House  - The Esplanade. Tel: +61-3-6471-7077.
- The Strahan Village - The Esplanade. Tel: +61-3-6471-4200.
- View 42 - Jolly Street. Tel: +61-3-6471-4200. Seafood buffet restaurant and wine cellar. Open for breakfast and dinner.
- Hamers Bar and Grill - The Esplande. Tel: +61-3-6471-4200. Up market counter meal featuring a variety of Australian dishes. Has a public bar and bottle shop attached.
- Fish Cafe on the Wharf - The Esplanade. Tel: +61-3-6471-4200. Fresh cooked seafood for eat in or take away. Open for lunch or dinner.
- Wild River Pizza and Pasta Bar - The Esplande. Tel: +61-3-6471-4200. Local twist on old favourites, pizza made to order and fresh pasta dishes.
- Hamer;s Hotel - The Esplanade. Tel: +61-3-6471-4200. Public bar featuring cosy log fires and beautifully decorated to showcase the region's maritime history.
- Aloft boutique Accommodation  - 15 Reid Street. Tel: +61-3-6471-8095. Serviced Apartments
- Azzas Cabins - Innes Street. Tel: +61-3-6471-7253.
- Cape Horn Accommodation - Frazer Street. Tel: +61-3-6471-7469. Bed and breakfast.
- Driftwood Strahan Villas in Strahan, 34 Harvey Street, ☎ +61 3 6471 7618 (toll free: 1800 448 189), . Family owned accommodation with 8 fully self-contained holiday apartments. With kitchens and separate bedrooms - ideal for families, couples and business travellers. One villas has Disabled Access facilities.
- Franklin Manor Bed & Breakfast  - The Esplanade. Tel: +61-3-6471-7311. Boutique guest house (14 rooms plus 4 apartments) with restaurant. No smoking.
- Gordon Gateway Chalet - Grining Street. Tel: +61-3-6471-7165. Self-contained cottage.
- Greengate Cottages - 21 Merideth Street. Tel: +61-3-6471-7456. Self-contained cottages.
- Gull Cottage - The Esplanade. Tel: +61-3-6471-7227.
- Harbour Views Apartments 1 Charles Street. Tel: +61-3-6471-7143.
- McIntosh Cottages - 18 Harvey Street. Tel: +61-3-6471-7358.
- Macquarie Heads Camping Ground - at Macquarie Heads. Tel: +61-3-6471-7261.
- Ormiston House Bed & Breakfast  - The Esplanade. Tel: +61-3-6471-7077. Five star accommodation in historic building.
- Regatta Point Holiday Apartments - The Esplanade. Tel: +61-3-6471-7103.
- Risby House - Lot 1, Lodder Street. Tel: +61-3-6471-7340. Holiday units.
- Sailors Rest Apartment - Harvey Street. Tel: +61-3-6471-7237.
- Sharonlee Strahan Villas - Andrew Street. Tel: +61-3-6471-7224. Sharonlee villas offer spacious 2 bedroom self contained apartments set in a garden setting. All villas are ground floor with carports and located close to all the attractions of Strahan.
- Shoalhaven Chalet Bed & Breakfast - 1 Gaffney Street. Tel: +61-3-6471-7400.
- Strahan Colonial Cottage - Reid Street. Tel: +61-3-6471-7612 or +61-3-6471-7019.
- Strahan Holiday Park - 10 Jones Street. Tel: +61-3-6471-7442. Accommodation ranges from large cottages sleeping 6-10 people to deluxe cabins, standard cabins and budget on-site units, all self-contained. Powered & unpowered camping/caravan sites also available. 4 acre site about 150 m from West Strahan Beach.
- Strahan Lodge Bayview Cottages - Ocean Beach Road. Tel: +61-3-6471-7142. Self-contained cottages.
- Strahan Motor Inn - Jolly Street. Tel: +61-3-6471-7160. Also has restaurant.
- Strahan Village Cottages Motel - The Esplanade. Tel: +61-3-6471-7191. Also has restaurant.
- Strahan Youth Hostel - Harvey Street. Tel: +61-3-6471-7255.
- The Piners Loft Apartment - The Esplanade. Tel: +61-3-6471-7036.
- West Strahan Caravan Park - The Esplanade. Tel: +61-3-6471-7239.
- Marsden Court, Andrew Street (Strahan), ☎ +61-3-6471-7724. checkin: 14.00; checkout: 10.00. 8 spacious studio and 4 x 2 bedroom self contained apartments set in landscaped gardens in a secure gated community close to all the attractions of Strahan and this World Heritage area. 125-200.