Steele  is the seat of Kidder County, in the central area of North Dakota. It has a population of about 761 people. Coordinates are 46.85 N & Longitude 99.92 W.
The town is named after the founder, Wilbur Steele, who bought the land from the Northern Pacific Railroad and erected a 3-story brick building in 1881 hoping to convince politicians to select Steele as the state capital. When that scheme did not succeed, he sold the building to the county, and it is now the Kidder County Courthouse (see below).
- By car: exit 200 (south) off I-94, about 40 miles east of Bismarck
- Kidder County Courthouse, downtown, Steele. Tel: (701) 475-2632. Fax: (701) 475-2202. Email: Rgraf@state.nd.us Listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Open Monday through Friday from 9:00 AM to Noon and 1:00 to 5:00 PM.
- Kidder County Museum is located on the lower floor of the Community Center, Steele. Displays include household, military, school setting, restaurant setting, and doctor's office artifacts. Shown by appointment. Tel: (701) 475-2684.
- Sandhill Crane: a giant, 38.5 foot tall steel sculpture stands at the entrance to Steele from I-94. It is a reminder that the town sits on flyways for ducks, geese, cranes and pelicans that use the numerous ponds and lakes that surround the town. Informational site by the statue.
- Birding (see above). Request a birding drive booklet from Steele City Coordinator, PO Box 112, Steele, ND 58482. Tel: (701) 475-2133. Kidder County, ND is considered one of the top bird watching destinations in the world.
- Golf, Cottonwood Golf Club. Tel: (701) 475-2416.
- Coffee Cup Fuel Stop, 620 Mitchell Ave N, Steele, ND 58482. Tel: (701) 475-2274
- Lone Steer Restaurant/Lounge, 615 Mitchell Ave N, Steele, ND 58482. Tel: (701) 475-2221
- Pirates Cafe, 123 Mitchell Ave S, Steele, ND 58482. Tel: (701) 475-2144
- The Depot, 102 Mitchell Ave N, Steele, ND 58482. Tel: (701) 475-9469
- Chasers, 10 miles west of Steele, in Driscoll, ND 58532. Tel: (701) 387-9425
- Lone Steer Motel and Campground, 615 Mitchell Ave N, Steele, ND 58482. Tel: (701) 475-2221
- The OK Motel & Campground, 220 3rd Ave NE, Steele, ND 58482. Tel: (701) 475-2440
WikiPedia:Steele, North Dakota