Sōngjiāng (松江) is a county in the Shanghai municipality in People's Republic of China.
Songjiang is a rapidly developing city and county nearby Shanghai holding a mixture of old houses in the western parts of the town and rapidly constructed new houses and large shopping streets.
The city is located around 30km to the south-west of Shanghai and is connected to Shanghai by buses and metro line 9.
- Sightseeing bus. Get there by using sightseeing bus 1a from the east Shanghai stadium bus station, which leaves every 30 minutes between 7:30am and 5:30pm (¥10).
- Subway and bus. You can use the subway line 1 to Xinzhuang station, then change to light rail line 5 until Jianchuan Lu. From right off the light rail station, use the Songmin bus line (松闵线) which stops at the Songjiang Fangta pagoda and also in the city center and costs only ¥3.
- Taxi. From Shanghai city its around ¥70. If you want to save a bit, use subway line 1 to Xinzhuang station, then switch to line 5 lightrail until Beiqiao station and take a taxi from there (around ¥40).
- Subway. Take line 9 to the end.
- Train. There are almost 30 trains per day linking Songjiang with Shanghai Hongqiao and Shanghai South stations (services to/from Shanghai Hongqiao depart/arrive at Songjiang South while services to/from Shanghai South depart/arrive at Songjiang). Songjiang station is about 4km west of Fangta pagoda while Songjiang South is another 2km south of that.
The Songmin bus line runs west-east through the whole city and connects the sights, most importantly the area around the Xilin pagoda and the Fangta pagoda.
Taxis are readily available and come at the same prices as in Shanghai city, ¥8 or ¥10 per km.
Also, be aware that the travel distance from Jiangchuan station to FangTi Yuan is over 1 hour bus journey, so plan your time accordingly. The park is also very small and takes around 20 minutes to walk around
- Xilin pagoda (西林塔 ''Xīlíntǎ''). A 46.5m high pagoda with temple located in the western part of Songjiang nearby the intersection of Zhongshanzhong Lu and Xilin Bei Lu (中山中路, 西林北路). The original pagoda dates back to 1440 and is within a Buddhist temple, which has been renovated recently. temple area and garden: ¥6; pagoda: ¥5. edit
- Zhenjiao mosque (真教寺 ''Zhēnjiāosì''). The oldest Islamic building in Shanghai, dating back to the Yuan dynasty (A.D. 1341) merges Chinese with Arabic architecture. A large scale repair 1985 restored much of the original beauty and in modern times 300 Muslims worship here. ¥6. edit
- Fangta pagoda (方塔园 ''Fāngtǎyuán''). Square pagoda in the south-east of Songjiang. From the Xilin pagoda central city area to the Fangta pagoda its a 30 minute walk to the east on Zhongshan Lu. The garden is a newly renovated and includes a large peaceful area and some 600 year old trees. A few "attractions", such electric boats, auto scooter for kids and the like at the outer places of the park disturb the peaceful overall impression. Still, the park and pagoda is highly recommended and a peaceful refreshment from crowded Shanghai city. garden: ¥12; extra charge at pagoda. edit
- Zuibai Pond (醉白池), 64 Songjiang Renmin South Road, 松江人民南路64 (Take metro line 9 to Zuibai Pond metro stop and it's right outside the metro station), ☎ 67853551. 07:00-16:30. Zuibai Pond is a famous classical garden which was built in honor of the celebrated Tang-dynasty poet Bat Juyi. With a history of over 900 years, Zuibai Pond covers an area about 50,000 square meters 12 rmb. edit
- Red Bar, Kaiyuan Di Zhong Hai, 3rd floor (Songjiang Qu). There is an expat bar, ran by a very friendly franco chinese couple on the 3rd floor of Kaiyuan Med shopping mall called Red Bar. Great place to meet the local expats and have a good time. edit
- The Thirsty Old Town, Miao Qian Jie, Songjiang, ☎ +8613020176247. Good news for the Songjiang Holiday Inn dwellers! the Redbar people have opened a likewise second venue, a minute walk from the Holiday Inn: The Thirsty Old Town. There you'll be warmly welcomed by Fred or Cristina, served a wide selection of draft or bottled cold beer and all the usual. Sports on TV, cool music (not too loud...), foostable, free WiFi... Just head towards the pedestrian old streets and look up for the Tiger and Carlsberg beer signs on the second floor. Leaving the hotel, if you've walked more than 5 mins, you've gone too far... edit
- Stuart. The Red Bar is by far the best place in Songjiang to have a beer or drink. edit
- Songjiang New Century Grand Hotel Shanghai (上海开元名都大酒店), No.1799 North Renmin Road,Songjiang District,Shanghai, . Songjiang New Century Grand Hotel shanghai is a new business hotel that was built according to the standards of international five-star.Hotel has 446 Luxury gues trooms, as well as Various dining options including chinese, Western and Japanese restaurants, banquet halls, conference rooms, a fitness centre and a busincss centre. edit