Stockton is a city in the San Joaquin Valley in northern California.
Located on the San Joaquin Delta, Stockton is the world's most inland natural port and was previously a major port city. One of the larger cities along I-5 and Highway 99 through the Central Valley, it is a convenient stop and offers a variety of restaurants and accommodations for road-trippers. There are several shopping centers and movie theaters, an art museum, a children's museum and a children's small amusement park but few major attractions. Stockton is surrounded by rural farm land that offers a bounty of fresh produce and wine tasting.
The poem "Casey at the Bat," about the losing baseball team, "the Mudville Nine" may be a reference to Stockton, which was referred to as Mudville in its earlier years.
Stockton is home to the Stockton Thunder Hockey Team and Stockton Ports Baseball Team, both of which play next door to each other at the Downtown Stockton Waterfront Events Center featuring the Stockton Ballpark and Stockton Arena.
Stockton is in central California between Interstate 5 and State Highway 99. Stockton is just north of Interstate 205. State Routes 26, 4, and 88 also intersect with Stockton.
Stockton Metropolitan Airport (IATA: SCK)  is a small airport that is served only by Allegiant Air . Larger airports with more connections are located in Sacramento and the San Francisco Bay Area. Unfortunately, the Sacramento airport is on the far northwest side (about 60 miles), rather than between the two cities. Allow plenty of time during the morning and evening commute. Oakland is about 10 miles further.
Stockton is served by two train stations. ACE Rail and Amtrak serves the Cabral Station at 949 E Channel St, and Amtrak also serves Stockton's main train depot at 735 S. San Joaquin St.
Greyhound has a station here
Stockton offers regional transit throughout Stockton via the San Joaquin RTD Express buses and the Downtown Trolleys. The best option, however, is to travel by car.
California's largest inland seaport just south of the crosstown highway. Downtown Stockton has had many new additions including a new ball park (Stockton Ports), Stockton Arena, Bob Hope Theatre and other attractions. Stockton may not be a destination but it's not a bad place to stay at for visits.
- Victory Park, 1001 N Pershing & Argonne Stockton, CA 95203. A beautiful city park in the middle of town. Boasts almost 22 acres of beautiful green grass, palm trees, shade trees, 2 duck ponds, a gorgeous rose garden and anchored by the famous Haggin Museum. Victory Park is one stop fun for feeding the ducks, letting the kids run wild, go a few rounds of tennis, or just get out of the house and enjoy nature in an urban cool kinda way. edit
- Bob Hope Theatre, 242 E Main St. Stockton, CA 95202, ☎ (209) 337-4673, . Upon entering, you come into a beautiful round lobby surrounded by columns and a staircase leading up to the balcony level of the theater. Art deco style on the walls and ceiling. You can see that the community has put a great deal of effort into this restoration and it appeared that every seat in the place had a small plaque attached to it with the name of an individual donor. edit
Stockton has some recreational opportunities available. Stockton is within a few hours' drive of the California Coast, San Francisco, Lake Tahoe and Yosemite National Park and can serve as a rest or rendez-vous point on the way to these locations. The community offers many local recreational opportunities such as professional and college sports teams, an ice rink, and the Delta, which provides thousands of miles of waterways for water skiing, sailing and other water activities. There are also many opportunities to enjoy local music, theater, dance troupes and other cultural activities throughout the year. Stockton has its own symphony and opera company and hosts the Asparagus Festival annually, celebrating the town's agricultural history. The San Joaquin Film Society also hosts a 10-day International Film Festival each year.
If travelling to Stockton with children, be sure to visit:
- Children's Museum of Stockton, 402 W. Weber (near the downtown waterfront, two blocks west of Center Street), ☎ +1 209 465-4386, . $4.50 per person, under two years free. edit
- Pixie Woods, in Louis Park (take Monte Diablo exit and go west to Occidental, turn left at Shimizu, parking lot is on the right — look for the rainbow gates), ☎ +1 209 937-8206, . Stockton's own fairyland for the "young in age and the young at heart". In the movie This is Spinal Tap, Pixie Woods was the venue for a performance whose billboard proclaimed "Puppet Show and Spinal Tap." edit
- Stockton Ports, 404 West Fremont Street, ☎ (209) 644-1900. The local California League minor league baseball team and affiliate of the Oakland Athletics. edit
- Asparagus Festival, 311 E Main St Stockton, CA 95202. This is the event Stocktonians wait for every year! 3 days of music, food, and fun. They hold the festival every year on the last weekend of April. The weather conditions are usually great! You can also join in on the fun! They've got lots of vendor booths where you can enter raffles to win prizes and get free stuff, a hole-in-one golf game, paddle boats, etc! edit
Stockton is home to University of the Pacific and Delta College , a part of the California Community College system as well as an extension branch of CSU Stanislaus.
Sherwood and Weberstown mall have the best shopping in Stockton. Pacific Avenue's section south of Country Club Blvd., an urban revival area dubbed "Miracle Mile," has specialty shops and hair styling businesses.
- Costco Wholesale, 1616 E Hammer Ln Stockton, CA 95210, ☎ (209) 478-2040. edit
- Lincoln Shopping Center, 374 Lincoln Ctr Stockton, CA 95207. edit
- The Miracle Mile, 2540 Pacific Ave Stockton, CA 95202. Down-to-earth, while concurrent with modern trends, it remains rooted & loyal to the people who make this community. Most of these businesses are family owned and operated. edit
- Manny's California Fresh, Pacific Ave. edit
- DaVinci's Italian Cuisine. edit
- Shi Ra Soni. edit
- Sho Mi. edit
- El Senor Frog's. edit
- Tio Pepe's. edit
- Xochimilco. edit
- Misaki. edit
- Raw Sushi. edit
- Papapavlos. edit
- Dave Wong's. edit
- Gian's Deli. edit
- Cocoro Japanese Bistro & Sushi. edit
- Garlic Brothers. edit
- Bob's At The Marina. edit
- Taste of Brittany. edit
- Bud's Dok Shoon's. edit
- Cancun. edit
- Duck Nook. edit
- Chuck's Hamburgers, 6034 Pacific Ave, ☎ (209) 473-9977. The absolute BEST breakfast(and even better prices) edit
- Podesto's Market & Deli. edit
- Dynasty. edit
- Joe Pomodoro Pizza Cafe. edit
- El Fogon. edit
- Peking, 7555 Pacific Ave # 115, ☎ (209) 957-0617. edit
- Yen Du, 702 Porter Ave # E, ☎ (209) 951-3748. edit
- New Yen Ching, 6511 Pacific Ave, ☎ (209) 957-0913. edit
- Matsuyama, 4755 Quail Lakes Dr #C, ☎ (209) 952-0688. Best Japanese/sushi around. edit
- In-N'-Out Burger, 2727 W March Ln (Close to I-5), ☎ (800)786-1000, . Really you can't go wrong at In N Out. They just do burgers and fries and they do it perfectly. The fries ate freshly made not pre-frozen. Though the In N Out is busy, the wait is never over long or unpleasant. Service is fast and always friendly edit
- McDonalds. edit
There aren't many nightspots in Stockton. If you're going to a movie at the downtown movie center, immediately next door is a Japanese restaurant "Misaki" with a small but fun bar.
- Alder Bistro & Catering, 151 West Alder Street, . edit
- AVE on the Mile, 2333 Pacific Ave Stockton, CA 95204, ☎ (209) 462-5283. Great atmosphere, great location, great appetizers, great drinks, great service. edit
- The Abbey Trappist Pub, 2353 Pacific Ave Stockton, CA 95204, ☎ (209) 451-1780, . If you're looking for a laid-back place to drink some quality craft beers and grab on some simple and good food, you've found the place. The Abbey has a wide-range of beers available from several countries. Support this great pub and enjoy yourself. It is a unique spot to hang out and relax with some quality beer, good affordable food, and friendly service. edit
- Clarion - Stockton Inn, 4219 E Waterloo Road, ☎ +1 209 931-3131 (toll free: +1 877 293-8697, fax: +1 209 931-0423), . edit
- Courtyard Stockton, 3252 West March Lane, ☎ +1 209 472-9700 (fax: +1 209 472-9722), . edit
- Holiday Inn Express Stockton, 5045 Kingsley Rd, ☎ +1 209 946-1234 (toll free: +1 800-HOLIDAY), . Whirlpool tubs, refrigerators and microwaves in rooms. edit
- Motel 6 Stockton - Charter Way West, 817 Navy Drive, ☎ +1 209 946-0923 (fax: +1 209 464-3948), . edit
- Motel 6 Stockton North, 6717 Plymouth Road, ☎ +1 209 951-8120 (fax: +1 209 474-3829), . edit
- Best Western Heritage Plus, 111 East March Lane, ☎ +1 209 474-3301. edit
- Residence Inn Stockton, 3240 March Lane, ☎ +1 209 472-9800 (fax: +1 209 472-9888), . edit
- University Plaza Waterfront Hotel, 110 W Fremont St Stockton, CA 95202, ☎ (209) 944-1140, . Excellent room and views of the channel.Impeccably clean rooms and hotel! edit
- Hilton Stockton, 2323 Grand Canal Blvd., ☎ +1 209 957-9090, . edit
- Econo Lodge (Stockton California Hotel), 2654 West March Lane, Stockton, CA, US, 95207, ☎ (209) 478-4300, . Econo Lodge, a hotel in Stockton California near University of the Pacific $70. (37.984146,-121.341583) edit
- The Official Visitor Information Center for Stockton, California is Visit Stockton