St. Michaels is in Maryland, a state in the United States of America.
St. Michaels is a collage of churches, manicured colonial, federal and Victorian homes, historic heritage, diverse artistic talents, and pleasant southern culture. It is also the proud cradle and repository of the Chesapeake's maritime history.
It's a town in constant contrast, from horse-and-buggy, steamboats, watermen's deadrises, century-old log canoes and ancient buggies to ATM's, the Internet, luxury Town Cars and fancy cabin cruisers.
It's a shopping mecca with an incredible array of fashionable clothing, antique and artisan shops to suit any ardent collector. It's a galaxy of specialty food shops (including candy and ice cream) and superb nationally-renowned restaurants destined to delight even the most demanding gourmet. Of course, succulent Chesapeake seafood, fresh from the harbors, is the regional specialty.
St.Michaels is on the Eastern Shore of Maryland and is a historic waterfront town that has kept its small town character with lots of charm and Chesapeake Bay romanticism. It is a popular B&B spot or many come by boat for the good seafood and slow relaxed beauty of the place.
St. Michaels is an area rich in history. In the dark morning hours of August 10, 1813, a number of British barges had planned an attack on the town and a fort on the harbor side. The residents of tiny St. Michaels, forewarned, hoisted lanterns to the masts of ships and in the tops of the trees, tricking the British by causing the cannons to overshoot the town. This first "blackout" was effective and only one house was struck. Now known as "The Cannonball House" a cannon ball penetrated the roof and rolled down the staircase as Mrs. Merchant carried her infant daughter downstairs. The house still exists as a private residence.
St. Michaels derived its name from the Episcopal Parish established there in 1677. The church attracted settlers who engaged in tobacco growing and ship building.
In 1805, an area was set aside for a public market known as "St. Mary's Square". Here stands a bell cast in 1841 which rang at 7AM, noon, and 5PM to measure the workday for the ship's carpenters in the nearby harbor and the remains of a cannon used in the defense of the town during the War of 1812.
Moviegoers may recognize the look of St. Michaels, for the two blockbusters filmed here: The Wedding Crashers (2004) and Clara's Heart (1988)
US-50 is the main route to St. Michaels, which lies about 30 miles south of the Bay Bridge. Heading south from the bridge, take a right on MD-322, then another right on MD-33/St. Michaels Rd. From D.C., the ride is about two hours; from Annapolis, one hour; from Baltimore, one and a half hours.
St. Michael's Marina  +1 800 678-8980, offers dockage by reservation.
- Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum Mill Street, +1 410 745-2916, fax +1 410 745-6088, . Brings to life the story of Chesapeake and its people with nine exhibit buildings and the world's largest collection of traditional Bay boats. Explore our 1879 Hooper Strait Lighthouse, working boatyard, and hands-on displays. Discover exhibitions detailing the Bay's roll throughout history, oystering, steamboats, waterfowling, and more.
- St. Mary's Square Museum, 409 St Marys Sq, ☎ +1 410 745-9561, . May-Oct: M 10AM-1PM, F 1PM-4PM, Sa 10AM-4PM, Su 1PM-4PM; Nov-April by appointment only. The museum offers a walking tour brochure (which you can also print out from their website), which is a great way to really get to know the town. Docent led tours are also available for $10/$5 during open hours, by appointment, or morning walk-ins Sa May-Oct. edit
Concerts in the Park run throughout the summer, Thursday nights.
- Skipjack H.M. Krentz (Boat cruises), 304 Burns St, ☎ +1 410 745-2900, . 11AM, 2PM, ~5PM. Public two hour boat tours cruises April-October departing from the Crab Claw Restaurant. $35/$18 children. edit
- The Spa at Harbour Inn, 101 N. Harbor Rd., St. Michaels, MD 21663, ☎ 410-745-0646 or 1-800-955-9001, . 10 am – 6 pm. The Spa at Harbour Inn is the perfect place to unwind and pamper yourself. edit
- Sail Selina II (Selina II Charters, Inc), 101 North Harbor Road, ☎ 410-726-9400, . 10am-10pm. Sailing excursions on an authentic family yacht built in 1926. Operated by third generation Capt Iris Clarke. Come help raise the sails or sit back and relax, we are here to help you enjoy your historic boating experience. Everyday April-Oct. Reservations recommended. $65pp. edit
- Shore Restaurant and Lounge Reservations 410 924-4769. Shore Restaurant & Lounge offers indoor and outdoor seasonal dining throughout the day. This contemporary, casual restaurant focuses heavily on local and exotic seafood, incorporating only the freshest local vegetables and herbs. 
- Harbour Lights Restaurant, 101 N. Harbor Rd., St. Michaels, MD 21663, ☎ 410-745-9001, . Harbour Lights Restaurant utilizes fresh local ingredients with a touch of European flair to create a unique dining experience. edit
- Pascal’s Tavern, 101 N. Harbor Road, St. Michaels MD 21663, ☎ 401.745.9131, . A fine dining St Michaels restaurant overlooking the scenic Miles River Harbour. edit
- Five Gables Inn & Spa, 209 N Talbot Street, 410 745-0100, fax 410 745-2903, 877-466-0100, . Five Gables Inn and Spa, combines three charming homes to form a haven of relaxation and rejuvenation. Fourteen rooms, indoor pool, sauna, steam room, and Aveda concept spa.
- St. Michaels Harbour Inn Marina and Spa, 101 N. Harbor Road, 410 745-9001, toll-free 800 955-9001, fax 410 745-9450, . St. Michaels Harbour Inn, Marina & Spa is a full-service resort located on the harbor, featuring spacious waterfront suites and a 50-slip transient marina offering modern facilities.
- Harbourtowne Golf Resort and Conferences Center (Harbourtowne County Club), 9784 Martingham Circle, St. Michaels, Maryland 21663 (http://www.harbourtowne.com/harbourtowne-directions.html), ☎ 800-446-9066, . A 153 acre Chesapeake Bay and Miles River waterfront resort in a natural setting offering 111 guest rooms, meeting and conference facility, Pete Dye designed golf course, restaurants, swimming pool, free Wi-Fi access and tennis. A charming location for weddings and special events with a full time, on-site wedding coordinator. $110 and up. (38.819380,-76.233327) edit
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!
Wikipedia:St. Michaels, Maryland