Stephenville, The Cowboy Capital of the World, is the county seat of Erath County in Texas, and is the home of Tarleton State University.
Erath County Courthouse in Stephenville, TX
Stephenville is a college town located about 1 hour Southwest of Fort Worth on US 377.
The city is named after John M. Stephen, who settled in the area in 1854 and donated the land for the townsite. Stephenville was incorporated in 1886. According to the 2010 census, the city has a population of 17,123.
Stephenville is the home of Tarleton State University which was founded in 1899. In Fall 2013 Tarleton had 10,937 students enrolled, the majority of which attend classes at the Stephenville Campus.
- Dallas-Ft Worth Intenational Airport, (IATA: DFW)  is approximately a 1 and 1/2 hour drive to Stephenville. DFW is a major international airport with many domestic and international flights. It is a hub for American Airlines, and is also served by Aeromexico, Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, Avianca, British Airways, Cayman Airways, Delta, Emirates, Etihad Airways, Frontier Airways, Jet Blue, KLM, Korean Air, Lufthansa, Qantas, Qatar Airways, Spirit Airlines, Sun Country, United, Virgin America, and WestJet.
- Dallas Love Field Airport, (IATA: DAL) . is approximately a 2 hour drive to Stephenville. This airport provides mostly domestic flights. It is a hub for Southwest, and is also served by Delta, SeaPort Airlines, United, and Virgin Airlines (beginning Oct. 2014).
- Stephenville Clark Regional Airport  - 1050 Airport Road. No commercial passenger service available.
The nearest Amtrak station is in Cleburne, TX at 206 North Border Street, which is approximately a 1 hour drive to Stephenville. . The Fort Worth Amtrak station is about a 1 and 1/2 hour drive away. 
- Greyhound - makes daily stops in Stephenville at 1481 W South Loop. 
- C.A.R.R (City and Rural Rides)-provides public transportation for Brown, Callahan, Coleman, Comanche, Eastland, Erath, Nolan, Runnels, Shackelford, Stephens, and Taylor counties Monday to Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm. Riders must call 1-800-710-2277 one day in advance to schedule a ride. Prices vary depending on distance traveled.
- The Airport Service-based out of nearby Granbury, TX, this company provides 24 hour service from DFW airport to/from Stephenville (one way) for $110. Add $10.00 for each extra person. An additional $10.00 is added for travel to/from Love Field. Prices subject to change. Call ahead with your flight information to make reservations. 
Car rentals are available at DFW and Love Field airports as well as the Forth Worth Amtrak station.
- From Abilene take I-20 east about 77 miles then exit on to SH 108 (Texas State Highway) south about 24 miles.
- From Austin take US 183 northwest about 69 miles then take US 281 north about 86 miles.
- From Dallas take US 67 southwest about 106 miles.
- From Del Rio take US 377 northeast about 301 miles.
- From Fort Worth take US 377 southwest about 71 miles.
- From Houston take SH 6 (Texas State Highway) northwest about 253 miles then take US 281 northwest about 20 miles.
- From San Angelo take US 67 northeast about 156 miles.
- From San Antonio take US 281 north about 208 miles.
- From Waco take SH 6 northwest about 69 miles then take US 281 northwest about 20 miles.
- From Wichita Falls take US 281 south about 132 miles.
The best way to get around Stephenville is with a car. Enterprise Rent-A-Car has a location 2620 W Washington St, Stephenville, TX 76401. .
Washington Street (US 377), which bisects the city in a Southwest to Northeast direction, is the major thoroughfare. Much of the city's restaurants and shops are located on it.
The only public transit option is provided by C.A.R.R (City and Rural Rides). They provide transportation within the city for $1.00 per trip Monday to Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm. Riders must call 1-800-710-2277 one day in advance to schedule a ride. 
Much of Stephenville is walkable and bike-able. A walk from the town square to Tarleton's campus takes about 20 minutes. The city's residential streets are friendly to pedestrians and bicyclists.
Erath County Courthouse located at the corner of West Washington and Graham streets. This beautiful Victorian structure, designed by architects J. Riely Gordon and D. E. Laub, was completed in 1893. It was constructed of local white stone quarried on the Leon River and red granite brought from Pecos County. The building has a wrought-iron stairway, tessellated marble floors, and other elegant details. The building is surrounded by a charming town square. 
Lone Star Arena - 4696 N US Highway 377. A variety of rodeo events hosted here year around. Their website has a calendar of events. 
The Stephenville Historical Museum - located at 525 East Washington Street. The museum occupies 3 acres of land and consists of 12 nineteenth century structures furnished with period furniture and artifacts. The grounds are open all day. However, tours inside each structure are only available Tuesday to Saturday 10am to 5pm and Sunday 1pm to 5pm (closed Mondays). 
Thompson Gallery of Original Art - located at 270 N. Belknap Ave. Since 1971, the gallery has been featuring local, regional, and national artists. Collector prints, originals, and sculptures. Open Monday - Friday 8:30 - 11:30 a.m., 1 - 4:30 p.m. Weekends by appointment. 254-965-7500. 
Hoka Hey Fine Arts Foundry & Gallery - located 19 miles Southwest of Stephenville on US 377. One of the foremost bronze foundries in the United States. The nine foot wax sculpture of John Wayne, sculpted by Robert Summers and cast by Hoka Hey for the Orange County California Airport, is on display in the gallery. Open Daily. Call 254-445-2017 to arrange guided tour.
- Tarleton State University - 1333 West Washington Street. Founded in 1899, Tarleton joined the Texas A&M University system in 1917. Stephenville is the home of the main campus. Tarleton also has locations in Fort Worth, Midlothian, and Waco. 
- Ranger College - 1835 W. Lingleville Rd. Is a public community college. The main campus is in Ranger, TX, with locations in Stephenville and Brownwood. 
- Stephenville Public Library - 174 N. Coumbia Street. 
Go to Splashville Water Park at 850 S Graham Ave. Open from May to August. 
Golf at Legends Country Club at 137 Ben Hogan Dr.  Or at the Tejas Golf Course at 1089 Tejas Ln. 
Race your car at the 281 Speedway at 7715 N. US Hwy 281. 
Skate at Stephenville Roller Rink at 310 FM 2303. 
Visit the Stephenville City Park at 378 W. Long or the Jaycee City Park at 1285 N Harbin. 
Walk the Bosque River Trail at the Beach street or Tarleton Street entrance. 
Watch a movie at Cinemark Cinema 6 at 2900 West Washington StreetSuite 53. 
- Bosque River Center, 2900 West Washington Street, Stephenville, TX 76401. This strip mall has several shops and restaurants. Shops include: JC Penny, Bealls, Hastings, Hibbett Sports, and more. edit
- Chicken House Flea Market - located on US 377 about 2 miles southwest of town. Open 2nd and 4th weekend of every month.
- Town Square - Variety of shops and restaurants surrounding the Erath County Courthouse at 100 W. Washington Street.
- Agave Bar and Grill - Steaks, seafood, Tex-Mex. 1911 E Washington St. (254) 968-5222. 
- China King - Chinese buffet. 2101 W. Washington Street Suite 109. (254) 918-1035.
- Don Nico's - Serves Tex-Mex and Mexican favorites at 2 locations. 806 W Washington St. (254) 968-0046 and 210 E South Loop (254) 968-6552.
- The Feed Mill at Littlejohn's - Produce market with a restaurant in back serving southern buffet, bbq, steaks, and burgers. 513 W. Lingleville Rd. (254) 968-0015.
- Golden China Restaurant - Chinese buffet. 2900 W. Washington Street Suite 51. (254) 968-5522. 
- Greer's Ranch Cafe - Southern comfort food served in the town square. 190 W. College St. (254) 434-2537.
- Grumps Burgers - Burger joint that is proudly NOT fast food. 1645 W. South Loop (254) 965-6959. 
- Habanero Mexican Cocina - specializes in authentic Mexican-style tacos and giant burritos. 2101 W. Washington St. (254) 918-2131.
- Hard 8 BBQ - Texas style BBQ. 1091 Glen Rose Rd. (254) 968-5552. 
- Jake and Dorothy's Cafe - In 2008, Texas Monthly named it one of Texas' best small town cafes. Known for their chicken fried steaks. 406 E. Washington St. (254) 956-5211.
- Jalisco - Tex-Mex restaurant known for their breakfast tacos. 865 W Washington St. (254) 965-2655.
- Montana Restaurant - Burgers, sandwiches, steaks, Tex-Mex, etc. 1376 W Washington St. (254) 968-5707. 
- Pastafina - Italian restaurant. 2897 W. Washington St. 254-918-5552. 
- Peacock's - 24 hour diner with 2 locations. 1615 W. South Loop (254) 968-2900 and 1700 W. Lingleville Rd. (254) 968-4668.
- The Pizza Place - pizza joint known for their delicious dough. 801 S. Harbin Drive. (254) 968-2512. 
- R&R BBQ - Texas style BBQ. 110 Morgan Mill Rd. (254) 918-5337. 
- Ruby's Texas Bistro - Sandwiches, burgers, Tex-Mex and more. 211 W. McNeill. 254.918.5966. 
- Santa Fe Taco Company - 2330 W Washington St. (254) 968-3668. 
- Simply Deli - Traditional deli fare, gyros, crepes, and more. 1350 W. Washington St. Suite 1150. (254) 965-1920.
- Steve and Mary's Corner Deli - Traditional deli fare. 2900 W Washington. (254) 968-5955.
- Yogurt Delicious - Frozen yogurt. N Wolfe Nursery Rd. (254) 434-5227. 
- Beans and Franks, 1296 W Washington St, Stephenville, TX 76401, ☎ (254) 965-4224, . Coffee shop that also serves gourmet hot dogs. edit
- Bostocks Billiards & Bar, 1350 W Washington St. (254) 965-3311. 
- Bull Nettle Sports Bar & Billiards, 1755 W South Loop. (254) 918-0106. 
- City Limits, Bar and live music venue. 1907 E. Washington St. (254) 968-5222. 
- Rockin' P, Bar located in the town square. 133 W. Washington St. (254) 968-5626. 
- Starbucks, 2807 W Washington St, Stephenville, TX 76401, ☎ (254) 965-1930, . edit
- Econo Lodge, 2925 West Washington, Stephenville, TX, US, 76401, . edit
- Hampton Inn & Suites, 910 S Harbin Dr, Stephenville, TX, 76401, . edit
- Holiday Inn Express, 121 Lockhart St Stephenville, Texas 76401, . edit
- La Quinta, 105 Christy Plaza, +1 254-918-2444, .
- Motel 6, 701 E South Loop, +1 (254) 968-3392, 
- September Song Bed & Breakfast, 615 N. Clinton Street, +1 254-965-6104, .
- Super 8, 921 S Second Street, +1 254-965-0888, .
- Quality Inn Stephenville, 2865 West Washington Street, +1 254-968-5256, .
- Stephenville Chamber of Commerce 187 West Washington Street. (254) 965-5313. 
- Stephenville Police Department 358 N Belknap St. (254) 918-1200. 
- Take US 67 East (30 miles) to Glen Rose and see Dinosaur State Park. 
- Take US 377 Northeast (15 miles) to Bluff Dale then turn left on County Road 148 (2 miles) and taste some wine at Bluff Dale Vineyards. 
- Take US 377 Southwest (14 miles) to Dublin, TX and visit Dublin Bottling Works.
- Take US 377 Southwest (9 miles) turn left at County Road 458 then turn left on County Road 299 and follow the signs to Veldhuizen Dairy Farm. There you can peruse their wide variety of homemade cheeses and other dairy produces. On Saturdays, they provide tours of the farm so you can see the cheese making process.