Sospel small town in the Alpes-Maritimes Département of France.
Sospel lays about 30 minutes from Nice and 15 minutes from Menton on the autoroute A8 with exit Menton in the Alpes Maritime (365m above sea level)
Bus service from Menton line 910 service every 1 - 2 hours depending on the time of day and the fair is cheap at €1.
Train from Nice 5 or 6 a day is €5.80 single.
By car is best. Buses are cheap and the train is not to bad either but the service are not always conveniently timed
Loads of architecture from Roman to renaissance and beyond. The are many maginot line forts to visit around the town many open just at weekends or during the week in the summer months. Fantastic walks and horse rides in spectacular scenery.
- Horseback riding
- Mountain biking
- Rock climbing
- Nature walk
Market day is on Thursday. There are loads of stalls particularly if the weather is good. Local products include honey, pesto, olives, fruit and veg. Property here is cheap compared to the coast.
Best Pizza La Cabanon by the Post Office. Best is Corsican Pizza house is L’Estabi in rue St Pierre. The Mordangne does some really great galletes and steaks too. For a snack try Suota Loggia in place St Nicolas by the Pont Vieux. And maybe the PMU Bar in Place de la Cabraia.
- Bar de Rome, Rue St Pierre. Most evenings this is where many of the local Brits and other English speakers go.
- Bar du Marche The terrace here is where you’ll see the world go by during daylight hours and on into the evening in the summer.
- Le Grenier chez Christine Alfsen, Chemin du Vier, . checkin: After 12:00; checkout: Flexible. A beautiful wooden chalet, built by a local craftsman, situated at the edge of the renowned Mercantour National Park, overlooking the Bevera valley of the Maritime Alps. Entirely refurbished using ecological materials, with a stunning wooden terrace and panoramic view over the valley. The chalet is situated on a large private property with olive groves, in an oasis of calm and natural beauty. This is an ideal spot for nature lovers and those looking for a hiking holiday - a major hiking trail departs from the house. Guests will have exclusive access to the chalet which is equipped with a small kitchenette and shower (there is also another solar powered shower outside for those who like that sort of thing). Access to a washing machine and dryer also available on request. The chalet sleeps two but if desired the property has a mongolian yurt (see photos) which can sleep several more individuals, and can be rented at an additional cost. Pets are welcome. The chalet is accessible by foot from the village (c. 45 minute walk) but a car is recommended. You can park next to the chalet. The village of Sospel is located 45 km from Nice and 15km from Menton and Monaco (about 30 mns drive to the beach), while the Italian border is 20 mns away. This is a region of beautiful views, excellent food, rich in cultural heritage. 36-57 EUR a night. edit
- For something slightly off the beaten track, go to the loft of le Mas des Oliviers,  an independent studio attached to the 250 year old mas, with all mod cons including aircon and english free to view t.v. and your own kitchenette, easy access in a 2 hectare olive grove.
- Very private and charming house: Sospel Nature, , 5 minutes from the center of the Village with a beautiful backyard and small river going through (Bevera). Perfect for family vacation. Can sleep 6 people
- For somewhere traditional, private and looked after by an English family that have lived in Sospel for 30 years, stay at The Apartment, 27 Boulevard de Verdun. An apartment in a traditional French villa, perched on the side of the valley overlooking Sospel, just a short walk from the centre. Fabulous views, self catering, sleeps 5 (perfect for families).
To discuss bookings, call 01273 771 636.
Menton is only 30 minute by car or bus. Monaco is only 45 minutes by car and Nice is about 50 minutes by car or train.